SuperZaxxon v1.70 released!

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
As it seems all the bugs were fixed in v1.70RC, it's time to release the final v1.70.

Note: if you are going to install the update through "Upgrade Pandora OS", from v1.61 or lower, you need to make sure to run the update to completion. If the update fails for some reason, like Internet connection problems, please run the update again and let if finish. After it successfully finishes (but not earlier), you need to reboot as the system may be unstable until restart due to updated libs.
(It is suggested to run it at least twice, to make sure all packages are installed properly!)

However, since a LOT has changed, be prepared that the update fails and you might need to do a full flash!

Here are the fixes since v1.70RC:

• FIX: Bug in Fussili-Client has been fixed (thanks to Ziz)

DOWNLOAD AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
Upgrading from a previous SuperZaxxon version (1.5x or newer):

Use the "Upgrade Pandora OS"-Version (PLEASE READ NOTE ABOVE!)
Please note:
User-Modified configs will not not be overwritten with the new version.

Be sure to backup any important data you might have in your NAND for the above reasons.
It is recommended to do a full flash in case you are encountering any issues.

Upgrade instructions using the Full-Flash-Image:

Download SuperZaxxon Final v1.70 (Temporarily disabled due to an OPKG error)

Please note: Flashing the new firmware will put your unit back into a default state. All your settings and users will be lost. Of course, this does not apply to PNDs which save their stuff on the SD-Card.

To install it, simply extract the archive onto the root of your SD Card.
Insert the SD Card into the left slot. Keep R (shoulder) pressed while switching on your Pandora and select "Boot from SD1"
It will then flash the firmware onto the NAND. After it's finished, reboot your Pandora and patiently wait until the First Boot Wizard appears on the screen.

If "Boot from SD1" doesn't appear, try to reformat the SD Card using Panasonic SD Formatter, recopy the files and retry.

Enjoy :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a full flash and now my pandora is booting kernel 2.6.27.57-omap1.

In /boot is a link:

uImage -> uImage-2.6.27.57-omap1

which must be wrong. Has anybody else this problem or is it me?

My CC flashed fine, but my 1GHz doesn't like it.

I have a "can't execute login command" when I reboot after the flash + reboot + configuration phase. Then there's a black screen after the OP logo at boot.

Tried three times.

The 1.70RC was fine.

Flashed back to 1.70RC, it works (still have the "can't execute login command" so it's probably not linked).

My CC flashed fine, but my 1GHz doesn't like it.

I have a "can't execute login command" when I reboot after the flash + reboot + configuration phase. Then there's a black screen after the OP logo at boot.

Tried three times.

The 1.70RC was fine.
I had a similar problem. I have the 1 GHz.

I did a full reflash, installed 1.70. The initial phase seem to work. It said to press enter to power off. I pressed enter, and powered it back on. It seemed to skip through the configuration phase and took me to the setup wizard. After the setup wizard it took me to the xfce desktop. I shut the pandora down and restarted it. I got a black screen and nothing happened. I wasn't able to make it turn off. So I removed the battery, held down the right shoulder key and put the battery back in. I then did a full flash a second time. Same thing happened. It skipped the configuration stage, and went right to the steup wizard, then the desktop. I restared it and I just got a black screen again.

I had to reinstall 1.70RC and everything worked fine. 1.70RC went through the configuration stage. I get the same "can't execute login command" thing as Linux-SWAT. I see it with the 1.70RC when I turn my pandora off. A black screen with the words "can't execute login command" appears very, very fast for a second, and goes away then a black screen with many lines of writing appears briefly and goes away, and then the pandora turns off. I've seen this glitch since I had 1.70RC but it doesn't seem to affect anything.

EDIT:

After reinstalling 1.70RC, I tried the "Upgrade Pandora OS" method via the internet. Upgrading from the 1.70RC using this method seemed to work. I restarted my pandora a first time, and it rebooted fine. Took me to the login screen. No dead black screen. I shut down the pandora, and then restared it a second time, and I was able to log in at the norrmal login screen. I still see the very quick "can't execute login command" thing when I turn the pandora off or restart it. But other then that, it looks like it works normal.

Sounds like updated opkg (or whatever the hell else) now overwrites the uImage symlink to 2.6 kernel, which can't even boot on 1GHz..

ED: you should bring that link down, the image is broken.

Everything is broken, it just never ends, I need to retire..

Sounds like updated opkg (or whatever the hell else) now overwrites the uImage symlink to 2.6 kernel, which can't even boot on 1GHz..

ED: you should bring that link down, the image is broken.

It's time for the Pyra to come out :) Here's hoping it won't be the same nightmare there.

Notaz, I really appreciate all your work.  As long as everyone can get their Pandora to a usable state I don't think any of us want to rush you, so pull down the link and everything, and just get to it when you can.  I haven't had any problems, and if I do I will go back to RC.  Thanks for helping out as much as you do.

Yeah notaz, you did all the hard work there and we can't thank you enough.  Don't get frustrated about this  little opkg error.  Retirement won't solve any problem.  It will make you age and weak mentally and physically faster.  So please stick around.  We need you man :)

Big thanks for all your work Notaz. I can hardly find words to say how much I respect your skills and dedication.

I can see how this error is depressing. Maybe someone else can figure out out a workaround?

Then stop. The Pandora doesn't need any more OS updates. To be honest, it didn't need this last 1.70 release nor the 1.70RC release. If it's that onerous to continue then just stop.

D.

Then stop. The Pandora doesn't need any more OS updates. To be honest, it didn't need this last 1.70 release nor the 1.70RC release. If it's that onerous to continue then just stop.

D.
Stop. Why are you always doing that?! Explaining to someone that spent hours in doing something, that what he did was useless?!

I strongly disagree.Thoses new Firmwares release are great, and will open new possibilities!

The new glib suite will open new ports

The Fusilli client in the firmware is also a nice things

The default drivers for the 1Ghz is also great.

Thank you, again, Notaz for your work, and thank you for your dedication to brings thoses updates in the firmware, and I'm sure thoses last minute bugs will be fixed and you will be able to go on something else.

Stop. Why are you always doing that?! Explaining to someone that spent hours in doing something, that what he did was useless?!
1. Please provide a link to where I said what anyone else was doing was useless.

2. Not what I meant in any case - if Notaz is finding it too much and feels like he's fighting a losing battle then it would be a good time to stop. No more Pandoras are being produced now and 1.6x was pretty much mature; there were considerably less issues with that version than with the 1.7 series.

The issues with PND compatibility are such that it's probably worth most people's time to stay with 1.6 - at least PNDs will still all work and you're not out of luck if some of them are no longer maintained.

I'm all for Notaz continuing to grace our scene with his work and I do appreciate it, but if he's no longer enjoying the job, then he should stop.

D.

1. Please provide a link to where I said what anyone else was doing was useless.
Bah, muppen64plus v2.0, but that's another topic and didn't wanted to put that here.

2. Not what I meant in any case - if Notaz is finding it too much and feels like he's fighting a losing battle then it would be a good time to stop. No more Pandoras are being produced now and 1.6x was pretty much mature; there were considerably less issues with that version than with the 1.7 series.

The issues with PND compatibility are such that it's probably worth most people's time to stay with 1.6 - at least PNDs will still all work and you're not out of luck if some of them are no longer maintained.

I'm all for Notaz continuing to grace our scene with his work and I do appreciate it, but if he's no longer enjoying the job, then he should stop.

D.
Ok, I miss-interpreted what you wrote. It's because I think, once you have invested enough time and energy to something, you want (have?) to finish what you have started, so you can go on with something else.

I know the switch from 1.60 to 1.70 has some impact on the current PND ecosystem, but most broken PND are mine anyway, so I'm fine with that (because I knew that beeing so far from Firmware had some drawback), and I'll update everything as soon as I can.

Bah, muppen64plus v2.0, but that's another topic and didn't wanted to put that here.
Ah no. Not that developing Mupen64 2.0 was pointless - that it was not as good as the previous version, and it still isn't. It's certainly a lot slower on my CC Panda.

Back to the topic at hand - can it be guaranteed that future OS updates will not make current PNDs invalid? I doubt it. It's fortunate that you are around to update yours, but that's not true of every PND on the repo - some will be made unusable which have no maintainer now, and that will (if the PND is considered important enough) lead to shenanigans involving compatibility layers and will eventually end up like the old Amiga 1200, with kickstart-changing loaders and all sorts.

D.

Most .pnds on the repo should be free software, so if they are broken and important enough someone else will fix them or port them anew.

From the Top 10 downloaded, 2 are not. That's still most, but 20% is not insignificant either.

Back