Squidgesnes V0.37a Released

i use lots of translated roms with this and mostly they work fine. well in normal 37 anyway the auto frameskipping didn't seem to work well for me so i use 37 with frameskip 1 most times.

i think there has been a few translations that give me problems and tales of phantasia is one of them which won't even load up.

on the other hand Bahamut Lagoon, Ball Bullet Gun, Fushigi no Dungeon 2 - Fuurai no Shiren, live a live, king of demons, Romancing SaGa 3, Sanrio World Smash Ball, wizardry 1-3 collection, bastard, super fire pro wrestling premium, go go ackman, Umihara Kawase, seiken densetsu 3, shin nekketsu kouha, and monstania all work perfectly with no problems.

Well I think this release is very cool - Super mario kart is, in my opinion, the best racing game ever and despite a few odd colours it runs pretty well. Only thing which bugs me is that I find it hard to use the weapon button when holding down the accelerate button - but that's my problem!!
Super Mario Kart is playable for you? It's really choppy for me (So choppy that it's unplayable at the moment). Let me make a video and confirm we are getting the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I think this release is very cool - Super mario kart is, in my opinion, the best racing game ever and despite a few odd colours it runs pretty well. Only thing which bugs me is that I find it hard to use the weapon button when holding down the accelerate button - but that's my problem!!
Super Mario Kart is playable for you? It's really choppy for me (So choppy that it's unplayable at the moment). Let me make a video and confirm we are getting the same thing.

It's choppy for me too, with 270mhz I only get about 18fps and under. Not quite playable in my opinion for such a fast game, maybe an RPG but not a racer.

with this version no games are playable for me which ive tested, including SoM.

the sound hack from another version doesnt seem to be in this hack either because the sound is crappy and fuzzy

Shove a video into virtual dub, select 'Decimate by 3' and it divides the frame rate by three. I assumed that to decimate meant to divide. I do saa the way as a decimal point dividing or multiplying by 10 movies the decimal forward and back etc.

It strikes me that ToP probably doesn't work simply because the program is expecting up to 4Mb rom sizes - and it is a whopping 6 (iirc the largest SNES game ever).

It falls into the box with Star Ocean of being tough to do right and something to get working right at the end, I think - once everything else is optimized and such.

While we're on the subject of that special chip, Street Fighter Alpha 2(yeah it was released on the snes) used it too.

AFAIR Star Ocean used a special chip, ToP didn't.

My bad. It used a special driver according to wikipedia.
"It was the first SFC game to be 48MBit in size and was also the first to feature streamed audio voices, made possible by sound programmer Hiroya Hatsushiba."

Is this the right place to post bugs?

I've noticed only one that really effects gameplay, and that's sprite overlaying - they're in the wrong order in quite a few games, mostly noticable in RPGS like Robotrek for example. You'd have two objects, one further behind another, but that object's sprite will be in front of the other one, it looks quite odd. Same with the sprite characters, someone in front of you will have there sprite on top of yours, so if you walk up next to then, you lose your head where their legs are.

Another thing is scanline like lines over text boxes in final fantasy 3 which makes font difficult to read, but i'm not sure if that's just related to the intro.

That is all :)

Is this the right place to post bugs?

I've noticed only one that really effects gameplay, and that's sprite overlaying - they're in the wrong order in quite a few games, mostly noticable in RPGS like Robotrek for example. You'd have two objects, one further behind another, but that object's sprite will be in front of the other one, it looks quite odd. Same with the sprite characters, someone in front of you will have there sprite on top of yours, so if you walk up next to then, you lose your head where their legs are.
That's not really bug, it is caused by the "Fast Sprites" option. The bad news are that the option can't be turned off in this version.

I have a question. Are there any other SNES emulators, hopefully PC, that use the same type of "Save State" as Squidgesnes? I really want to play Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (yes, I like the game), but it can't get past the title screen because of a weird animation thing it does. I was hoping I could get past it using another emulator, save the state, and then transfer it to my GP2X and just skip the title screen all together.

Back