Squidgesnes 0.35 Hack

primeris posted on Mar 28 2006 at 05:40 AM said:
I dunno... since the last version of SquidgeSNES, I can open any ROM, zipped or not with no problems. The previous releases were problematic, and I had to start up Castlevania IV on .34 before .35 would work. That, and/or Actraiser. Never tried CloneKeen.

The SquidgeSNES_dr2.gpe is the one I use without problems.
the roms didnt load for me but i guess i'll try the latest version like you suggested i really havn't read this whole thread so i guess i didnt notice it. thanks for the link though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
there seems to be a problem loading roms that have an SRM save file associated with them, they don't load until you load another rom first.

I've been playing with the 2nd hack patch for a while, this is what I worked.

For me, I can mostly only load roms that are zipped.

I tried about 15 roms that were not zipped and only two worked. Mario Kart and Mario's time machine.

I also found some Bugs.

BUG 1
When I put the volume on the lowest audiable setting the min volume tag comes up occasionally and does not go away. To fix, I have to take the volume down one and up one again, so that it is told to go away.

BUG 2
Selecting load state when no rom is loaded crashes the emulator.

BUG 3
The battery icon does not update whenever the menu is loaded, it waits for menu navigation.

the second hack works for me but the transhack thing doesnt. i really dont mind it though. thanks reesy for hackintg this emu :D and thanks squidge for making it :D

Transhack works fine to me. It's not very pretty so I only turn it on when I have to. I prefer to remove a layer before using it but some games you have no choice like Chrono Trigger.

His avatar looks like that sicko GG Allin... but i dunno. Maybe a babarian?

ok, this is a bit of a threadjack, but kind of interesting anyway.

Google confirms that it is indeed GG Allin, whom I'd never heard of before today.

Wikipedia tells me that he was a punk musician who also dabbled in country and western and rolling stones-style rock. Wierd enough, but not nearly as wierd as this:
wikipedia said:
He was born Jesus Christ Allin at Weeks' Memorial Hospital, in Lancaster, New Hampshire.[1] He was given this messianic name because his father, Merle Allin Sr., then 32 years old, had told his wife, Arleta Gunther, then 21 years old, that an angel had visited him and told him that his new-born son would be a great man in the ilk of the Messiah. As a young child, his older brother, Merle Allin Jr., was unable to pronounce his name, Jesus, properly, and kept calling him 'Jeje'. Hence, the origin of the 'GG' nickname.

edit: Bloody hell that was some funeral he had. If you aren't squeemish try reading his wikipedia entry. Crazy stuff.

[/threadjack]

Babarian?

You mean one of these?

babarian.jpg

Allan.

GG Allin?

Never heard of him.

After reading the wiki, I am quite pleased of the fact. Sounded like a bit of a tosser to me.

Well it was an interesting read... What is it with some people and their fecal fetishes?

sand_man posted on Mar 31 2006 at 02:54 AM said:
Well it was an interesting read... What is it with some people and their fecal fetishes?

that should read: what is it with performance artists and their fecal fetishes?

With the sound 'crackling' mostly fixed by this hack and transparencies not bothering me that much, I suppose the only major problem I experience with SquidgeSNES is an issue with the speed limiting. When I run my '2x at around 300 MHz, and do NOT enable the FPS Limiter or VSync, it runs much much too fast. Yet when I turn on the limiter, which I'd expect to limit the emulation to 60 FPS for an NTSC game, it instead drops it to well below 30 FPS in a lot of situations. With a lot of tweaking and playing with the settings I can achieve 60 FPS with 1 frameskip at near 300 MHz. But things tend to abruptly speed up or slow down, or become choppy.

The way an emulator SHOULD behave with a 60 FPS lock and 0 max frameskip should be that it runs at 60 FPS no matter what, and if the amount of work the SNES emulation demands per frame cannot be MET then the old frame is repeated until the new one is done-- the way the SNES and other consoles locked to a 50 or 60 Hz vertical refresh rate operate. Instead, though, even with 0 frameskip, SquidgeSNES likes to accelerate or slow down erratically and with 1 Frameskip it still likes to skip a seemingly random number of frames, or stutter every few seconds out of nowhere with otherwise smooth emulation. It's very erratic and different each time I run it, not very consistent.

Other than that, speed with it is quite satisfactory and I have to say I'm overall really very happy with it.

Epicenter posted on Mar 31 2006 at 01:26 AM said:
With the sound 'crackling' mostly fixed by this hack and transparencies not bothering me that much, I suppose the only major problem I experience with SquidgeSNES is an issue with the speed limiting. When I run my '2x at around 300 MHz, and do NOT enable the FPS Limiter or VSync, it runs much much too fast. Yet when I turn on the limiter, which I'd expect to limit the emulation to 60 FPS for an NTSC game, it instead drops it to well below 30 FPS in a lot of situations. With a lot of tweaking and playing with the settings I can achieve 60 FPS with 1 frameskip at near 300 MHz. But things tend to abruptly speed up or slow down, or become choppy.

The way an emulator SHOULD behave with a 60 FPS lock and 0 max frameskip should be that it runs at 60 FPS no matter what, and if the amount of work the SNES emulation demands per frame cannot be MET then the old frame is repeated until the new one is done-- the way the SNES and other consoles locked to a 50 or 60 Hz vertical refresh rate operate. Instead, though, even with 0 frameskip, SquidgeSNES likes to accelerate or slow down erratically and with 1 Frameskip it still likes to skip a seemingly random number of frames, or stutter every few seconds out of nowhere with otherwise smooth emulation. It's very erratic and different each time I run it, not very consistent.

Other than that, speed with it is quite satisfactory and I have to say I'm overall really very happy with it.

What clock setting are you using exactly? And is it stable?

Back