Squidgesnes V0.37a Released

Wait, so you mean it already syncs immediately when actually saving?

If you mean, it forces Linux to flush it's caches to the SD card when saving the SRAM, then yes. Doesn't every emu do this? Otherwise you could end up with a corrupted SD card.

I dunno. I seem to remember losing some Dragon Quest time because I saved, kept playing, and my cells died. In hindsight, it may have been on NES. Good call, though. Shoulda given you more credit. :) It also forces a sync when you save state too, I assume?

Last edited by a moderator:
games i have tested and work plus what speeds; :)

breath of fire 1. << works perfectly with sound and runs at roughly 20fps

chrono trigger. << works ok with sound and runs at roughly 20fps

donkey kong contry 1 2 and 3 << work rubbish with and without sound and run at roughly 8fps

secret of evermore << works ok with sound and runs at roughly 20fps

final fantasy games 2 4 5 6 and mystic i still need to test.

harvest moon runs 100% perfect with sound at 30fps

legend of zelda a link to the past << OMG ITS PLAYABLE (if u r a little patient and can put up with minor grachic probs) !!!

lionking mario paint mariorpg and pacman 2 i need to test.

secret of mana << works ok with sound and runs at roughly 20fps

space invaders spiderman and streetfighter 2 i need to test.

super mario all stars + world i've JUST TRIED AND ITS WAY TO FAST! . it runs at 40fps and is to fast. (maybe someone can sort this) ?
same as super mario kart.

lost vikings itchy and scratcy and tetris/dr mario testing later sometime.

and FINALLY yoshis island << will not even start. (maybe its corrupt i'll try a dif versoin)

mario kart also runs to quick. at 35 fps.
is there a way to slow it down??
ok as i typed this its goin up and down from 10 and 40 now...
ok at actual racing its 14fps normally which is 2 slow

also street fighter 2 turbo is 15/18fps and to slow to play

and kardasan u r right :)

and drakken is mostly 20 but upto 35 at some bits.

drakken 2 is 100% playable at 25/30fps normally

pacman world 2 is 20/25fps and runs perfect

spiderman vs venom runs at 14/18fps and is slowish

super mario all stars + world i've JUST TRIED AND ITS WAY TO FAST! . it runs at 40fps and is to fast. (maybe someone can sort this) ?
same as super mario kart.

:huh: :huh:

Full speed = 60 fps. Do you have frameskip on? I am running it with frame skip turned off in the menu, and the game runs extremely smooth and at proper speed (30-60 fps with the auto frameskip to smooth things out).

And Mario Kart too fast? I can't get over 15 fps when racing. Too choppy to play.

DKC and Mario Kart both run full speed for me but are VERY choppy. DKC2 and DKC3, on the other hander, are full speed and very smooth. My settings:

260mhz
vsync: ON
FS: 2
Fast sprites: ON

(DKC3 is slow in the huge world map, but fine in game and in the smaller zone maps)

For some reason changing the frameskip has NO effect on how fast or choppy games are (Yes, I save settings and make sure that the setting doesn't revert back).

DKC and Mario Kart both run full speed for me but are VERY choppy. DKC2 and DKC3, on the other hander, are full speed and very smooth. My settings:

260mhz

(DKC3 is slow in the huge world map, but fine in game and in the smaller zone maps)

For some reason changing the frameskip has NO effect on how fast or choppy games are (Yes, I save settings and make sure that the setting doesn't revert back).
With FS two you are skipping every two frames and displaying the third. that means you just decimate 60fps by 3 which equals 20fps. not worth playing at all. FS1 is ok in my opinion but I am more of a perfectionist.

don't bother to test mario rpg and yoshi's island... they are not supported as they need an extra chip emulated. That feature is not implemented yet and it is uncertain if it ever will (might be too slow)

I don't believe the SuperFX processor will ever be emulated with acceptable speed in addition to the rest of the machine. Took a while to get emulated on the PC side of things too.

All of the games were tested on following settings:
OC: 255MHz
FS: 3
V-Sync: off
Fast Sprites: off (it's useless now right?)
Audio: on

Results:
Civilisation - fully playable. Didn't bother to look on the fps
Aero Fighters: 20 - 40FPS
Alien vs. Predator: ~30FPS but there are graphic glitches (blonking screen)
Battle Cars - ~22FPS
Battle Commander - Hachibushuu Shura no Heihou - 30 FPS
Bio Metal - 12-15 FPS not smooth enough to play
Bomberman B-Daman - 20-25 (50 in menus) FPS
Bust-a-Move - 15FPS, playable but could be better
Contra III - 15-20FPS, playable
Doom - freezes after title screen
Dragon Quest - ~50FPS but there are graphic glitches when you keep FullScreen off
Dungeon Master (E) - ~30FPS but unplayable because of graphic glitches
Wing commander - 20-30 FPS but ships are invisible (graphic glitch)
WolfenStein3D (beta) - Loads but outputs strange things on the screen

That's all for now, my batteries are dead and I have an exam today I'm going to fail...
Upcoming games:

Galaxy Wars
JRR Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings - Volume 1
Lufia & The Fortress of Doom
Jack Nicklaus Golf
Last Battle
Last Battle III
Light Fantasy
Light Fantasy II
Full Throttle Racing
F-ZERO
GT Racing
Imperium
Flashback - The Quest for Identity
Fire Emblem - Thraki 776
Fire Emblem - Seisen no Keifu
Fire Emblem - Monshou no Nazo

260mhz

If you use the 0.37a version, then the frameskip option is unsed.

don't bother to test mario rpg and yoshi's island... they are not supported as they need an extra chip emulated. That feature is not implemented yet and it is uncertain if it ever will (might be too slow)

Doesn't Super Mario RPG just use prerendered graphics, similar to DKC? No special chips or anything?

Edit:
"Technical

Super Mario RPG was a 32-megabit (4MB) game, which was relatively large for the SNES. It employed the SA-1 chip on the cartridge. This chip is essentially a 65816 clocked at 10MHz, running on an ASIC." from wiki...

But that's a drop inna bucket compared to the graphic chips and the likes...

Well I think this release is very cool - Super mario kart is, in my opinion, the best racing game ever and despite a few odd colours it runs pretty well. Only thing which bugs me is that I find it hard to use the weapon button when holding down the accelerate button - but that's my problem!!

o right thx for sayihng that.

also i ran everything at default settings.

Back