Squidgesnes 0.39

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
Finally finished implementing my spc700 ASM core. Also merged code with my Symbian UIQ2 port, which I had done half a year ago (it had some nice optimizations too).

The performance improved, but i'm not sure if I didn't break something. Added "Audio performance hack" option which makes better use of that spc700 core by doing less sync between emulated chips, but it only works with some games (other hang or add noises). Also added sound quality selector (please note that previous version was locked to 16500Hz stereo).
[cut]
The bug list below will probably need to be expanded with newly introduced bugs, so I'm waiting for your reports. Note that graphics code was not changed, so do not expect any improvements there.

Make sure you turn off "Audio performance hack" before trying games, because it breaks most of them.

changelog:
  • Fixed some serious memory leaks in the menu system, which caused emulator crash after entering menu certain number of times.
  • Hopefully fixed some strange slowdown/blank display issues.
  • Fixed incorrect centering in some games.
  • Frameskipping/framelimitting engine has been completely rewritten.
  • Sound outputting code has been also rewritten.
  • Sound quality is now selectable (was previously forced to 16500Hz stereo).
  • Merged source code with Symbian UIQ smartphone version (including addition of ASM spc700 core and various other optimizations in main CPU and sound code).
  • Removed loads of (hopefully) unused/dead code.
  • SuperFX emulation added (Yoshi's Island works but runs very slow).
  • Other minor changes.
List of things which need fixing:
major problems / need lots of work:
  • Transparencies are not supported
  • Performance should be better
TODO / problems to fix:
  • [improved in 0.38] Sprite priorities
  • [done in 0.39] Rewrite sound outputing code
  • [done in 0.39] Integrate the SPC700 asm core
  • [done in 0.39] add another faster shortcut (L+R+Start) for menu
  • [fixed in 0.39] The "Vol Min" or "Vol Max" text comes up in the middle of the screen out of nowhere and annoys people
  • [fixed in 0.39] In some games the picture is not center
  • [fixed in 0.39] Frameskip seems to be set at auto no matter what you choose.
  • ROMs do not start from command line
  • [fixed in 0.39] CPU speed would better be choosable in increments of 5
  • Audio is choppy in very demanding games (need to improve buffering)
  • Need ability to save different settings for different games
  • Equinox: sprite layers slightly wrong. Your character sometimes appears in front of objects when he is really behind them.
  • Mario Kart map screen: sprite priority problems
  • Gradius 3 US: when you're trying to select a type for your ship, the other types are invisible instead of grayed out until you highlight them.
  • Crono Trigger: sometimes after a fight, the sprites gets alot of random sprites around them
  • Super Metroid 2nd level, after Cirrus Station: just keep going down the level and you'll eventually hit a section that is completely black
  • [fixed in 0.39 but unplayably slow w/gfx corruptions] Yoshi's Island: needs SuperFX emulation, which is now broken
  • Super mario RPG: needs SA-1 emulation, which is now broken
  • Street Fighter Alpha 2: needs S-DD1 emulation, which is now broken
  • When you adjust the volume, it blocks out other button presses.
  • IPS patch support
  • broken in 0.39
  • Super mario kart: stutters with the audio when it appears with the nintendo logo
  • Super Ghouls n Ghosts: When you throw weapons it sounds like a "laser" . When you kill a zombie it sounds like they let out a big fart :p
  • .fig files not supported anymore
  • command line is broken completely
  • save states are lost after rebooting GP2X (sync() is not called after save state)
  • Actraiser: noise and no music at the beginning logo intro
  • Actraiser 2: no sound at all and when you hit start to go to the title screen it's completely black
  • Tales of Phantasia: does not work unless you turn APU off.
  • broken in 0.391
  • The mario all stars roms with super mario world included all segfaults on the same spot (after the fade out when pressing start) (worked in 0.39?)
Latest version is 0.391:
download here
(you may need to wait until archive updates)
[/cut]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question... what happens if I use gMenu2x for selecting clockspeed? :unsure: Is the built-in overclocking tool disabled?

YOSHI'S ISLAND WORKS WOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

me so happy :D. Wasnt the yoshi's island problem the same as super mario RPG?... if so, that now works, amirite??

thank you notaz, excellent work :D

edit: oops, missed the part where you talk about SM rpg :D

Hmmm...all the sites I checked still have the .38 version. I guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to trying your release man! Good job B)

reiboul posted on Oct 22 2006 at 04:04 AM said:
I have a question... what happens if I use gMenu2x for selecting clockspeed? :unsure: Is the built-in overclocking tool disabled?
gmenu2x will then set the clock speed, and that will stay in effect til something changes it, so if squidgesnes changes when it starts, or at some point, it will use the new clock speed.

Fez posted on Oct 22 2006 at 08:23 AM said:
Every body must be asleep on the other side of the planet or something come on guys.

No, that's not true. But EvilDragon is the only person, who can release this new version on the file archive.
So we all have to wait...

Regards,
Stephan

Wow... Notaz added SuperFX already O_O nice :) I will have to see how slow/quickly Star Fox runs :p

Wasnt the yoshi's island problem the same as super mario RPG?... if so, that now works, amirite??
Nope... did you bother reading Notaz's post?
# Super mario RPG: needs SA-1 emulation, which is now broken
SA-1 != SuperFX

Back