Squidgesnes 0.39

mtracy posted on Oct 23 2006 at 05:01 PM said:
1.The sound in F-Zero 1 and 2 is really bad. Is it possible to fix that? I tried all kind of settings.

Notaz, I guess it would be a good idea to have frameskip set to auto by default in the next release :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you going to release source code for your new versions? IIRC, the Snes9X license doesn't require you to, but it would be nice :lol:

Donkey Kong Country works great on some levels and jerkily on others.

The very first level for example runs around 20fps but the 2nd level (dark setting) runs well, bonus levels (from the 2 that I've tried so far) run very smoothly if not perfect and gives us an idea of how the game would feel if it was running 100% all the time. In-game character sections also suffer from this slowdown even though theres hardly anything going on.

Any idea whats causing the slowdown?

Super Mario Kart is playable and I can actually collect coins and power ups now :D

Screen flickers now and again and sometimes theres very short pauses while playing.

Super Mario World runs near perfect with 44.1khz sound! very nice :D

Great work Notaz, thanks!

stormyandcold posted on Oct 23 2006 at 06:04 PM said:
Any idea whats causing the slowdown?
Prallax BGs.
Donkeykong works better on NK's emu for some reason.

Some levels also have mode7 effects in the background, I'm sure that doesn't help

Why doesn´t anybody tell me about the auto-fs function??!! I just flicked it on accidently and suddenly all the games worked just about perfect!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Well, the sound in F-Zero is really nice now, but the other Problems didn´t get solved. This emulator is coming along great! Wonderfull work Notaz!!! :D :D

mtracy posted on Oct 23 2006 at 07:18 PM said:
Why doesn´t anybody tell me about the auto-fs function??!! I just flicked it on accidently and suddenly all the games worked just about perfect!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I agree.. using auto frame skip gives me best results.. ISS (PAL) fullspeed at 210mhz, 11 something khz sound. I get the same speeds on .37c...... when i turn the sound off

I was just playing through the first level of Yoshi's Island. I had the full screen and the sound turned off. I was getting anywhere between 1 to 15 fps. It depended how much action was taking place on screen. :) I was using 265mhz for my CPU clocking and auto frameskip. It was somewhat playable at 15fps. I would always have trouble keeping baby mario on my back at 1fps. Blasted man eating flowers. <_<

edit:
Donkeykong works better on NK's emu for some reason.
snesgp2x(nk's) has transparency support and it is not full screen. I am testing some of the roms that has problems with Squidgesnes 0.391 with snesgp2x(nk's) and the ones that I see some problems with generally it is the transparency issue. I am playing those games with snesgp2x(nk's).

Hey people, don't be afraid to play with those options. That is why they are there. I have mine setup sweet and nice, so my games are playing perfect.

hmm so it's based on snes9x didn't know that.
I know that snes9x windows version has cheat searching capabilities i don't know if the linux version had this capability or the version of snes9x where squidgesnes is based on. but if it has this would u mind creating a frontend for the cheat searching on the gp2x or if this takes to much time just make a way to dump the snes memory to a file and add a way in squidgesness to load up a cheat list (for example ini file with games name as section and cheatXoffset CheatXValue CheatXDescription as sectionvariables) where u then be able to go through the list and select a single or multiple cheats. All u have to do then is write the value specified in the cheats (ini) file to the snes ram at the offset adress at a certain interval (say every 250ms or sumthing).

if u do it with just a file dump i can create my own tool to search for cheats.

i'm aware this is just a niche feature and other things have priority over this but it would be nice :)

yalborap posted on Oct 23 2006 at 05:34 PM said:
Ninja Warriors is sadly still at 15-30 FPS, even when I overclock.

I found with Ninja Warriors that the autoframeskip didn't work as well on .39 as .38, but when I set it to FS1 it worked better than ever.

And yes, this game seems to be more CPU-intesive than almost any other without a special chip.

As stated; Tales of Phantasia does not work unless you turn sound of.
Also, Star Ocean´s graphics are blurry as hell! tried two different romsets.

Keep up the good work!

murak posted on Oct 23 2006 at 09:10 PM said:
Also, Star Ocean´s graphics are blurry as hell! tried two different romsets.

This has a special graphics chip, the S-DD1 -- I'm surprised it works at all!

AutoFrameskip really isn't that great, most games run a lot smoother if you set FS to 2 instead (@ 266 MHZ). I'm currently playing Donkey Kong Country with amazing 44.1 khz stereo sound :) It runs excellent apart from the few levels that use mode7 / hi-res color backgrounds and transparence light effects. (first jungle level, level before the mine train etc.) For me personally, the new higher sound quality settings improve this emulator a lot, well done!! :)

"SunSpire"

SunSpire posted on Oct 24 2006 at 09:13 AM said:
AutoFrameskip really isn't that great, most games run a lot smoother if you set FS to 2 instead (@ 266 MHZ).
Actually, I like the complete inverse. I can't play without autoframeskip ;)

Great release Notaz, I'm really enjoying it.

Mudi posted on Oct 23 2006 at 08:51 PM said:
Are you going to release source code for your new versions? IIRC, the Snes9X license doesn't require you to, but it would be nice :lol:
Of course, after I fix some minor issues and clean it up a bit.

joyrider posted on Oct 22 2006 at 11:08 AM said:
sometimes the screen flickers don't know exactly how to explain this

This drives me nuts :)
I thought my gp2x was busted but after installing 2.1.0 only this emulator is giving me this flicker problem, everything else is flicker free. I thought it might have been memory timings but turning them off didn't change anything. I tried different clocks and so on, nothing changed. The little 'flicker' happens frequently when playing any games on this emulator. This might be a tough bug to catch so I'm not holding my breath. Great work!

SunSpire posted on Oct 24 2006 at 07:13 AM said:
AutoFrameskip really isn't that great, most games run a lot smoother if you set FS to 2 instead (@ 266 MHZ).

yeah the autoframeskip is quite hazardous, i tried in yoshy's island for example, it can almost be playable at 280mhz with a little frameskip,

put the autoframeskip, and it gets scary! :D

FFVI is quite playable at FS 2 (280 MHz and 22.5 kHz stereo sound). Audio sync suffers pretty badly when load's high though (such as when panning over Narche in the opening cut-sequence) and there's some annyoing noise and pops when certain sound effects are played. Other than that, it's cool. Can't wait to see what'll come of this.

I can actually play Super Ghuls N Ghosts now, with sound, fullscreen! Before it was really choppy. 245mhz.

I think we are gonna have a near perfect emu for snes soon.

I've found another bug which I wanted to share, dunno if it's been spotted before but if so, my apologies :p

A savegame that's been created with audio "disabled" will not load when audio hardware is being enabled later on. Basically I was playing Donkey Kong Country with sound and saving my game progress every once in a while, then later disabled sound emulation to see whether or not performance would increase, and continued saving. Then later, when I turned sound emulation on again I could not load the savegames that I made during audio being turned off ...

Quite odd but maybe it can be fixed? :) I have to finish the game without sound now or start over from the beginning, argh

"SunSpire"

Back