Some PCBs, holidays, a new case revision and a theme

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Some PCBs

Nikolaus grabbed some partly-populated PCBs last week (we had an automatic assembly for the parts that couldn't have been hand-soldererd easily):

DSC01929.jpeg

This is a PCB which can be connected to the OMAP5 EVM. It has a connector for a touchscreen and two different displays (the two 720p ones I have here for testing). It also has the Rotator chip from Solomon Technologies installed.

DSC01932.jpeg

This is a display PCB which connects the LG FullHD LCD to the OMAP5 EVM. This is basically just for testing that the PCB works (as we got the driver for the FullHD one already).

DSC01931.jpeg

This is how it looks like when everything is connected to the Display testing PCB :)

DSC01928.jpeg

This is a very very very first version of the CPU PCB. You can see the two connectors for the main PCB already and also pads where the parts will be later. Additionally, there's a third connector (on the right side) where we can connect the OMAP5 EVM to.

So with that board, we can already test that we got enough space and that the connectors basically work and are reliable, even though it's not yet populated but used the OMAP5 EVM as CPU :)

Once that PCB is fully finished... well, then the hardware part of the Pyra will be mostly done :)

Nikolaus already finished populating the PCBs and made some quick hardware checks.

The hardware seems to be fine, now he needs to code the drivers.

As he is on a (well-deserved) holiday until next Saturday, nothing will happen this week, but hopefully we've got the LCDs working next week.

A new case revision

The designers finished a new case revision.

They added the transparent Pyra logo to the back of the lid and also a first version of four shoulder buttons (which I'd probably like to tweak a bit).

I've already ordered new 3D prints which I should receive within the next 10 days.

A new theme

Not sure if anyone already found out - but if you'd like the boards with a nice Pyra-themed look, you can use "Change Theme" on the bottom of the page and change it to "Pyra".

If you find any errors or have ideas for improved colors on the boards, let me know here :)

What's next?

Well, Nikolaus will work on the displays so I can test them and finally choose the best one.

After that, Nikolaus needs to finish the main PCB and work on the CPU and LCD PCB.

The display we choose needs to get a touchscreen as well, so I'll have to take care of that.

Testing the shoulder buttons and improving them will be another thing I have to do, as well as discuss the keymat with the two companies I narrowed down.

And I need to figure out where to best fit the LCD Cable.

Of course, the new battery is something we need to evaluate as well...

A lot of things happening at the same time, but slowly coming together.

Exciting times :)

No censorship! :D

Well, I hope everything will work well at the end. This is a pretty big "Sandwich" in the Pyra: Main PCB + SoC PCB + SoC + Heat Sink ontop, and everything must fit into a tiny Handheld not larger than the Pandora and their single PCB design. ^^"

if you'd like the boards with a nice Pyra-themed look, you can use "Change Theme" on the bottom of the page and change it to "Pyra".
Ahah, that's what that was. A short while ago I was checking the forum and suddenly everything turned red. A couple refreshes later and everything was back to normal. :p

If you find any errors or have ideas for improved colors on the boards, let me know here :)
The Like This button still has a blue border. Not sure if this is intended, I don't think it looks perfect.The "More Reply Options" button is red and white, while the Post button is Black and not white but an only slightly lighter gray, doesn't fit together.

Edit: Wait, is there green in that loading bar thingy?!? (no, no, no, no, no)

Last edited by a moderator:
Exciting, indeed!

One day EvilDragon will have to write a book: HOWTO efficiently produce a quality device from scratch :)

The logo / name banner at the head of the new theme doesn't quite look right.

Its otherwise very nice :)

I use mobile version because it's lighter with the pandy (using ugly wifi). There's no theme (or I don't know were to change theme with mobile version)

Thank's for this update, Pyra will be very nice :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the look of this new Pyra theme.  Only minor problem I have with it is I can no longer see what threads I've already posted in on the new content view.  The Pandora theme has two icons - on with just the logo, one with the logo and a yellow star in the corner to indicate you've already posted in that thread.

Ahah, that's what that was. A short while ago I was checking the forum and suddenly everything turned red. A couple refreshes later and everything was back to normal. :p
I also saw that, since it was only in Pyra section I didn't search for a way to bring it back (unless he switch it when I went to the main section), I thought it was a test.

I don't now if it's only me but the Pyra theme isn't as zooomed as the Pandora one, I prefer the Pandora size. That wine red is a good choice.

I like the look of this new Pyra theme.  Only minor problem I have with it is I can no longer see what threads I've already posted in on the new content view.  The Pandora theme has two icons - on with just the logo, one with the logo and a yellow star in the corner to indicate you've already posted in that thread.
Yes, this is what is stopping me from switching to the new theme. It's important that there are two different icons. Perhaps the one that indicates you have already posted could look as if it is burning? (flame color cycling animation)

I don't now if it's only me but the Pyra theme isn't as zooomed as the Pandora one, I prefer the Pandora size. That wine red is a good choice.
same here, seeing borders on the sides on pyra theme that warent there on pandora theme

same here, seeing borders on the sides on pyra theme that warent there on pandora theme
Right.

On the left and right are two big red bars on the side.

That does nothing than wasting space the topics can use.

Weird. I only changed the colors, nothing else - and I think I made the icon with the little dot as well, but I'll check that.

Can someone with a bit of experience figure out what CSS parameter is responsible for the website zooming?

Back