Multiple PCBs at once.

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
This is just a quick update about how things are proceeding.

It's basically a Nikolaus-only update, as not much else has happened in other areas, except that I got the first samples of 720p LCDs, but I need to wait for the display PCBs before I can test them :)
A different 720p model should arrive in about 1,5 weeks as well, and Nikolaus designed the Display PCB with both connectors, so we can use one PCB to test both.

1. The Display PCB

The PCB to test these LCDs is basically finished.
We will probably produce them within the next two weeks.

2. The SoC Board

If you followed my posts, you'll know that the first SoC Board will NOT have the SoC installed yet, but a plug where it can be connected with the OMAP5 Devboard.

However, there's basically everything except the OMAP5 already included, so once that's done, almost everything is finished. Well, almost sounds easy, but wiring up the OMAP will still be a lot of work, so that'll take a while.

The SoC board (without the OMAP) is also pretty much finished already. As usual, the last bits take longer than the rest. :)

That's some nice progress going on there, hope to have some case news ready next week :)

Tnx for the update, hopefully the screens will work smoothly, i remember last time you guys had some headaches with incomplete spec sheets.

Tnx for the update, hopefully the screens will work smoothly, i remember last time you guys had some headaches with incomplete spec sheets.
Yep, but this time we're getting huge support from both manufacturers, so we've got all needed datasheets already, and they'll also reply to questions we have.

Thank you.

What about the new battery, is it fit? is it exactly 6000mah?

Last edited by a moderator:
This pleases me, 2014-2015 is shaping up to be a great year of the Pyra! Can't wait for all the tiny little parts to become one single amazing device!

EDIT: Also, question. How long has the tiny chip-o-ma-screen-a-mafi-er thing on the LCD PCB been in production by the company? Did you ever find if they plan to update it to better specs and higher resolutions?

EDIT: Also, question. How long has the tiny chip-o-ma-screen-a-mafi-er thing on the LCD PCB been in production by the company? Did you ever find if they plan to update it to better specs and higher resolutions?
Let's be happy with the 720p display for now.

It's cheaper and might fit our needs better at the moment.

In some years the 1080p displays might be cheaper and there might also be some rotation chips for higher resolution.

Yeah i prefer the 720p display too.

the 1080p screen adds little benefit, but does give you disadvantages such as a huge performance hit due to software rotation, eats a lot more battery power, and costs more.

Thats a whole lot of disadvantages for a higher resolution that you can barely notice on small screens.

1080p can wait until the Pyra2 :)

I can't understand why some people want a 1080 screen, the only advantage is for the hdmi out. All the others points are disadvantages.

You can easily display 1080p on a external screen? If it is so, there is NO reason to have a 1080 screen...only disadvantages.
It's a common HDMI connector.

You can output everything the SOC can handle.

It's the same as it's with a Notebook.

If you connect it to an external Monitor you also can display resolutions higher than the own (low res) screen.

I can't understand why some people want a 1080 screen, the only advantage is for the hdmi out. All the others points are disadvantages.
Well, I am a fan of a Full-HD screen (but I design whatever ED and the community needs :) .One use case of Full-HD in a handheld device is to VNC to a remote machine with even higher resolution (e.g. my desktop pc which I use for CAD work for the Pyra has 1200x1920).

And if I put a 5 inch panel in 17 cm distance from my eyes the picture covers the same area of my retina (except different distortion) as the Full HD screen does in ~65 cm distance. So I see almost the same image and resolution. I assume that I then still can read all the menus and identify the icons without loss of quality (except speed)...

As long as I don't have Presbyopia I can read a screen in 17 cm distance. According to German Wikipedia (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Akkomodbreiterp.png) all people with age <37 years should be able to focus on 17 cm distance.

Another use case is (pre)viewing high resolution digital photos.

Yeah i prefer the 720p display too.

the 1080p screen adds little benefit, but does give you disadvantages such as a huge performance hit due to software rotation, eats a lot more battery power, and costs more.
FWIW, if the rotation chip supported 1080p, there would be no performance hit from rotation, at least if you're happy with the slightly lossy compression it uses. But yes, it would all cost more and burn through the battery quicker. And 720 lines is still almost twice what we already have in an only slightly bigger area.

I'm a little confused by the SoC board at the moment. If it doesn't have the SoC on, and that includes the RAM and NAND I assume, what's left to have on there?

I'm a little confused by the SoC board at the moment. If it doesn't have the SoC on, and that includes the RAM and NAND I assume, what's left to have on there?
It can imagine that even a empty board that acts as a connector to the OMAP board can be useful, how else will you connect both boards.

Also you can fit everything in a case to see if it fits.

In the end this board is useless because the OMAP has to fit into the case also.

Looks better every News Post than long Time Ago whit the Pandora,

Only whit this CPU on the CPU SOC putting thing this couldnd be easy, but i count on nicolaus Board Design Skills..

Back