Some News Of Things To Come...

the more hype there is, the more people get brought to the GP2X like I've seen recently just to play PSX games, and then they are utterly disappointed.

That's a bald-faced lie. I haven't seen anyone who bought a GP2X *just* to play PSX games.

You've become little more than a troll, Epicentre.

Last edited by a moderator:
the more hype there is, the more people get brought to the GP2X like I've seen recently just to play PSX games, and then they are utterly disappointed.

That's a bald-faced lie. I haven't seen anyone who bought a GP2X *just* to play PSX games.

You've become little more than a troll, Epicentre.
I'm not here to impress you, "Gaterooze". And if you're going to call me a troll, at least spell my name right.

Regardless, there was just a rather heated thread in this very subforum from a user who was deeply troubled how his GP2X won't play FFVII as he was assured it would, if you require more than anecdotal evidence.

I'm not here to impress you, "Gaterooze". And if you're going to call me a troll, at least spell my name right.

Regardless, there was just a rather heated thread in this very subforum from a user who was deeply troubled how his GP2X won't play FFVII as he was assured it would, if you require more than anecdotal evidence.
Who ensured him it would? People should do research before making a purchase. Just because somebody did not does not mean we should not be supportive of Zod and the other devs working on this project.

UK spelling, I apologis(z)e.

And I honestly believe the 'troll' epithet is warranted. You have well-documented personal grudges against GPH and gp2x.co.uk, and now take any opportunity to slag off their hardware.

Heck, I still enjoy playing on a machine with 64*k* of memory and 5.25 floppy disks -- hardware limitations are often irrelevent to levels of enjoyment, so just let people have fun without being Mr. Bring-down.

edit:

Could you please point me towards that thread? I must have missed it. I'd like to see if that was the sole reason he bought a GP2X, because that would be rather foolish.

Try something that's actually halfway stressful and get back to me. The PSX is doing fuck-all in what you just showed me, and it's still running at about half the proper framerate, and often dips below that.
half the proper framerate how do you know that, (looked at the code ?)
so it would run like 30fps by your estimation ? (seems pretty fast and playable to me)
Im not trying to belittle you in any way but you seem awfully negative towards the efforts layed down on psx4all (like vultures circling a man soon to die)

but psx4all is not dead its lead designer/coder resigned and handed over the codebase to Unai, so i think psx4all will annoy you a bit more (or maybe its we who are cheering it,s progress that annoys you)

so the next clip from unofficial psx4all beta (i think that its unai,s betatester thats tests the new gpu versions)
would run 15fps with full 3d characters by your thinking (still impressive by my standards)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv2pRYZ3eKc

and DaveC whats this about transperancies not working on snes emu ? (i thought NK,s emu had them)

the limitations of the gp2x is well known by now but seeing hdr lighting in payback made me think that the hardware wall hasnt been hit yet
youre right that the GTE emulation can slow things down to a crawl but floating point math in the psx ? (i thought so to at first but haven,t found any documentation to back that up if you know any docs i can read about fpu+gte il be very interested in reading them)
and the gpu of the psx seems to be a framebuffer device for 2d graphics with some extra quirks thrown in (Gouraud shading,flat shading,texture mapping,parallax scrolling routine)

im not saying that psx4all will be fullspeed ever but playable yes and that,s what counts in my book

@ epicenter

you are right in this case: people have to know, that psx-emulation is far away from perfection!

but the sound makes the music! maybe you know what i mean

i restore 40 yaers old cars. someone told me i`m stupid, because i could buy a new car for less money, a car with abs and powerstearing and airbags and so on. i was angry, even though i know this person has not the vaguest notion of oldtimers. you should never talk about the work of other people disrespectful, especially if you are unknowing!

@evol

I agree with you :)

btw: wipeout on psx4all is the only (modern) playable 3d racing game on the gp2x

psx emulation on the gp2x has been and always will be a techdemo, the only real way to get semi decent psx emulation is optimization per game rather than for overall compatibility.

I appauld the coders who are working on the emulation code and i have donated, i have donted not for a playable emulator but for the effort they are putting in and to see how far the 2x can be pushed and the new tricks learnt along the way that can be used in other projects.

you want handheld playable PSX emulation get a PSP.

me im of for another game of stunt car racer and powerdrome :)

Unfortunately there are people on this board who appear to be constantly negative about things; but that's just the way they are. I guess they're trying to be helpful; but they don't know everything.

It takes a long time for people to understand the limitations of a system and successes and failure are part of that development. Devs are constantly pushing the boundaries - look at what progress is being made on a weekly basis.

Kev

Well just because we may not "know everything" doesn't mean we know nothing either. Many equate as realistic=negative. That is just interpretation. If I said "the GP2X will never have a playable Xbox emulator" Some would call me negative but it is in fact just being realistic.

All it takes is a moderate to basic knowlege of hardware and how emulators work to have a very good feel for what is possible at what speed and what is not. Those with such knowledge realize that PSX emulation on the GP2X is a dead end if you want more than a few simplistic games to run marginally playable. Then again some of us have a real high threshold for pain. 10 FPS and no sound may be ok for some I suppose.

There are also some posts claiming that I am knocking the devs. That is totally false as well. I said in my post how talented I think the devs involved are. It is just a question referring to the basic fact that the PSX is just not a good system to attempt to emulate on this hardware. I basically was just wondering why there was so much interest in emulating a system that is not very practical and will never be too playable. There can be many reasons and I was just wondering what they were.

and DaveC whats this about transperancies not working on snes emu ? (i thought NK,s emu had them)

Well the NK emu is way too slow. It has transparencies but it runs a 20 FPS with no sound unless you overclock it to 300 MHZ (which I can't do). That is not my thing.

and davec look at it like that: we are getting close to perfect snes emulation, we have neo geo, mame, and there are 2 or 3 gba emus in the works which all seem to progress nicely (or at least the ideas are coming along nicely)

so whats left to emulate? i think its psx right? and imagine final fantasy trilogie at say 25fps with sound (it doesn't have to be crystal clear) wouldn't that be cool? thats at least 120 hours of netto gameplay. if you do every sidequest you come close to 300 hours.

i say go on guys and get the holy grail of gp2x emulation! you are doing a great job!

What is left? well there are MANY that still could use alot of fixing up. Some examples:

C-64 - still needs overclocking and the sound is not too good. This could be full speed with near perfect stutter free sound at the default clockspeed.

Lynx - still needs overclocking. This could be full speed with near perfect stutter free sound at the default clockspeed.

SNES - still needs alot of overclocking. Many games are slow, none have transparencies.

NES - some games get slow, sound pauses/stutters. This could be fullspeed with sound.

PC-Engine - None of these are all there. The best one was Vobbo's emu but the sound had alot of problems. This could be improved.

Amiga - this still needs alot of overclock and the frameskip is a bit high.

Atari-ST - Good but the sound is not quite there yet.

Vectrex - None exist

Intellivision - many games don't work.

So while there are alot of emus out there alot could still be improved. I am not knocking them or the hard work that was put into them. They are all great to have and are very good. The point here is that it is not really like we ran out of stuff to be worked on to the point where PSX is all that is left.

NK has a nack for doing things halfway and abandoning them doesnt he? <_<

Too bad, his snes emu has some potential. I'm sure in a year we'll hear of him starting a psx emu that has 98% compatibility and runs full speed. but we'll have to overclock to 310 and he'll never bother touching it again.

My opinion on PSX emulation is that it will never be full speed. From studying the hardware in the PSX and in the GP2x, it will never run full speed. However, I would not be surprised to see this emulator run 2D games with sound at playable framerates (25-30) with overclocking in only the 240-260mhz range.

I agree that 3D games are more than likely never to become much more than a fast slide show, but 2D games are very likely.

Final Fantasy 7 and 8 (perhaps 9) are the only games I am really interested in from the PSX. Shoot, just playing FF8 on the current PSX4Gp2x is pretty cool, but for me, it only runs at playable framerates if I run my gp2x at 295mhz w/o sound. Plus, it crashes from the intro video with Quistis in it. With some serious work, this game may run at playable framerates in the 265-295 mhz range with sound, maybe. Do not hope, however, for it to run at even near full speed with sound at 200mhz. The gp2x just doesn't have that kind of power.

However, I believe that many people are just looking for a portable final fantasy 7 experience from their GP2x. And I think comments along the lines of the devs should just forget about this emulator and move on should be kept to oneself, no matter how one feels. I know Unai has some serious knowledge about the psx and the gp2x hardware and if he is still willing to work on it, more power to him. Shoot, the guy even worked on getting a playable Dreamcast emulator on the Xbox (never released, however). If that ain't both impressive and seemingly impossible, I don't know what is...

If I said "the GP2X will never have a playable Xbox emulator" Some would call me negative but it is in fact just being realistic.

I don't think anyone would call you negative for saying that. Okay, maybe a few people... :p

I don't get you man, what the hell is the problem? you could have either:

A. A GP2X that doesn't run any PSX games because assholes like you are being negative and prevent PSX emulation

B. A GP2X that emulates some great PSX games at decent speed.

I personally am waiting for ff7 to be at decent speed. it's ALMOST there and it IS possible with further optimalizations. FF7 can be about 70 hours of very entertaining playtime, so even for ONE game it's worth to have.

If you are so negative about this emu why are you posting here? do you actually want to PREVENT that unai and zodttd and tinus work on the gp2x version of psx4all?

GET OUT OF HERE...

Oh you don't like RPG's on the PSX and you think a lot of people agree with you? how the hell would you know what people like? just because you and some friends only play FPS games doesn't mean everybody does. Just stop posting your negative shit and go to a thread about something you DO like...

My aplogies, Quoting was being uncooperative so I put quotes in Bold.

evol: half the proper framerate how do you know that, (looked at the code ?)
This is proof you do not know what you are talking about and should stop arguing by this point. As an example... from that video you showed me, the average 'Framerate' indicator showed 52ms.
1 Second = 1000ms (Milliseconds).
Framerate indicator shows ~52ms. So, one frame is taking ~52ms to generate.
1000ms / 52ms = 19 frames can be fully drawn per second.
That's 19 FPS. Profiling your code in milliseconds just makes more sense from a development standpoint.

evol: Im not trying to belittle you in any way but you seem awfully negative towards the efforts layed down on psx4all (like vultures circling a man soon to die)
Do spare me the theatrics. I applauded Zodttd/Unai's accomplishment, but the effort is in vain and is not worthy of more wasted effort.

evol: but psx4all is not dead its lead designer/coder resigned and handed over the codebase to Unai, so i think psx4all will annoy you a bit more (or maybe its we who are cheering it,s progress that annoys you)
Yes, there is something about racing fans cheering on a horse with two broken legs that irks me. Technically it's still moving... but how far?

so the next clip from unofficial psx4all beta (i think that its unai,s betatester thats tests the new gpu versions)
would run 15fps with full 3d characters by your thinking (still impressive by my standards)

Looks stuttery and unimpressive, and the scene being drawn is very simplistic still. The PSX is not a powerhouse, but this does not even begin to approach its capability.

evol: the limitations of the gp2x is well known by now but seeing hdr lighting in payback made me think that the hardware wall hasnt been hit yet
Payback does not use HDR lighting. Do you even know what it is?

This is HDR: http://www.unrealtechnology.com/screens/HDRGlow.jpg

Payback has 'lighting' painted on surfaces and almost 0 true lit surfaces. It lighting methodology is more primitive than that of 3D engines developed in 1997. HDR was developed within just the past few years and is only now making it into games. It sucks the last bits of computational capacity out of multi-GPU PCs using the lastest graphics hardware. If it was actually claimed officially that Payback utilized HDR lighting, you were lied to. And from our previous talks, its developers lie to Craig about the graphical technologies used in Payback's engine almost as much as he lies to everyone else.

evol: youre right that the GTE emulation can slow things down to a crawl but floating point math in the psx ? (i thought so to at first but haven,t found any documentation to back that up if you know any docs i can read about fpu+gte il be very interested in reading them)
To the best of my knowledge this secondary processing unit in the CPU performed floating point calculations for the R3000A CPU translated to integer instructions run on the actual core, much like a mobile FPU is an integer processor that would appear to handle floating point code by internally treating it as fixed-point math and giving its results back to interpreted as 'floating point'. Regardless, this unit emulated would most likely end up being implemented as FP code, not integer. Relegating this task to the ARM940T to behave like a GTE would be an interesting idea, but it would likely be negated by the hammering of the bus and ARM920T to a strong enough degree to make it pointless to do so. It will also not likely put a significant enough dent in slowdowns due to the 3D rendering job being the worst part of the emulation.

evol: and the gpu of the psx seems to be a framebuffer device for 2d graphics with some extra quirks thrown in (Gouraud shading,flat shading,texture mapping,parallax scrolling routine)
I have not seen any evidence to support this. However, the argument is largely irrelevant, as the slowdowns resulting from the stress of drawing a 3D scene will result all the same whether the rendering job would've been primarily performed on the GTE or the GPU, as the GP2X lacks the CPU and memory subsystem speed required to handle the fill rate among many other aspects of 3D rendering. The video display hardware in the SNES didn't do that much computational work outside of scaling/rotation, but the GP2X will still struggle to draw what it did, because it was specialized hardware.

STTrife: A. A GP2X that doesn't run any PSX games because assholes like you are being negative and prevent PSX emulation
Ahahaha, I cannot prevent independent developers from coding whatever they want to. I can make suggestions. You are being delusional.

STTrife: B. A GP2X that emulates some great PSX games at decent speed.

I personally am waiting for ff7 to be at decent speed. it's ALMOST there and it IS possible with further optimalizations. FF7 can be about 70 hours of very entertaining playtime, so even for ONE game it's worth to have.

I can only discern from your username that Final Fantasy 7 is unnaturally important to you, therefore skewing your viewpoint on the matter heavily. The work required to make this game run decently will take much more than 70 hours. Probably months. Maybe over a year. If it ever happens. And even then, it won't approach full speed. That is a textbook waste of time.

STTrife: If you are so negative about this emu why are you posting here? do you actually want to PREVENT that unai and zodttd and tinus work on the gp2x version of psx4all?
I think PSX4ALL should be continued to be improved, with an OpenGL renderer, for other platforms. I don't think specific optimization for the GP2X is a worthwhile investment of time.

STTrife: GET OUT OF HERE...
I'm having a perfectly rational and enjoyable discussion here. You are the one out of line. If you want to stop listening to me, ignore me or leave yourself. However, I will not cease discussion of any topic simply because you told me to.

maybe there are other options to get a psx-gamesy playable. specifical optimization here, tweaking there, downsampled monosound, reverse clipping of unnecessary parts of the gamescreen. all gamespecific improvements like special timings. the kompatibility will be lost, but maybe you will get a ff7-, or a wipeout-emu.
try to make out of the "horse with two broken legs" a healthy donkey, and the community will be pleased.

@STTrife

Calm down. It is not worth to get banned because of such an ignorant and arrogant person. I think gaterooze is absolutely right, he is a troll. And the first rule against trolls is: Do not feed them...
My advise: Use the "ignore" function of this board.
Perhaps it is better to close this thread. This discussion leads nowhere... :(

Regards,
Stephan

Unfortunately there are people on this board who appear to be constantly negative about things; but that's just the way they are. I guess they're trying to be helpful; but they don't know everything.

It takes a long time for people to understand the limitations of a system and successes and failure are part of that development. Devs are constantly pushing the boundaries - look at what progress is being made on a weekly basis.
Well just because we may not "know everything" doesn't mean we know nothing either. Many equate as realistic=negative. That is just interpretation.
Personally I'd just let these guys get on with what they want to do and not try to guide them towards the tasks that you would like them to work on - pointless I think/hope. We all would like the limited number of devs to work on our personal favourite emulators or games <_<

At the end of the day, my post was endeavouring to say that leave them to develop the PSX emulator until either we have a great release or it runs it's course and they call it a day - you cannot decide when that is. Only zodttd/tinnus/unai/etc can.

I don't know what your's (I guess you're a guru for a reason) or EC's experience is - maybe you could look at the transparencies problem or whatever it is on the SNES that's so important to you (I've never had a SNES, so I think SNES emulation is pointless and a waste of devs' time :rolleyes: - j/k).

10 FPS and no sound may be ok for some I suppose.
Maybe that's all we'll ever get on some games - that FF video is running at an impressive speed though.

At the end of the day PSX emulation is not of huge importance to me or maybe many others on here - but what is important is that people are developing on a multitude of things and lessons learned from projects that push the envelope can and will help other projects.

Personally I'm not interested in getting into a slanging match about this with anyone, but telling people who work hard on a project, that they're effectively wasting their time is so wrong and condescending. I think they can judge for themselves if/when that's the case

EDIT: your -> you're ;)

and i thougt that fullspeed for psx was 30 fps not 60 its not designed to output progresive scan pictures because a television uses interlacing so i bloody well knows its 60fps for a emu to be fullspeed but it,s only because handling interlaced pictures internaly is much more straining than just to upload progresive scan pictures

but to go as far to say that "This is proof you do not know what you are talking about and should stop arguing by this point."
is bloody below anyone whos not trolling i have not said anything that would call for that 19 frames progresive scan is 38 interlaced frames
(have i insulted you in any way you seem to be on defence)

yes so i was lied to but it sure looks like hdr lightmaps
http://www.apex-designs.net/payback_gp2x_report.html

so youre saying that the vectormath is calculated in floating point from what i have read the gte has fixed point math locked at a consistent precision (so the perspective in scenes has a very short draw distance)

i could be wrong but plz back it up with docs on gte+fpu

No one can tell a developer what to do with their free time. The only moment I ever proposed a developer take on a specific project, I offered him a monthly payment for it. I am in no position tell anyone how to spend their time, and often a job like this requires enough effort it could be a full-time job! No one should be taking on the attitude that anyone is going to force developers one way or the other. I severely doubt Zodttd/Unai and the rest of the gang work on PSX4ALL because of this community, espeecially with how many targets it compiles to. They do it because they want to. What I, you or anyone else says will not matter at the end of the day. We can encourage. We cannot force.

Epicenter, how easily you change the tide to your advantage. A couple of posts ago, you dismissed the efforts on PSX emulation as something that leads nowhere, wasted time, a deadend. That is one of the many ways you can negatively influence a developer.

If so many people appreciate these guys's work on PSX emulation, who the fuck are you to piss on their fire? You obviously have a personal agenda against the GP2X and what should be programmed for it, as well as against GPH. And by the way, you still didn't manage to properly justify why you can't code a decent 2D shooter for the GP2X, yet you're the first to dismiss PSX emulation, as well as other 3D projects, such as Payback, against which you provided not a single valid argument, only idiotic, personal insults.

Enough of you already.

- Alex

The reasons that PSX emulation cannot achieve full potential are the same reasons I've chosen not to continue development for the GP2X, only slightly different application. The biggest obstacle in emulation of the PSX is lack of dedicated hardware rendering for the 3D frames. This applies to both 2D and 3D games, as the PSX generates 2D scenes using textured polygons. Stargazer will not achieve our intended intensity on the GP2X due to lack of a proper 2D accelerator to perform high-speed blitting. This is essentially the same problem-- the GP2X could draw all the wireframes for thousands of polygons just fine, with a fast integer-only renderer. But filling those polygons ('fill rate') will be appallingly slow due to the minimal blitter, CPU poorly suited for standing in for an accelerator, and issues with bus contention and RAM bandwidth. This is the same sort of delay encountered drawing a large number of pixels to the display in a frame for a sprite-intensive game.

There is no playing of a situation 'to my advantage', I have nothing to gain from whether PSX games run acceptably. there are only 2 PSX games I even care to own, and I'd play them so infrequently I'm happier running them on a PC anyway.

I am stating fact and being honest, as are many others in this thread. I have no personal agenda for the GP2X. However, you have sought ME out to antagonize. You are the one guilty of personal attack. The hypocrIcy of your arguments is appalling.

Back