[SOLVED] Help With Wifi

puppydee said:
well i have a small victory. I´m actually adding this post with my pandora, yippeeee. I haven't figured out my router yet but it logs onto my friends network instantly so its my god dam router, so my pandora is fine. i'm gonna reset everything at home and try it again but i'm super happy now. Like i said before thanks for all the help from everyone :)
Haven't read the entire thread, but I have an anecdote.
My laptop connects to my router just fine. I've had many laptops and PSPs and DSis connect to my router just fine.
My friends laptop connects, sometimes gets an IP, rarely is able to connect out, not even ping. The wifi stick I bought for my BeagleBoard is in the same boat, except it never even gets an IP address.
The solution was to use a static IP and DNS rather than trusting DHCP. We have no idea why, it's just the way it's worked for some reason. Some wifi devices connect through and interact with the DHCP just fine, others do not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well after my day at my friends I've returned home and reset my router back to factory settings thinking that would cure it but it still only lets me get the odd first page but nothing after. So I know I'll get there eventually it's just a pain in the ass figuring it out but I know it's just a setting here or there I need to do.

I'll probably try the "use a static IP and DNS rather than trusting DHCP" you mention WizardStan and marshal but I want to post 2 screenshots first of my router settings but before I do is there anything I shouldn't show on them like my mac address or anything else which probably shouldn't be shown for security reasons? I just want to give you guys a look into my router to see if you can spot something in there that should be changed or switched off etc etc. Let me know and I'll upload the 2 images :)

edit: Oh btw marshal my wifi signal is 100%, even downstairs it's really good. My router is upstairs btw :)

Hmm

Seems Pandora does not like sky routers as I have been having similar problems.

I was able to connect and browse this morning.

Then I couldn't. I disabled the network and wireless then re-enabled and it wouldn't accept my already saved network key. I reset the Pandora and all worked fine.

I twiddled around setting up a static IP but no progress. I tried pinging the router and destination was showing as unreachable.

After a little more messing about I got a re-occurance of the problem of the network key not being accepted. Even after a couple of resets it would not accept.

The only way to reconnect was to delete the existing connecion and connect again re-typing my network key.

Now, when I ping my router it says that there is no connectivity, but I can still reach google using the direct address provided in this thread. A situation that clearly should not be occuring!

:(

if there is some kind of problem in communication between Pandoras and sky routers it could prove problematic as they're generic Netgear routers that an awful lot of ISPs give away.

On the other had I guess that's good news as it means there's more chance of a fix being made :)

Mines a Sagem router but a sky one. I think I'm gonna ring sky in a min to see if they can talk me through it. I hate ringing them because I nearly throw the god dam pc through the window or break the phone. I hoped we could figure it out because they're not gonna know what a Pandora is and it'll go round and round and round and round and cost me a fortune and a load more grey hairs, lol :)

Pleng said:
Hmm

Seems Pandora does not like sky routers as I have been having similar problems.

I was able to connect and browse this morning.

Then I couldn't. I disabled the network and wireless then re-enabled and it wouldn't accept my already saved network key. I reset the Pandora and all worked fine.

I twiddled around setting up a static IP but no progress. I tried pinging the router and destination was showing as unreachable.

After a little more messing about I got a re-occurance of the problem of the network key not being accepted. Even after a couple of resets it would not accept.

The only way to reconnect was to delete the existing connecion and connect again re-typing my network key.

Now, when I ping my router it says that there is no connectivity, but I can still reach google using the direct address provided in this thread. A situation that clearly should not be occuring!

:(

The wifi on my netgear sky router is VERY dodgy, with a wide variety of wifi devices.

Hi, have you checked to see if there is a firmware update for the router. I had the same problem when connecting my PSP1000 a few years back, make sure you get the exact model number from under the router and back up the settings, just in case sky have any extra configuration settings.

Yeah, a firmware update for the router might be a solution.

You could also check if any Linux users have problems with that router - as it sounds it's more likely an issue with Network Manager than with the WiFi chip.

Can't speak for the Sagem, but there is no firmware upgrade available for the Netgear

Well just got off the phone with sky and they don't support lynux only windows and apple??? she also said that entering a dns server wouldn't fix it because they dont use them??? lol. So day 2 and still no internet. I'd jump on a train and head the hundred miles up to you guys but that won't help coz you'd need to be connected to my router to see if it works :( Do you think maybe a dongle would make any difference? I even thought about sticking it on ebay but I don't really want to do that. I don't know guys. You had any luck Pleng?

edit: Will try the WEP but since it won't work with no encryption it shouldn't make any difference :(

edit2: Never had any problems with any of my routers. Pandora is the only thing that wont run on my router, my ipod, iphone, laptop, netbook work fine so?

puppydee said:
Well just got off the phone with sky and they don't support lynux only windows and apple??? she also said that entering a dns server wouldn't fix it because they dont use them??? lol. So day 2 and still no internet. I'd jump on a train and head the hundred miles up to you guys but that won't help coz you'd need to be connected to my router to see if it works :( Do you think maybe a dongle would make any difference? I even thought about sticking it on ebay but I don't really want to do that. I don't know guys. You had any luck Pleng?

edit: Will try the WEP but since it won't work with no encryption it shouldn't make any difference :(

edit2: Never had any problems with any of my routers. Pandora is the only thing that wont run on my router, my ipod, iphone, laptop, netbook work fine so?

Sell it, then you can buy a router that supports a free operating system and be ever so much richer for it.

EvilDragon said:
Wow, a lot of people seem to be having problems with a Sky router.

One fixed it by switching back from WPA to WEP... no nice solution (not as secure as WPA), but might be worth a shot.

Nar WEP didn't work and tbh i didn't think it would. The person who fixed it by using WEP was this on a pandora or just some guy on windows?
So where do I go from here?? I did suggest me posting my router settings in my post earlier but nobody answered. I'm all out of idea's guys? should i just try reflashing it or something. My midori does crash pretty often and I notice when I do get the first page to load the bar that goes across doesn't actually complete it just gets stuck, could that be something to do with the problem?? I just clutching at straws at this point :(

Sphinxter said:
puppydee said:

Sell it, then you can buy a router that supports a free operating system and be ever so much richer for it.
Lol and get an ipad :) they come out over here on friday, drm and all :)

Have you tried using Arora instead of Midori? shouldn't help if it is a network problem but Midori had some bugs if I remember correctly. It is always good to remove possible weaknesses.

Good luck.

Back