Kinda Serious Wifi problem

NESnero

Alright, so I got my Pandora a few days ago, and did a few thing here and there, I then set up a VPN connection to my home Wifi, and connected to the good ol' internet, however after about 5mins the wireless shut out for all computers. Later that night, (after I had disconnected) I decided to re-connect, so I simply clicked on the network, yadah yadah, and I was surfing for about five minutes, before the ENITRE wireless signal for all the computers cut out and was unable to be re-connected to AGAIN.

Now at first i thought it was co-incidence that the wireless from the router simply stopped when I connected my pandora, but its been the exact same symptoms. The wireless was up for a good 7 hours tonight before I decided to connect my pandora to the wifi, then bam. All wifi for all the computers in the home disconnect, my laptop, my brothers computer and laptop, and the pandora!

So i dont know why, but something to do with the Pandora connecting to my wireless signal, causes the entire wireless network to crash, and requires us to reset the router for us to re-connect, with ANY computer.

Halp.

(running hotfix 5 btw)

let me guess... belkin router, right?

... no but seriously belkins suck hard... similar thing would happen to me after 4-5 devices connected and passed traffic

let me guess... belkin router, right?

... no but seriously belkins suck hard... similar thing would happen to me after 4-5 devices connected and passed traffic

You make a good point. Maybe it's less because he's connecting the Pandora, and more because he's connecting 'one more device'....

I wouldn't be surprised. My Belkin router acts pretty much the exact same way to the presence of my Pandora. Changing the channel helps a bit, and running the Pandora's Wifi at full strength seems to make a huge difference. Ultimately though, I bought a Linksys router and put DD-WRT on it. Works fine.

I have a dlink router and I think the pandora has been knocking the wireless offline enough that my laptop wont connect. I have to power reset the router. Doesnt happen all the time, but when it does i think the common denominator is that i used the pandora. Ive also been thinking maybe it occurs when i hook it up for charging.

I can't quite comment on whether it's the Pandora or the router or not, but this behaviour used to occur with older British Telecom routers and Apple's computers (it didn't matter how many machines were connected - add one post-2007 Mac and the whole network would snuff it)... I ended up changing my router, though the Pandora worked fine with both of them.

Is there another router that you can try, possibly?

Make sure to untick "Keep connection alive" on your router settings, that's a evil for many devices. Especially printers.

But yeah, the main cause is because of crappy router. If you want quality router better get something that supports openwrt or dd-wrt (and even then you need to look around a bit)

To quote B-ZaR's new Airstation n600 with openwrt

Code:
[18:48] < B-ZaR> | it's nice how my new wlan AP gets >600KiB/s out of pandora's wifi

[18:49] < B-ZaR> | barely got 300KiB/s with the old one

Last edited by a moderator:
I`ve noticed in Tomato (on a wrt54gl), when the Pandora connects the whole wireless network drops from 54 mbps to 1-2... It could be the same thing going on but more extreme.

I've never had any issues with my linksys and the Panda but it may just be because it's a higher end model. I went through 3 Belkins before I decided to get my linksys. lol crappy Belkin.

Back