So Who Got Their Psp's Already? (us Ones I Mean)

i want to get one bad but all the sellers on amazon.com don't ship to europe except one,who canceled my order because they were on backorder.anyway,would i be fine with a jap one from lik-sang,or are these still the old batch with problems?

afaik you are just as likely to get a dead pixel etc in a unit from Japan or America.

Sony doesn't seem to have much in the way of reserves of PSPs, as soon as they are made they are shipped to retailers, assuming they're all made in one location you should be fine getting one from Japan.

Essentially the problem with deadpixels is that with any mass market LCD device you're eventually going to have some, so Sony has basically said they arnt a defect right there in the manual. They expect people to come out with a few so it's technically not defective as long as the unit still functions as required.

Anyone know how well its been selling yet? Im still undesided on whether to get it or wait for the europe release but that could be months off. But anyway that means more sales in america cause all the people in europe will be wanting one that has games in english. Wat do you all think? should i just import one from america or wait for the europe launch?

i thought there was no region lock on them? Anyway i have looked at the japanese versions and they're going relatively cheap on ebay. I cant get it now cause ive got to revise for exams in 2 months so it would be for later anyway so ill wait and see what the prices are like then. Failing that i could nag my mum to fork out for one for my birthday soon. But i wont be getting the value pack cause there no point in me getting it.

Ganepark32 posted on Mar 25 2005 at 08:21 PM said:
i thought there was no region lock on them? Anyway i have looked at the japanese versions and they're going relatively cheap on ebay. I cant get it now cause ive got to revise for exams in 2 months so it would be for later anyway so ill wait and see what the prices are like then. Failing that i could nag my mum to fork out for one for my birthday soon. But i wont be getting the value pack cause there no point in me getting it.
They arent region locked but hes talking about UMD movies which are.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been calling around, Toys R us, Gamestop, EB, Game Crazy, Best Buy, Fry's, are all sold out of PSP's as of the first day.

That should be a good indicator how well they are selling.

And I've been saying forever that as far as the PSP goes (and probably many other Sony products), Sony's quality control sucks MAJOR ass and most units do have at least one small problem or another, wether it be dust, dead pixels, sticking buttons, scratches or nicks on the screen, bubbles in the screen, UMD doors that dont close properly, etc.

DaveC - I TOLD you you were gonna be assed out trying to sit and exchange units at Best Buy or anywhere else, even though you insisted you wouldn't settle for less than a PSP without one single dead pixel... I'm surprised they even let you try two others like they did... I kept saying there is no way they're just gonna let you sit there trying systems until you find a 'perfect' one... especially since... so few of them seem to be perfect :p You could have tried them all day and never found one to satisfaction.... now hearing all this from you guys and having asked around a bit more with my friends at gamestop, it seems the dead pixels are still a problem after all... it was funny most of us lined up outside didn't get any, but the three gamestop employees who worked the midnite 'event' and got theirs all had dead pixels, each of them had 4-5 dead pixels EACH! THAT sucks... 5 is a lot.

By the way... I mentioned mine, though dust and dead pixel free, had some small scratches on the face of the unit? Turns out, one of those scratches, a small hairine about 1 cm long right in the middle of the screen, is actually directly on the LCD, not on the face cover. Ouch....

looking at my screen now...
can't see any scratches, or dead pixels now, however i noticed some little nicks by the x button. this isn't a big issue at all, and is very unnoticeable unless you're looking for cuts/scratches.

anyway, watched some more vids last night, and i guess the ghosting isn't THAT bad.

btw guys, i thought new advancements in lcd manufacturing technology took care of the old dead pixel issue. and all the latest panels(since last two/three years?) have no/not much ghosting. my lcd monitor made from the old hydis panel even has zero ghosting in everything i've thrown at it. but i don't know...in any case, later psp revisions better sport a faster lcd :D

ps. can't get over how sexy the psp is :p

Well it had seemed that all the recent japanese PSP's had been pretty much free of dead pixels but now with the US ones there seem to be a lot again, and just going from the handful of people I've talked to, it seems that the people who have been getting dead pixels get a lot... I haven't talked to anyone so far that only had like one... it's either none of 5... well... at least Sony ARE willing to take care of it.

I wonder if it isnt something like the xbox thompson drive issue where certain units where more prone to problems because of a part manufactured in a specific plant. That would make finding the culprit a lot easier, assumong there a culprit to be found at all.

Well Samsung is making the LCD screens and in Australia they offer a zero dead pixel warranty, so if you find one on their LCD monitors they'll replace them. I'm suprised that the quality of the Samsung PSP screens are so bad....

By the way... another very short preview... Ape Escape... another GREAT game here... really it is very good I know a lot of people already played the PSX version... this version is great, one of the brightest, most colorful and easy to see PSP games. The controls are just fine so far, with little tweaks to make up for the missing analog stick... but I wouldn't say the game is any harder to play at all... I think it's a real shame no one seems to even be paying this game any mind. It got GREAT reviews back when it first debuted on PSX, and I can see why from playing this version... chasing monkeys roxxors :p

very random! haha.
anyway, i loved ape escape back in '98(?). great game, good memories. i would pick it up, but i think i played it recently via pc emulators, so it wouldn't be worth it for me to get it now.

one thing i forgot! what type mini b usb cable does the psp connect to? i need one asap ...along with a higehr capac mem stick ;)

Back