Used Ds's Flooding Local Game Stores...

kotd posted on Apr 13 2005 at 05:56 AM said:
Yeah if you have a brain the size of a peanut you would think that statistics aren't fabricated in any way would you? "lies, damned lies and statistics"? I can see whats happening with the DS in Australia and it reminds me of the game gear and lynx. Anyway this is the final post.

You guys really make me laugh. Serouisly. No-one here can have a decent discussion without a fanboy coming and and wanking over his PSP.

It's frickin' sad. These statistics are fact, and you're a moron if you can't see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rico - No I'm not impartial. I don't claim to be. I like the PSP better. So sue me. I've never tried to deny this. I think it's a better system. It's more powerful and IMO it has better games and better selection so far at least. I was impartial when I first got my hands on each system, I approached them both openly and quickly decided what I liked and didn't like, and in the end the PSP has proven to be more fun and enjoyable to own for me and I play it way more than my DS, at least right now I do.

But I DO love my DS. I'll say again, why would I keep it if I didn't? If anything, seeing all those used ones for sale is a bad thing for me, because I really WANT to see the DS do well, because when a system does well you get more games for it and better games. I WANT the DS to sell millions and have tons of great games to choose from. If I didn't care about all that, I wouldn't keep my DS's. Believe it or not, I didn't type this thread out with a big evil grin on my face thinking "heh hehhhh THIS will really piss off those DS fanboys!!". I wasn't at all happy to see so many trade ins like that... that will mean less new DS's sold, less revenue for Nintendo, and in the long run less interest from developers to make games for it. When I finally did get mad, my maliciousness wasn't aimed at the DS, it was aimed at people who come being complete dickheads any time someone says anything they consider to be negative about the DS.

About Mark's first reply, factual or not it's not a fair comparison, considering the PSP has not launched in the UK yet, and even if it was the best console launch in the UK, that's not at all a good indicator of how well the DS is doing WORLD F'ING WIDE, so it really isn't saying much at all. Case in point, the Sega Saturn and PC Engine... both were smash hits in Japan but commercial flops everywhere else. I'm glad the DS did well in the UK, I'm glad if it does well anywhere, that means more hope for DS owners everywhere. Mark's comment didn't bother me, about the first part I just wanted to see proof that what he 'believed' was actually true, as I hadn't heard that from anyone else. That was just out of interest, not malice. The second part of his comment though did bother me because I didn't agree with his logic about why so many had been traded in. So I presented my argument in response to his argument. I only got angry when Mattmagoo came in basically just talking shit.

And Mark - there are just as many DS fanboys ruining threads by coming in and wanking over their DS's, if not more, and you know it. There's a reason Nintendo fanboys have the reputation that they do. I'm not saying you were doing any DS wanking :D like I said your first reply didn't bother me, I just wanted to see that info for myself, but I didn't agree with why you think there are so many DS's traded in already. If you think I'M a fanboy wanking over my PSP well then I dont know what to tell you. I didn't start this thread to say how much the DS sucks, I started it to say to other DS owners "look here is something that's going on with this system of ours". OURS. As in yours, mine, and anyone else who owns and likes the DS. You can take that info and do what you want with it.

Right, here I come, wading in to sort all this out, back BACk!!!!

Now listen, here's how it is!!!

According to the 'figures' the ds was the most 'successful' LAUNCH in history, cos all over the world it was released at about the same time (look on gamespot for the news story, I think). But that just means that more people bought soemthing that was available and cheap at that time! It doesn't mean it was the most loved or anything!!!!

Now the psp has drip launched, is drip launching. After it has been released across the world for a length of time, then we can see how it's doing!

There will of course be ds selling second hand. People will want to trade them in to get the new thing. The software at the moment is poor. When the new Blockbuster from Ninty comes out, just see how quickly people buy them back again. Why? Cos ninty is practically giving them away (£80? I'll have two!).

And if the new Xbox portable comes out in 5 months, then how many PSPs would we see in Gamestop? At least 8, I reckon!

I love my psp, I'm ready to love my DS

Now calm down!!!! Have a cuppa.

:D

No HERE"s how it is. People need to stop taking this stuff so personally.

1. if the system you own and like does well, there's no point trying to 'brag' about it... it has nothing to do with you and doesn't make you more 'cool' or a better person. Conversely if the system you like doesn't do well getting upset about it isn't going to change anything.

2. if someone talks shit about the system you own and like, so what? Everyones entitled to their own oppinions. Talking shit about something you own and like doesn't equate to talking shit about YOU. There's no point in getting all defensive about it.

3. If the system you DONT like does well, so what? It doesn't make your system any worse, so keep enjoying the one you DO like. Enjoy what you have, don't worry about the rest. It's a waste of time for you to try to bring down the system that is doing well, you're talking smack about it won't lessen it's sales.

4. Choosing one system to own and enjoy doesn't mean that every other system sucks. Even if YOU think so, please dont' try to convince everyone else. Stop trying to justify your purchase by trying to make people who bought other systems feel stupid!

Enjoy what you have, and don't worry about everyone else.

And yes, I need to work on following some of this advice myself. Not as bad as some of you though.

Well thanks for that reply, it was refreshingly intelligent (compared to some of the other posts in this thread) and I'm glad to see you're going to stop taking things personally too. I'm sure just as you weren't trolling, a lot of the posters here weren't trying to feverishly defend their DS, merely raise points.

bast525 posted on Apr 13 2005 at 09:11 AM said:
1. if the system you own and like does well, there's no point trying to 'brag' about it... it has nothing to do with you and doesn't make you more 'cool' or a better person. Conversely if the system you like doesn't do well getting upset about it isn't going to change anything.

2. if someone talks shit about the system you own and like, so what? Everyones entitled to their own oppinions. Talking shit about something you own and like doesn't equate to talking shit about YOU. There's no point in getting all defensive about it.
If people vote Tory and have conservative beliefs, they don't like Labour winning or people attacking conservative political thinking. When you make a purchase for either the DS or PSP, you've decided one of them to be better through well thought out reasoning on your part. The problem is some people can't fathom that the consoles cater to different (but at times overlapping) audiences. When people attack your choice of console they are attacking your opinions as well. If people buy the other console your 'opinion' is becoming less popular and you may feel more inadequate as a result.

Personally I think my situation is in the minority so I don't care about sales figures. 90% of the people who buy these handhelds have entirely different needs than me! The only thing I'm worried about is the DS' games supply drying up due to lack of sales. I looked at the release lists for both consoles and there's a lot of promising stuff that is going to even the odds for Nintendo, providing it actually makes it to market :)

Thank you Rico for understand what I read. I can't see what I've said that could really offend.

Sorry to anyone I caused offence, but really, I do think that when you say stuff like this Kotd:

Goddamn this thread turned shit quickly. Yeah I'm looking at you Mark and Mattmagoo

You're really not talking much sense.

No HERE"s how it is. People need to stop taking this stuff so personally.

3. If the system you DONT like does well, so what? It doesn't make your system any worse, so keep enjoying the one you DO like. Enjoy what you have, don't worry about the rest. It's a waste of time for you to try to bring down the system that is doing well, you're talking smack about it won't lessen it's sales.

4. Choosing one system to own and enjoy doesn't mean that every other system sucks. Even if YOU think so, please dont' try to convince everyone else. Stop trying to justify your purchase by trying to make people who bought other systems feel stupid!

Enjoy what you have, and don't worry about everyone else.

And yes, I need to work on following some of this advice myself. Not as bad as some of you though.

Rico posted on Apr 13 2005 at 09:48 AM said:
Well thanks for that reply, it was refreshingly intelligent (compared to some of the other posts in this thread) and I'm glad to see you're going to stop taking things personally too. I'm sure just as you weren't trolling, a lot of the posters here weren't trying to feverishly defend their DS, merely raise points.

If people vote Tory and have conservative beliefs, they don't like Labour winning or people attacking conservative political thinking. When you make a purchase for either the DS or PSP, you've decided one of them to be better through well thought out reasoning on your part. The problem is some people can't fathom that the consoles cater to different (but at times overlapping) audiences. When people attack your choice of console they are attacking your opinions as well. If people buy the other console your 'opinion' is becoming less popular and you may feel more inadequate as a result.

Personally I think my situation is in the minority so I don't care about sales figures. 90% of the people who buy these handhelds have entirely different needs than me! The only thing I'm worried about is the DS' games supply drying up due to lack of sales. I looked at the release lists for both consoles and there's a lot of promising stuff that is going to even the odds for Nintendo, providing it actually makes it to market :)

Yes!!! Let's enjoy them both. A true gamer isn't a fanboy, whatever has good games we will play (Wow-deep!). The good thing about the DS is it's so cheap!

Let's hope they both get great ORIGINAL games.....

:D

The used DS's at Gamestop were going for $129.99.

Apparently Viewtiful Joe will be coming for PSP as well??? most of that link is in Japanese but it says something about NDS, PSP and GC.

Also the one for DS is going to be called Scratch! Viewtiful Joe ??? Hope they don't do anything funky using the touch screen :( The original VF was a great game, would love to see it on a handheld. I wonder if it having a different title means they will be different games? I will definately pick it up for both systems if they are unique.

How can you tell which version those screenshots are from? They are very fuzzy...

Ganepark32 posted on Apr 13 2005 at 02:41 PM said:
yes i agree. original games all the way. anyway who's seen the screenshot of Viewtiful Joe DS? if u haven't then here.
http://www.gamesarefun.com/games/ds/viewtifuljoe/scan01.jpg
looks good especially with the DS' hardware.

To be honest, I'm looking forward to the PSP version more, just because the screen is perfect for it.

Still, since both are different games, I'll buy both.

bast525 posted on Apr 13 2005 at 08:31 AM said:
I'm not saying you were doing any DS wanking :D l

I'd like to see that whilst using the stylus. :p

Oh no wait, I wouldn't.

Just thought I'd lower the levels again.

I'd say the screenshot was from the DS version cause it looks as if it was taken when it was played on a small screen. I agree with Mark the PSP version will be great because of the screen. The version coming out on the PSP and GC are the same as the one coming out on the PS2 which is a Smash bros. type of game where u play as the characters in Smash Bros. form. Well thats what ive heard and seen.

oh BOO stuff that that f'ing sux... Viewtiful Joe as a Smash Brothers game??? Boo....

I'd rather see a platforming game proper... *shaking fist* damn you capcommmmm!

http://psp.ign.com/articles/602/602443p1.html
there. that'll show u wat the gamesall bout. but i think they should have just done the normal thing and maybe ported the first or second Viewtiful Joe (preferably the second)
It may still be good although it wont be as fun as the real game cause hows slow down and speed up? its not gonna work in multiplayer unless if one person hits slow down bout players go into slow down
edit: yeah those pics are of VJ DS as the DS version is the game that will have Jasmine in it not the PSP or GC versions

well if they screw up the PSP one by making it a fighting game, and screw up the DS one by making some stupid use for the touch screen (Scratch!), I'm gonna be pissed.

Back