"Smach Z is Back!" ...?

The Smach Z will use the AMD V1605B at 15W.

Here is the reveal including pictures of the populated Smach Z PCB

https://liliputing.com/2018/02/smach-z-handheld-gaming-pc-specs-finalized-ryzen-v1605b-8gb-ram.html

SMACH-PCB.jpg

SMACH-CORE-768x386.jpg

A lot of people like to cry "scam" when they mean "vaporware". They've bitten off quite a bit of work and it could completely fall through in the end.

I've not seen so many electrolytic tinned caps on anything other than a handheld from the 1980s. And I'm a bit doubtful those buttons will be very usable - the pattern seems to require the centre to be connected to the outside to activate. What's wrong with the system everyone else (including the Pandora and presumably Pyra) where you have two interleaved combs and you simply need to bridge those anywhere to activate the button.

@CommanderB

It's obviously not a scam , Too much work shown for it to be so. Plus AMD shouted them out as a partner in the last AMD press release
Probably I got the wrong impression due to the ROMB.IO prototype story. I am wondering whether underclocking and active cooling will be enough for the Ryzen monster under the hood!

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

Probably I got the wrong impression due to the ROMB.IO prototype story. I am wondering whether underclocking and active cooling will be enough for the Ryzen monster under the hood!

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

Yes, it did look dodgy for quite some time

Just because the development of an Handheld takes that long, it does not automaticly mean "scam". Otherwise the Pyra would be the mother of all scams. ;)
Never heared of "V1605B" before, 15W TDP is alot for an Handheld. And they use SO-DIMMs in there? Wow, and I thought I've seen everything after the GPD WIN 2 uses an M.2 SSD. :D

The AMD V1605B is a new chip, I think Smach will be the first to use it. Thats why AMD named them in their press release

I'm not interested by this form factor (powerful and big, not so portable) but it's interesting to see how that SoC will behave.

It's not a scam as a scam would have just taken the money and ran. It looked like it could have been one but they are trying so not a scam.
However not being a scam doesn't mean it will ever actually be finished and get to backers.

Personally not that much interested in the Smach Z, but ultra mobile Ryzen got my interest. 15W is quite something, but perhaps an even more scaled down version of that might be not unusual as a Pyra SoC? One can dream.

Getting even more off-topic, but does anyone know the supposed TDP for the OMAP5? Failed to find actual numbers last time I went looking for it.

I hope it does come out. I don't personally want one, but I think there should be more things like this in the world.

They published a new website stating that preordering is starting in 2 weeks

https://www.smachz.com/

Interesting news. I backed this one (as I did with pyra and the GPD Win 1 and 2 - sold the GPD1 in the meantime) and doubted it for quite a while. But now I am looking forward to seeing this handheld as well.

@pmprog

To be honest , after watching that video, I feel more confident in the Smach Z than I did before. One of the biggest concerns was whether they had enough cash remaining after they lost that huge chunk to Imasd/Rhombio. I wondered about the investment from Mola and whether it was true. And SD&R's video pretty much proved it is true seeing since that Mola guy is their president. It's also not uncommon for an investment group to ask for a high up position in the company if they are investing significant cash.

Also, SD&R forgot to mention that they got a grant from the spanish government.

But it is going slowly, Having to restart things after the Rmobio bust up put them back a lot. But the new HW development company they are using seems better

Back