"Smach Z is Back!" ...?

What I got now runs in windows, it's not live, just an app. It works just like installing kodi in windows except I linked the dependencies to thumb drive so it doesn't need installed and can be ran on multiple computers. I think it needs visual c redistributable but most computers I run have that already.

What I got now runs in windows, it's not live, just an app. It works just like installing kodi in windows except I linked the dependencies to thumb drive so it doesn't need installed and can be ran on multiple computers. I think it needs visual c redistributable but most computers I run have that already.

@SNESFAN
What do you think about this device, pros and contrast.

The smach Z? Hope I didn't give the impression that I have one, because I do not.

Honestly looks like a piece of magical fluff.

Similar to GPD win without a keyboard in my opinion worse form factor.

My primary use of things like this, the win, the pandora etc is light mobile desktop like use cases and the occasional 16/32 bit era emulation session.

If all you are doing is controller based x86 games it's probably fine. I don't buy the high end game aspect if you don't want your hands to melt and expect to play more than a hour or so.

I can't see me getting one, I wouldn't recommend anyone get one either given there are things that do the same very similar more practically.

Last edited:
i was hoping for the tech point of view i konw your taste already from post before in others forums mostly in retro games and develop, thats why you need a clamshell one for the keyboard , because everybody like to make assumption in this kind of device portable PC.
i will like to give some credits to peoples, groups and companies, that are willing to make this type of idea possible like, Pyra-Pandora, GPD, LinkVision,Sony with PSP Vita,JXD and the Smach team.
I did not know nothing about the Pandora device,but to me is like the most solid one beside to be old, and i think everything starter with this and Sony PSP Vita for the mass for a small screen, correct if i am wrong. GPD and Smachteam are the firts one to use Intel and AMD technology.
i like this type of device without keyboard, because it is just for casual or occasional game or gamers like me for two hour play at the most.

Well from a tech point of view, it looks pretty decent. If this was in a laptop with proper active cooling this wouldn't be half bad. Processor is more powerful than the one in the win, the AMD processor is significantly faster, with more memory bandwidth, than the 8700, supports ddr4, the integrated video is better than the intel offering on the win.

So yea, it's significantly more powerful. But if you will allow me pour a bit of salt on this. I want to reiterate, without a serious active cooling solution, this is going to cook your hands off. It's on the 28nm process over the 14nm in the intel. It's listed as 12-15w on their kickstarter page. That's literally crazy for a handheld. For comparison the pandoras Omap 3530 and the x7 8700 are both listed as 2 watt sdp (I thought I remember seeing 8w on the 8700 somewhere though)

It's going to suck down whatever battery they have unless it's a brick, and it's going to dump heat everywhere. They seem to be ignoring thermal dynamics. Hence the magical fluff. I don't think you could downclock enough to compensate either which would defeat the purpose of having that much power to begin with. Color me incredibly skeptical.

Back to pros, ignoring the heat and battery. It should play some pretty good games at some decent frame rates. I'm not capable of making predictions but I think games that struggle on the win would be playable on the smach z. The processing power and memory speed differences are significant.

Thanks
That's what I thought, peoples still questioning about the passive cooling system and they are saying that is possible, even the backers are suggesting to make some vents in the case for flow air and sub powered fan, the good thing is the passive cooling system doesn't work they will reconsidering to install the active cooling fan system.
About the APU the said the clockdown the TDP to 12w
The time will said

last 3 days and its getting a boost, 1041 backers almost $424.000 is like peoples are believing

Looks pretty standard for a kickstarter project; maybe a third of the final funders initially just click 'remind me later' and once that reminder comes in and they see the project has met its goal and not flopped, they pledge their money. They often don't even follow the news that closely, so if it's looking like potential vapourware like this one is, might still pledge.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/smachteam/smach-z-the-handheld-gaming-pc/#chart-daily

The market is constantly changing. The rhomb system allows modify the ardware even after manufacturing.

apparently they're writing in Cockney prose for extra professionalism.

[edit] does anyone else find it suspicious that their "clickarm" or "rhomb" technology is found on a website "whatzznew.com"? normally your brand becomes the website type of thing...

Last edited:
Are there other devices using Rhomb already?
Yes, there are many tablets, GPS and portable devices that use Rhomb. But even if their modules are compatible with SMACH Z we recommend to use only Rhomb modules made specifically for SMACH Z.
Uh that kinda feels exaggerated a tad unless all these modular devices have somehow managed to completely slip under my radar.

Whats with all the 34 different backer levels on the Smach Z Indiegogo campaign. How on earth are they going to manage 34 different options - 24 of which have backers. A number of the backer levels only have a few backers. I think they will have enough on their plate trying to deliver to backers let alone 34 different package options inclduign a number of HW options.

I wonder about the top option, I think it has 16GB RAM, 256GB storage , 4G on top of everything else. 16GB RAM in a handheld, Mama mia

Last edited:
Whats with all the different backer levels on the Smach Z Indiegogo campaign. How on earth are they going to manage 34 different options - 24 of which have backers. A number of the backer levels only have a few backers. I think they will have enough on their plate trying to deliver to backers let alone 34 different package options inclduign a number of HW options.

I wonder about the top option, I think it has 16GB RAM, 256GB storage , 4G on top of everything else. 16GB RAM in a handheld, Mama mia
to their benefit, they are pushing for a extremely modular chipset as opposed to most everything else out there that probably has a handful of major sub models depending on spec options. More configurations than most desktops even.

it does sound like a logistical nightmare though, if they are wanting to have them assembled by hand, I can see some people not getting the specific configuration they ordered. Either way, I think once the project is done, a lot of time will be spent getting orders ready.

the quest for the final device its already started, l will hope from them to keep what their promising.

Looks like they ended up with 1,293 backers and €474,530 ~ $502,456 USD

Back