Slackware for Pandora 14.1

tried Slackbuilds.org and sbopkg but no mencoder. Maybe you can give a hint or link. Thanks.

Thanks to Ingo and his link I got the file and some libs and now I can record from my webcam.

Many thanks !

Played around with this last night. Pretty fantastic. PND support is really helpful. Love having slackware on the go.

Only problem is sound, I am unable to get it working in any capacity. I get "Unable to Open Audio" Maybe my problem was that I didn't set my user to be a part of any group during the initial configuration? Not sure. I'll try reinstalling. Anyways thanks for getting this going.

Audacious gives an error 

ALSA error: No suitable mixer element found

ALSA error: snd_mixer_attach failed: No such file or directory.

Indeed Audacious fails, that's why I removed it from the rootfs.

I ship XMMS as default and it's recompiled and optimized for the Pandora.

It's a non-problem. Sound works for .pnds, video, emulators etc. I myself never encountered something blocking.

And why in the world would you like to use a program that plays music while quickly sucking the battery ?

And why in the world would you like to use a program that plays music while quickly sucking the battery ?
What program are you talking about ?

It's a non-problem.
not sure why you think it's a non problem. Some people may prefer to use Audacious versus XMMS - after all Linux is all about choice, so why don't you consider it to be an issue if things don't work as expected? Usually SBOpkg works fine for most things I build, but audio software just does not work well, and there must be a reason for that.

The less power-greedy are xmms and deadbeef. I did some benches years ago. Other music programs have a high CPU usage therefore battery drain.

While I could spend hours to optimize every single one, I found out that xmms was the best choice.

It :

1- plays music fine

2- can read/save standard playlists

3- and probably a ton of other things but I don't care because of 1- and 2-.

So not being able to run A or B music player is a non-problem.

Thanks for your help with this. I don't have my Pandora on me today but when I tried yesterday Xmms would also not play.

"Unable to open audio source" or something to that effect. Not a deal breaker but it would be nice to play music through the stock programs.

I'll try a pnd music player tonight.

Reinstalled.

Sound works fine on CC and 1GHz.

Are you using a Rebirth model ?

SL4P is fantastical-- almost perfect PND support, while also being a "full" GNU/Linux OS.

It fits the abstract feeling of "true desktop" where SZ doesn't.

Note to anyone that wants to use Enlightenment on SL4P: The screen may go black upon restarting or logging in after using E17 the first time. The only way to avoid this is to go to "Display" settings in E17, and uncheck the "Save monitor settings" option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back