Share your projects

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
I designed a mod for the gameboy pocket! I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out honestly.
It's a USB C and replacement regulator for the pocket. The thing I think is the neatest part of it is that it just solders in place using the existing solder pads on the gameboy.

I've got a more detailed write up on it here
View attachment 36785

That is pretty cool! Actually, could this be changed easily to work with the GameBoy Color?
McWill's LCD Mod includes a charging mod as well - however, it does not replace the full power circuit of the GBC, which is pretty flakey.
My own unit doesn't start anymore when I add the Charging mod and the new LCD.... it works if I only use the new LCD or only the charging mod with the old LCD, but both doesn't work.
And some customers had the same issue... so that circuit would need to be replaced.

I'd love to mass produce and offer such a USB Lithium-Battery mod which replaces the original power circuit, if possible. So if you'd be up for it, we could work together here .)

T.T.

Master of Lightning
That is pretty cool! Actually, could this be changed easily to work with the GameBoy Color?
McWill's LCD Mod includes a charging mod as well - however, it does not replace the full power circuit of the GBC, which is pretty flakey.
My own unit doesn't start anymore when I add the Charging mod and the new LCD.... it works if I only use the new LCD or only the charging mod with the old LCD, but both doesn't work.
And some customers had the same issue... so that circuit would need to be replaced.

I'd love to mass produce and offer such a USB Lithium-Battery mod which replaces the original power circuit, if possible. So if you'd be up for it, we could work together here .)
A GameBoy Color version is actually in the plans! I've ordered the first batch of 50 for the gameboy pocket, so while I wait for those to arrive, I'll probably start development of the Pocket Power Color. Originally, I was considering not bothering with replacing the power circuit, since the Colors I have have been pretty rock solid, but, if that's actually an issue, modifying the Pocket version wouldn't be too terrible. The GBC just needs 3V, 5V, 13.6V, and -15V instead of the Pocket's 3V, 5V, and -18V rails.

I'm definitely interested in working with you! I have no good way of getting these to europe, and I'd love for people to have it there as well. When I get the design finalized, or close to finalized, we ought to discuss an arrangement of some sort.

FBnil

Pyraturi te salutant
I have written me a C64 sprite multiplexer
Whoa, I've checked a few of my fav karate games, but those look like original, selfmade sprites. Nice.
Australia looks a bit off to me.
Scanline-multiplexer?

Reactions: rSl

pmprog

DNF (Did Not Finish)
Whoa, I've checked a few of my fav karate games, but those look like original, selfmade sprites. Nice.
Yep, all home grown (except an 8bit sorting routine). I may look to replace the PETSCII character set if I finish the actual gameplay...

Australia looks a bit off to me.
If only Australia does, then that ain't half bad ;-) My world map was drawn in probably a whole 20 seconds

Scanline-multiplexer?
Not entirely sure what a scanline multiplexer is. My raster splits move with the player sprites, as opposed to having fixed splits and the sprites drawn to fit

Thanks, I might have read those before, and I also headed to Codebase64 a couple of times, and arguably, I should just use a multiplexer written by somebody who knows what they're doing. TBH, I should have really worked the multiplexer in from the start, because the title screen and the player select both have static multiplexers and then the game features it's own dynamic (scanline?) multiplexer. It's sure is wasteful...

I considered stopping and asking for help a few times on various bits, or even dropping and rewriting a large chunk to use a single multiplexer throughout, I thought I'd just try and get the job done before worrying about how optimised it is. If I've got the memory for 4 multiplexers, then reworking everything into a single one is rather a waste of time... and to me time is currently more precious than the amount of RAM I'm using. That may change when it reaches 60kb in size, but I'll deal with that if it ever gets there.

I am also considering making SJKT64 open source too... It probably won't really be useful to anyone, because I imagine most coders who are still working on the C64 are far more proficient than my half-baked cobblings, but hey...

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
A GameBoy Color version is actually in the plans! I've ordered the first batch of 50 for the gameboy pocket, so while I wait for those to arrive, I'll probably start development of the Pocket Power Color. Originally, I was considering not bothering with replacing the power circuit, since the Colors I have have been pretty rock solid, but, if that's actually an issue, modifying the Pocket version wouldn't be too terrible. The GBC just needs 3V, 5V, 13.6V, and -15V instead of the Pocket's 3V, 5V, and -18V rails.

I'm definitely interested in working with you! I have no good way of getting these to europe, and I'd love for people to have it there as well. When I get the design finalized, or close to finalized, we ought to discuss an arrangement of some sort.
That's perfect, please do contact me when it's done :)
I can either simply resell it or handle the production as well (paying license fees) :)

Reactions: rSl