Second Review Case Will Be Shipped Dec 23Rd

The day after Christmas is a national holiday in Canada and the UK (possibly Australia too?). On a few of my trips to the great white north, I've asked the locals what the holiday was all about, but nobody was really sure. I heard a couple different stories, the most believable of which was that Boxing Day is a servant's holiday. Traditionally, the "help" was expected to work on Christmas, but was given off the day after to spend with their families. The gentry was gracious enough to "box up" their leftovers from Christmas dinner for their servants to take home with them.

It's that, or as one cab driver informed me, "It's so you can cut up all the boxes from yer Christmas loot and bundle it up for recycling, eh?"

Chip said:
The day after Christmas is a national holiday in Canada and the UK (possibly Australia too?). On a few of my trips to the great white north, I've asked the locals what the holiday was all about, but nobody was really sure. I heard a couple different stories, the most believable of which was that Boxing Day is a servant's holiday. Traditionally, the "help" was expected to work on Christmas, but was given off the day after to spend with their families. The gentry was gracious enough to "box up" their leftovers from Christmas dinner for their servants to take home with them.

It's that, or as one cab driver informed me, "It's so you can cut up all the boxes from yer Christmas loot and bundle it up for recycling, eh?"

Wikipedia seems divided on the issue, but I was always told it was about giving money to the poor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering the holidays and the fact that the package is sent from one country to another, I don't expect a delivery today. At least here in Sweden no post is delivered on the 1st since it's a "red day" in the calendar and no packages are delivered on a weekend. So let's hope that MW receives the package on Thursday at the latest. That way he can check it over the weekend and the factory could have the green light on Monday.

Chip said:

The servant one seems to make sense, but the holiday predates recycling, so cabbie must be wrong. I always thought it was called boxing day because it's the day you box up all your decorations. That doesn't explain why it is a holiday though.

I don't know why it's a holiday, but I've always been of the belief it was called boxing day because it's the day stores box up their Christmas stuff. That's why there are so many sales this week: easier to sell things at discount than to box it up for storage until next year.

In Sweden we don't have Boxing Day. We celebrate Christmas on the 24th, Christmas Eve. Then we have Christmas Day and 2nd day of Christmas (25th and 26th) which are marked red in our calendar, these are the days of after Christmas. Actually we use the word Jul instead of Christmas. Jul is an ancient Swedish word that means feast.

Awakening said:
In Sweden we don't have Boxing Day. We celebrate Christmas on the 24th, Christmas Eve. Then we have Christmas Day and 2nd day of Christmas (25th and 26th) which are marked red in our calendar, these are the days of after Christmas. Actually we use the word Jul instead of Christmas. Jul is an ancient Swedish word that means feast.

FEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOfibMWr8uY

Actually, the word 'Jul' is so old nobody's certain what it really means (although it's presumably the same word as used in 'Yuletide' in English). It could well be 'feast', but who knows. The important point is that it doesn't mean 'Christmas', so it simply indicates a celebration at the time around winter solstice, with friends and food, enjoyment and recharging of (biological) batteries. The Church tries to hijack the thing, but in Scandinavia the name of the season doesn't involve any deity it's futile. Good! :)

When it's done. (sorry. Had to give the Blizzard/Valve Quote)

I'd say it has to be today(Tuesday) or tomorrow. Thursday is a stretching it as new years day is on Friday.

If nothing by then, next week is my guess. Be nice to have a new years gift before hand though :lol:

my guess is there was still problems with the cases so rather than tell us they just silently left it out and told the chinese factory to fix it again and now there is another batch of samples on the way, when those arrive they will say these are the ones we have been waiting for ;p

Lets suppose that cases is fine.
When first boards will be shipping?
How many boards per day will be shipping?

Paradox said:
my guess is there was still problems with the cases so rather than tell us they just silently left it out and told the chinese factory to fix it again and now there is another batch of samples on the way, when those arrive they will say these are the ones we have been waiting for ;p
Last time when they took long shipping they didn't ship at all.

Well, we've all seen pics of the new "test" parts fresh from the factory. So I would say they shipped out within 24hrs of those pics being taken. There is no reason for the factory to hold them for an extended period, unless they are waiting to finish something else. All the pictures showed all the parts that had problems the first time, so I would guess all items are done and finished! So if everything shipped last week, they should be arriving any day now. I'm hoping the factory is just as tired as we are, and they are ready to go balls out to get this done ASAP! I'm sure they have more important things to do at this point! Hopefully the green light will come this week, and cases will begin to arrive right after the new year. I haven't heard anything on the boards lately, but they should have at least 1000+ ready to go at this point. So Craig should have a flight booked to texas soon, so he can oversee assembly and shipping! ;) Hang on, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself!

Jumpman

AFAIK MWeston didn't sayed anything new these day(s) so I think he's still waiting for the "updated" Case-Parts.
This endless shipping really costs time and nerves. If there's again a Prob with the parts, I wonder if the dev-Team slightly starts to think about if exactly this cinese case Factory was actualy the right choice. Especialy when you see how "next door" one Cina-Handheld PMP after another is born every week. ;)

Back