What Does This Mean?

ok noob question...
is there any chance of getting firfox and abi word working in pmenu? or do they require the desktop environment?
If so i would almost never use the angstrom OS.

/copydir said:
ok noob question...
is there any chance of getting firfox and abi word working in pmenu? or do they require the desktop environment?

Well, as pmenu runs within X, it can probably start both. You'd probably be bound to singletasking, though.
Also, pmenu runs within angstrom. You probably mean Xfce that you'd never use. Give it a chance, it's my favourite Desktop Environment and totally awesome ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
conso said:
/copydir said:
ok noob question...

Well, as pmenu runs within X, it can probably start both. You'd probably be bound to singletasking, though.
Also, pmenu runs within angstrom. You probably mean Xfce that you'd never use. Give it a chance, it's my favourite Desktop Environment and totally awesome ;)

Now i am confused... I thought Pmenu was a light weight "launcher" for pnd's and Mplayer etc. separate from the OS.

Gruso said:
Nope, Angstrom is always running. You might find this helpful: http://pandorapress....is-and-will-be/ :)

ahhh thanks Gruso!
So if i read this right Angstrom is the "Kernel" not the GUI/desktop manager that was my confusion.
So my question is...
Is it possible to create a firefox PND to run in Pmenu? Or do i have to switch to the full Desktop manager (xfce)? and how long do you think the switch would take?(between pmenu and desktop)

No, Ångström is the distribution. Think of it as Windows Vista Home/Pro/Premium/Ultimate/Business, different distributions come with different "stuff" but Linux has a lot more variance within its content depending on which distribution you choose. They're usually put together according to different uses and tastes and may represent a certain philosophy. Ångström is such a distribution designed for small embedded systems (look up Sharp Zaurus).

/copydir said:
Is it possible to create a firefox PND to run in Pmenu?

Yes it's possible and I would hope somebody will do it. If not then I might need to get it bewteen my teeth and have a go at it myself, as this is exactly the sort of functionality I expect from this device. I vary rarely see myself wanting to multitask with Pandora.

fiori_musicali said:
No, Ångström is the distribution.

Yea just think of it as a layered approach. The Kernal holds the most basic device-level functionality of the OS. Ångström holds everything else. Including the Window manager. It's a bit like when you used to run Windows 3 on top of MS-Dos.

It's not a totally accurate representation, but in a simplified form you can think of it like this:

Kernal(Linux)--->(OS)Ångström-->(PMenu/XFCE/NetbookLauncher)Window Manager.

So changing the Window manager doesn't actually have any affect on the way the underlying OS functions.

DaveC said:
hobbyman II said:
why does everyone make a dumbed down interface for small devices when .........
Because Windowing interfaces are cumbersome and awkward if you are just trying to quickly launch a game....

Ah I saw HobbyMans post last night ans was going to reply to it but got side tracked. Anyay looks like DaveC filled in for me by saying everything I had to say. Well done ! :D

Pleng said:
Yea just think of it as a layered approach. The Kernal holds the most basic device-level functionality of the OS. Ångström holds everything else. Including the Window manager. It's a bit like when you used to run Windows 3 on top of MS-Dos.

It's not a totally accurate representation, but in a simplified form you can think of it like this:

Kernal(Linux)--->(OS)Ångström-->(PMenu/XFCE/NetbookLauncher)Window Manager.

So it is (Drivers)---->(Librarys/ basic command structure) --> (all the software that runs on the device)? is that how it breaks down?

/copydir said:
So it is (Drivers)---->(Librarys/ basic command structure) --> (all the software that runs on the device)? is that how it breaks down?

Yea that's a pretty good approximation

Back