Screen for P2

What size diagonal (in inches) should the P2 screen be?

• Less than 4"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4"

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • 5"

Votes: 59 67.8%
  • 6"

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • 7"

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • More than 7"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pandora.png

Not sure I like it :p
That's because you missed the point of putting a 4:3 screen in a device of this form factor ;)

pandora43bs.png

- Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, photo editing guys - try this.

Fill the whole lid with screen - something in the range of a 5" 16:9 ratio.  Dump the lid speakers.

Remove the light pipes - we'll stuff speakers with clear membranes in there and call them 'illuminated speaker grills'.

Hey - that gives me a thought...

What is the highest resolution that the digital side of our SOC can display?  Can the existing Pandora SOC drive a 720p display if one were connected up to it (Frankenhack anyone?)?

ok i took a look at the poll results - it looks like people are gravitating towards 16:9 ratio 5in size LCDs with a minimum of 720 pixels on the vertical.  a quick search on panelook shows this:

http://www.panelook.com/modelsearch.php?pagesize=50&order=panel_id&panel_type=&product_composition=&brand_family=&panel_size_inch=5.0&resolution_pixels=&brightness=-1&gray_depth=&viewing_angle_function=&lamp_type=&signal_type_category=&rohs_compliance=&button=Search

so there's one from LG - the LH500WX1-SH01; there's a couple from companies i've never heard of and holy f*** there's a 1920x1080 5in LCD from Sharp! LS050T1SX01 ah it's MIPI which is a bugger.

and the LG one doesn't have a backlight.  duh!  hmm, the BTL507212-W575L is what's used in the Lenovo K860, aw hell it's MIPI too.

TX13D100VM0EAA - a Hitachi 1024x768 screen: also MIPI.  what's going on!!

as you can see, finding screens that you *want* is harder than it first appears.  can i recommend that people use panelook.com to check that the screen characteristics they want are possible to conveniently obtain?

Here's what I would say were minimum requirements for a P2 screen:

• diagonal between 4.5" and 5.5"
  • At least 1000x600px resolution
  • Touch-sensitivity of some sort
  • 24-bit colour
  • Likely to continue to be in production for a few years

Seems find a suitable LCD panel with forum's desired specs is very hard ...don't know if there are other website to check.

Searching the net i found this from AUO http://auo.com/?sn=149&lang=en-US&c=36 but all are MIPI interfaced....anyway what is MIPI ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_Serial_Interface

What if the P2 dropped the touchscreen in favour of a touchpad on the back (like the PSV)?

It would significantly increase the number of options....

http://www.panelook.com/modelsearch.php?op=advancedsearch&order=panel_id&by=desc&pagesize=50&inch_low=4.5&inch_high=6.0&brightness_low=100&display_mode_color=NB&gray_depth_main=8&display_colors_amount=CO&color_saturation=-1&production_state=1

edit: can you buy transparent touchpanels separately and fit them over normal screens?

I like the xga 5" panel...
Why?

The limiting factor is vertical height, to we might as well get the widest screen available.

the one you mentioned is 3" high and 4" wide (huzzar for Pythagorean triples!)

In the same space we could put a 3" by 5.4" (=6.2") WXGA panel

What's not to like about an extra 200px horizontal space?

Why?

The limiting factor is vertical height, to we might as well get the widest screen available.

In the same space we could put a 3" by 5.4" WXGA panel

I dont mind the other displays, but have you seen the lg optimus vu, it has a 5" xga screen.

Why?

In the same space we could put a 3" by 5.4" WXGA panel

I dont mind the other displays, but have you seen the lg optimus vu, it has a 5" xga screen.
What about it?

Given the space available in a pandora-shaped-lid, we could have:

a 5.0 inch XGA screen

or a 6.2 inch WXGA screen

Both are 3 inches high, but the later has a 17% more pixels

(except that's all theoretical - there are no 6.2 inch WXGA screens that I know of)

I voted for 16:10, because its a ratio that sits between 4:3 and 16:9.

It would allow easier scaling for both 4:3 and 16:9 games, making every game look near perfect in aspect ratio.

A lot of people like 16:9, and in the beginning i was agreeing with that. But, since one of the main features of the pandora is emulation... isn't most emulation done in 4:3?

Back