5" screen (on a P2)

Binky

Death's Steed
Staff member
There is room in the current Pandora's size/shape for a 5 inch screen, a 720p HD screen would seem suitable (decent ppi, availability etc)

So a couple questions:

How likely are we to see such a screen in a P2 (anything official?)

Is this a good ratio? (would more vertical room be better?)

Are any other screen aspect ratios that could realistically be used to fill the lid space? (cost, availability)

If [no, yes] , could the same basic design be reproportioned to fit a better ratio screen?

The following post by Ed is relevant to this discussion:

Well, there are some pretty nice ideas here :)

Here is what I think about it:

The overall concept of the Pandora is great. I think we should keep that (keyboard, clamshell, etc.).

There are quite a few things that can be improved:

• Display: A bit bigger (moving the speakers somewhere else to keep the same size). Resolution / visibility in bright sunlight depends on what is available with that size and for a reasonable price.

So, there is certainly a desire to increase screen size and resolution, but what is reasonable to expect depends fully on availability and pricing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for spotting that ^_^

What do you think about aspect ratios?

A standard 720p resolution with 16:9 aspect ratio would be a rather obvious choice if it is available and fits the lid. I don't really mind black bars on my screen when emulating classics.

One of the biggest gains would be that many regular desktop applications will neatly fit the screen which eliminates the need for alt/shift dragging the windows around.

You do have a point there. For regular desktop usage, you would need to scale font size or pixels which reduces the usefulness of whatever resolution gain you might have.

[edit]

4:3 would be good like LG is doing with this 5¨ smartphone, i.e. 1024 x 768 IPS display. :)
That does look rather nice. For me the vertical resolution increase is actually more important than the horizontal one. I think we should be able to display at least 800x600.

[/edit]

Also, an issue worth considering. If you fill up the lid with a screen, a new way of detecting if the lid is closed will need to be designed.

Just wondering where we could put some speakers if we go with a bigger screen? Maybe opposite the L/R...
What about placing the speakers in the area of the lightpipes?

Also, an issue worth considering. If you fill up the lid with a screen, a new way of detecting if the lid is closed will need to be designed.
Maybe place a sensor along the top edge of the screen bezel and another where that sensor will touch down near the closed edge(C, V, B of keyboard).

due to the 9:16 proportions, along the sides of the screen bevel would provide more space

Perhaps put speakers where the light pipes are, then the lights on the opposite side of the screen bezel to the closed detector (but so then are visible when the lid is down)

RE vertical height, since at the sort of ppi that is likely, physical size is more important than resolution, how could the keyboard/game controls be rearranged to make a wider/taller Pandora?

would that be 'orible & unpocketable?

https://en.wikipedia..._Standards2.svg

---

I would suggest making any P2 a little taller to make the lid space aspect ratio 9:16 and so maximize screen area

There isn't a screen available that would fit and be as good as the current one, the only one I'm aware of, which is 256k colours only, is pretty expensive - and would still require a complete case redesign.

Waiting for Craig

Edit

Or ED to see what they think on this.

:D
Oh yeah, if I suggest touching the layout....

Making it very clear now

I do not want to suggest major redesign work

---

Anyway, a 720p 5" screen seems a likely candidate for future production, even if it isn't available now.

Its a pretty strong standard, and would fill the lid better.

Could we get a 5" 16:9 screen in the current case if only the speaker mountings were removed?

Am I right in thinking that the expense in case design is repeated tweaks until it fits/works?

There isn't a screen available that would fit and be as good as the current one, the only one I'm aware of, which is 256k colours only, is pretty expensive - and would still require a complete case redesign.
Damn, ask & ye shall receive. Thanks for the quick answer here.

Is there any possibility of pushing the resolution? I also would love to have a sunlight readable transflective lcd. Any chance of brining one of these dreams to reality?

Damn, ask & ye shall receive. Thanks for the quick answer here.
Lenovo showed a laptop at CES this year called the Yoga, that had a display which could bend all the way back flat against the underside of the notebook. There is a sensor somewhere in the lid that in turn shuts off all inputs on the front side(keyboard keys) while in or near this position. Perhaps the hinge of the Pandora 2 could be made thicker(maybe not quite flush with the bottom)to allow touchscreen only usage in slate mode while also making it stronger than the one on the P1. :mellow:

Back