5" screen (on a P2)

not that we need another poll, and OP is going to do what they want to do in the end. But once parts are getting ready to be sourced. Maybe a price vs resolution poll should be made and let people vote on which they think is worth the added cost? Just as a sanity check

My vote would go for 1280 x 800 on a 5" display as far as pure resolution preference without considering price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any 5" screens at 1024x600? Netbooks typically have 10" or so screens, so that's no good.

Google search is coming up with nothing whatsoever on small 1280x800 displays.. anyone find anything?

Mind you, 1280x720 ~5" isn't that much better, at least when trying to find the LCDs themselves, but they do show up in some devices.

This is a useful page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_displays_by_pixel_density

Samsung Galaxy Note is the only one on that page that is 1280x800 and small (unless you count 7" as small, I don't), it is 5.3"; but it uses PenTile so only the green pixels actually have that resolution - the red and blue ones are actually only 640x800. Of course the green pixels are the most important ones, so it makes sense to do this. However a potential problem is that a proprietary display driver is probably needed to use such a screen.

Another notable screen on that page is the 1280x768 screen of the BlackBerry 10. It is only 4.3 inch though, which is a bit small for a P2.

The page also mentions the Fujitsu Lifebook U820 as having a 1280x800 screen at 5.6 inch, which may or may not be too large.

It's actually kind of amazing how few display examples there are in the 5" to 5.5" range.

If we could get them, I'd want a 1920*1080 LCD.

It returns!

SUPER_ZOOM_LIGHT_MAGNIFIER_FOR_GAMEBOY_ORIGINAL_SYSTEM.jpg

(actually, i still got one of those...)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not so amazing imo: for a laptop/netbook/tablet that size is too small, and for a phone it is actually too big (but they make them anyway since somehow huge phones are hip atm). Maybe it could be a good size for a portable media player, but most people probably use either a tablet or a phone instead, I don't think dedicated portable media players are popular these days. For something like a camera display it is too large.

Actually the only device such a screen size really makes sense for is a handheld.

It's actually kind of amazing how few display examples there are in the 5" to 5.5" range.
The PS VIta has a 5.5" and supposedly the Note2 will as well.

OAN; The current pandora has 6 1/8" diagonal in the top panel. Enough room for a 5 in+ screen without enhancing the overall size of the unit. I hope they consider that and don't make that thing any bigger.

on the topic of resolution, I think 1280x720 (or somewhere close) would be the best, my dad just got a new phone, and it's resolution 1280x720, it looks amazing. the screen is 4.8 inches, 306 ppi. but whatever size we go for, I think we should aim close the the 300 ppi range

on the topic of resolution, I think 1280x720 (or somewhere close) would be the best, my dad just got a new phone, and it's resolution 1280x720, it looks amazing. the screen is 4.8 inches, 306 ppi. but whatever size we go for, I think we should aim close the the 300 ppi range

That's about the resolution of my 32 inch monitor, and it looks great to me. How close are you supposed to hold those phones to your face?

OLED will cause burn-in eventually. Seen it happen with my GP2X Wiz, but got it swapped for a completely new device. Be prepared to get a lot of units back if you use this, or better be clear about it when you sell these types of garbage screens.

Beans don't like being held up in a secretive mind, let them Free!

Back