Ruck-man

Only things I'd change is to grab the dots/power-pills easier (times I've had a baddy behind me, thought I'd grabbed a power pill and then turned around and been eaten is frustrating).

dj_orta said:
Hey ruck , first of all great game! I put it on my 2x last night at 10pm and was planning on goin to bed a 11 because i had to be at a meeting at 8am. Well thanks to your game i was up till 2:30 in the morning! Very enjoyable and addictive indeed. But i do have a few suggestions. These are going to be nit picks but they are things that i think can push the game from being "great" to being "prefect". The collision detection on the dots needs to be changed. So many times ive gone for the last dot and thought i got it only to find out i actually missed it. The sound when picking up the dots needs to be changed to play EVERY time i pick up a dot. I usually get 2-3 dots per sound (i do some music production stuff so thats why the sound bugs me a bit). The font in the options and when paused needs to be changed to something a little more simple. The "game paused" and "options" look fine but the "start:continue" ect.. need to be a different more simplified font. The hi-score should look like the info section. Each mode should have its own page and it should have the top 5 scores for each mode. Sorry if it seems like all im doing is being negative beacuse i really do think your game is great but i think these improvements could make it amazing. Oh, i also like the idea to map the A,B,X,Y buttons as movement buttons in addition to the joystick. I would be very happy to donate money for these additions as i am well aware that these would take time and im sure you are very busy. Again great game!
Thanks for the feedback dj_orta,

Some of your suggestions are planned so will definately be in a future version:

The highcore tables will definately be added it was simply due to lack of time before the end of the competition that they aren't already in.

I agree the font can be a little hard to read in certain places so I will be adding an extra font.

I will be adding A,B,X,Y as I think some people will definately prefer to control it this way.

The pellet eating sound is something I'm working on and you wouldn't believe the headache it's caused me, personally I'm not happy with it either but it was the best I could achieve before the deadline. Despite seeming the obvious solution, playing a sound for each dot doesn't work - tried it and it sounded terrible. I have some ideas to get the sound closer to how I want though so it will be better in a future release.

Changing the collision detection for the dots could be tricky due to the way they work, despite appearances the pellets aren't individual objects but are instead all part of one object and collisions are checked against an array - it's done this way as it runs considerably faster than having 150 or more separate objects for the pellets. I will try and think of a way to increase the collision range a little but will really only consider changing it if it's something I hear mentioned by lots of people as it was never mentioned during beta testing and personaly I found it to be fine.

Squidge said:
Only things I'd change is to grab the dots/power-pills easier (times I've had a baddy behind me, thought I'd grabbed a power pill and then turned around and been eaten is frustrating).
Hi Squidge, already replied to half your suggestion regarding pellet collision but the power pellets are a different matter as they could be replaced with separate objects and so easily have more adjustable collision (and as they are larger possibly warrant it more). Again it would depend on whether others see it as a problem at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yet another great game, Ruckage! Everything comes together very well, and the presentation is simply tops. I like the graphics, they're busy, but look great and colourful :)

My only suggestions are allowing for the action buttons to work as an alternative to the joypad (the joypad is not very good for quick reaction unfortunately), and yes, give the power pellets a larger collision box (it happened a couple of times that I've been chased by ghosts, walked into a corner to get the power pill, then turned around to eat the ghosts only to find that a collision with the pellet wasn't registered).

Again, great game, and I didn't even give all modes a serious try yet :)

i love the game like everyone else here. one thing i would like is to have the ghosts respawing slower. it seems right after you get rid of them they are right back at you. it seems to be more dangerous to attack the ghosts after getting a power a pellet than to just leave them scared due to this.

still i've had lots of fun with this. great presentation and cool game modes. i love that you were able to add unique powerups without adding guns or stuff like that that would take it away from really being a pac man game.

also off topic any chance of an update to or new version of protozoa?

jbrodack said:
i love the game like everyone else here. one thing i would like is to have the ghosts respawing slower. it seems right after you get rid of them they are right back at you. it seems to be more dangerous to attack the ghosts after getting a power a pellet than to just leave them scared due to this.

still i've had lots of fun with this. great presentation and cool game modes. i love that you were able to add unique powerups without adding guns or stuff like that that would take it away from really being a pac man game.

I mentioned the ghost respawn issue to Ruckage as well. Hopefully, he agrees that the ghosts come back out too soon.

I am willing to do some new music for Protozoa, but I would throw out the existing tune (since it did not receive a very positive response from the community) and make several different (and matching) tunes for it, like we did on Ruck-Man.

pferguso said:
jbrodack said:

I mentioned the ghost respawn issue to Ruckage as well. Hopefully, he agrees that the ghosts come back out too soon.

I am willing to do some new music for Protozoa, but I would throw out the existing tune (since it did not receive a very positive response from the community) and make several different (and matching) tunes for it, like we did on Ruck-Man.

Think you may be right, will try adjusting the respawning time for the ghosts and see how it works.

I think most people liked your tune for Protozoa (myself included) as far as I know only one person made a comment to the contrary and lets face it you can't please everyone. Having said that some extra tracks would be great for protozoa which could be added to the long over due update I promissed.

Thanks for the comments jbrodack a new version of Protozoa will definately be made though I can't promise when as I would like to make it something special (without ruining the basic gameplay).

CC4 said:
I hope Ruck-man makes it into one of the top three spots.
And eats them before killed by ghosts

pferguso said:
I love the Protozoa tune, as well as the Ruck-man's! Your music certainly contributes to the superb quality of Ruckage games.

b._.o._.b' said:
I love the Protozoa tune, as well as the Ruck-man's! Your music certainly contributes to the superb quality of Ruckage games.
I couldn't agree more. Just wait until you hear the improved Protozoa tune I just received :)

p.s did you know your username causes havoc when quoting ;)

ruckage said:
I couldn't agree more. Just wait until you hear the improved Protozoa tune I just received :)
You make a great couple :p

ruckage said:
p.s did you know your username causes havoc when quoting ;)
Yes I've read that before, unfortunately I can't change my name. I probably need to register again.

b._.o._.b said:
pferguso said:

Thanks b._.o._.b for the kind words. It is very rewarding to read positive feedback from the GP2x community, and it makes me want to make more music! I couldn't ask for a better game designer/coder than Ruckage either. He truly deserves the rewards of being a commercial developer in my opinion.

As far as Protozoa goes, Ruckage wants to keep the music that's in there, so I am going to make some new stuff, and leave it up to Ruckage how he wants to put it in the game.

Ruckage is supposed to be messing around with the new fenix runtime pretty soon, which is rumored to playback Ogg files using the second CPU, so he might be able to get more frames per second out of Ruck-Man. It is already such a tight game, so it'll be really nice if he can get it to run between 40-50 fps instead of 30.

pferguso posted on Jul 18 2007 at 11:26 PM said:
<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->b._.o._.b<!--c2--></div><!--ec2--> said:
</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
pferguso posted on Jul 11 2007 at 05:41 PM said:

Thanks b._.o._.b for the kind words. It is very rewarding to read positive feedback from the GP2x community, and it makes me want to make more music! I couldn't ask for a better game designer/coder than Ruckage either. He truly deserves the rewards of being a commercial developer in my opinion.

As far as Protozoa goes, Ruckage wants to keep the music that's in there, so I am going to make some new stuff, and leave it up to Ruckage how he wants to put it in the game.

Ruckage is supposed to be messing around with the new fenix runtime pretty soon, which is rumored to playback Ogg files using the second CPU, so he might be able to get more frames per second out of Ruck-Man. It is already such a tight game, so it'll be really nice if he can get it to run between 40-50 fps instead of 30.
It's not rumoured but its a feature request I have been requesting for many months lol.

Going to have to wait and see how the new runtime performs, my guess is it will be a little while before puck has anything solid to try. Quiest has done some tests with the latest runtime on PC and unfortunately it ran slower than the version we currently use :blink: though that perhaps isn't an indication of how it will run on GP2X. As for Ogg support using the second cpu that was Sam Fishers suggestion and a good one at that. Hopefully it can be done as it would give us a few more fps to play with.

I'm a bit late but... WOOOW
I always been a Pacman fanatic. It's for me the perfect exemple that a game could be interesting, difficult and challenging without being a tech demo.

Ruck-man is really awsome because I have the same gameplay as the original with some great design and extras.
I tested it yesterday and I really want to thank you for your entry.
I really like the colourfull design you've done on Ruck-man.

Congratulation and, again, thank you very much Ruckage.

I'm also very interested in your Cluedo game that is to come.
The design you have shown looks great.

I'll also have to congratulate you. The addictive gameplay and excellent graphics make this a commercial quality game. This and the newly updated Uae4all emulator are responsible for all my time spent on my gp2x nowadays. So great work, ruckage, and good luck on Cluedo.

virusx said:
Congratulation and, again, thank you very much Ruckage.
Shifty said:
I'll also have to congratulate you.
Thank you both very much, it's great to hear that my efforts are appreciated.

ruckage said:
I may do a port for PC though as it would really only need the controls changing - I would quite like to have it for my MAME cabinet when I eventually get it built.
Sorry to dig up an old post like this, but I was wondering if you already decided making a PC port.
Would be great :)

Back