Ruck-man

trooper said:
Right, I have a question, Seeing as this was coded in fenix, And I`m really being a knob (Or is it noob, Mmmmmm) with this question, But Anyway. Are programs/Games etcetera that are coded in fenix cross platform, ie. Could say, Something coded in fenix for the GP2x Run on the GP32 and vice versa for instance, Or are they totally incompatible (the two implementations of fenix i mean), As I know the GP2x and GP32 are incompatible on certain hardware fronts and at the firmware level.
Theoretically a fenix game should work on any platform that has a fenix port. As Sam said though it isn't always that easy. the main problems I can see would be speed and the ammount of available memory - resolution should be ok as I believe gp32 is also 320x240. Unfortunately as I don't own a GP32 a port is unlikely and even if I did own one it would probably need a lot of changes to get running correctly. I may do a port for PC though as it would really only need the controls changing - I would quite like to have it for my MAME cabinet when I eventually get it built.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the screenies, I would guess the ghosts eyes look in doifferent directions. If its like Pac or MsPacm, where they give clues..

RESPECT!

jeff

ruckage said:
Theoretically a fenix game should work on any platform that has a fenix port. As Sam said though it isn't always that easy. the main problems I can see would be speed and the ammount of available memory - resolution should be ok as I believe gp32 is also 320x240. Unfortunately as I don't own a GP32 a port is unlikely and even if I did own one it would probably need a lot of changes to get running correctly. I may do a port for PC though as it would really only need the controls changing - I would quite like to have it for my MAME cabinet when I eventually get it built.
A PC port would be great!

I tried to run some fenix games, did a quick attempt on linux but I could not get any of the games running. fxc filename creates a dcb file. And running that ended with an error.
Probably did everything wrong here, if someone can link me to a 'how to', that would be nice.

skeezix said:
From the screenies, I would guess the ghosts eyes look in doifferent directions. If its like Pac or MsPacm, where they give clues..

RESPECT!

jeff
Indeed they do - they also have different 'personalities' like the original games so all behave slightly differently.

b._.o._.b said:
A PC port would be great!

I tried to run some fenix games, did a quick attempt on linux but I could not get any of the games running. fxc filename creates a dcb file. And running that ended with an error.
Probably did everything wrong here, if someone can link me to a 'how to', that would be nice.
To get a fenix game running on PC you need a few files. I'm using windows so I'm not sure if it will be the same for Linux. As well as all the game files you need:

FXI.exe
SDL.dll
SDL_mixer
zlib.dll

You rename the FXI.exe to the name of the dcb file - e.g if your dcb is game.dcb FXI.exe would be re-named game.exe, all you have to do then is run this exe to start the game. Hope that's right - if I've made a mistake someone let me know.

ruckage said:
To get a fenix game running on PC you need a few files. I'm using windows so I'm not sure if it will be the same for Linux. As well as all the game files you need:
FXI.exe
SDL.dll
SDL_mixer
zlib.dll
You rename the FXI.exe to the name of the dcb file - e.g if your dcb is game.dcb FXI.exe would be re-named game.exe, all you have to do then is run this exe to start the game. Hope that's right - if I've made a mistake someone let me know.
Thanks, that was the info I needed.

This is what I did to get example file pong http://fenixonfire.gp32x.de/sources/pong.prg from http://fenixonfire.gp32x.de/html/sources.html running.

first
./fxc -a pong.prg # (not sure if -a is the best way)
result is pong.dcb created
renamed fxi to pong (no extension), made sure it was executable with chmod
./pong

And it worked!

JyCet said:
Wow, your screenshots are very good !!!

Does ghost use pathfinding AI ?
No - not real pathfinding anyway, and nor does the original. With real pathfinding the ghost would end up being almost impossible to beat and pathfinding is quite processor intensive . All the ghosts behave differently, some work together to try and trap you, but basically they make decisions at junctions and when a wall is hit based on there targets location and direction of travel. Once you figure out the behaviour of each ghost you can sometimes trick them which was also possible with the original game.

I love these ghosts. It's the first pacman game I've ever got past level 2 on with skill and not by random luck. Yes, I know I suck :D It's also got some really great modes. One of which i particularly love.

Is there any bossed and secret levels with nazis (Wolfinstein3D had secret level of pack-man)???

Hey Ruckage, I just realized you forgot to mention in the description a couple things:

3 difficulty settings
Separate customizable volume controls for music/SFX
High Score Table for each of the 4 game modes that saves automatically
Level Selection

There is just a TON of little things that make this game so wonderful. It is very addictive. And I'm not just saying that cause I did the music. This game is a "must have" for your GP2x.

OK, I'll get down off my soapbox now.

Go Ruckage!

I finally got to download it and play it from the gbax site.

FANTASTIC!! The game looks and play very nice. Definitely the sweetest thing I've seen for the gp2x in a while. great job!

Miika said:
This is really, really great. This could be a commercial game!

If anyone has any suggestions for improvements I'd be pleased to hear them. How are you all finding the controls, pferguso has suggested adding diagonal support to aid with navigating the maze, e.g to make it easier to go through zig-zag sections so rather than having to do a quick 'up left up' you would just hold diagonal up/left and Ruck-man would do the rest. Another option would be to add support for using the A,B,X,Y buttons to control Ruck - might make it less fiddly than the stick and would be quick to add.

If anyone has any suggestions for improvements I'd be pleased to hear them.

I think the game is amazing. I'm really impressed with the overall graphical look, you really have a lot of talent.

The only thing I've noticed that seemed odd was the collision detection. I kept not catching fruit that I swore I hit. Everything seems OK if you run completely over the fruit (or other objects, I assume), but if you partially run over it, then stop, you don't get the capture.

It was late last night when I noticed this, I'll try some more and see if I can reproduce.

Pete

satacoy said:
I think the game is amazing. I'm really impressed with the overall graphical look, you really have a lot of talent.

The only thing I've noticed that seemed odd was the collision detection. I kept not catching fruit that I swore I hit. Everything seems OK if you run completely over the fruit (or other objects, I assume), but if you partially run over it, then stop, you don't get the capture.

It was late last night when I noticed this, I'll try some more and see if I can reproduce.

Pete
Thanks for the feedback Pete.

The collision detection in Ruck-man isn't pixel perfect, instead it's based on the distance between objects. This is deliberate as otherwise the slightest touch of a ghost would prove fatal and be quite annoying. The same type of collision is used in many games including the original Pacman, you'll see if you play the original the ghosts overlap pacman quite a bit before a hit is registered.

I think the radius of the collision is about right for the ghost collisions but if the general consensus is that it needs to be more sensitive when it comes to collecting fruit etc. I can easily adjust it.

Hey ruck , first of all great game! I put it on my 2x last night at 10pm and was planning on goin to bed a 11 because i had to be at a meeting at 8am. Well thanks to your game i was up till 2:30 in the morning! Very enjoyable and addictive indeed. But i do have a few suggestions. These are going to be nit picks but they are things that i think can push the game from being "great" to being "prefect". The collision detection on the dots needs to be changed. So many times ive gone for the last dot and thought i got it only to find out i actually missed it. The sound when picking up the dots needs to be changed to play EVERY time i pick up a dot. I usually get 2-3 dots per sound (i do some music production stuff so thats why the sound bugs me a bit). The font in the options and when paused needs to be changed to something a little more simple. The "game paused" and "options" look fine but the "start:continue" ect.. need to be a different more simplified font. The hi-score should look like the info section. Each mode should have its own page and it should have the top 5 scores for each mode. Sorry if it seems like all im doing is being negative beacuse i really do think your game is great but i think these improvements could make it amazing. Oh, i also like the idea to map the A,B,X,Y buttons as movement buttons in addition to the joystick. I would be very happy to donate money for these additions as i am well aware that these would take time and im sure you are very busy. Again great game!

Back