Ruck-man Update

Perhaps Miss Ruck-Man should make an appearance in the future.........

missruckmanhw8.gif

ruckage said:
Perhaps Miss Ruck-Man should make an appearance in the future.........

missruckmanhw8.gif
Damn she's hot! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
ruckage said:
Nova said:
Holy crap no, you should do a Co-Op mode, where one person uses one control set, and one uses the other. That would rule.
There's no reason I couldn't do both, co-op mode is also a good idea and the more modes the better.

Gee, you're swell...

:wub:

ruckage said:
Another addition I would like to add is scrolling mazes though I would probably have to lose the animated pellets for those as it would put too much of a strain on fenix to scroll and animate 150+ pellets as well.
For what it is worth I was never a fan of scrolling mazes in Pac-Man games. Why? For the simple reason that if you can only see part of the screen at once you can't see where some of the ghosts are at all times. This means you will be moving along and ghosts will scroll on screen not giving a way out. This spoils the "strategy" in knowing the positions of all ghosts so you can plan your path. Some may call this scrolling more challeging but I just found it annoying in the past.

Maybe you could add intermissions like the original pac-man series? those were nice to have, a goal to play towards.

Anyway this current version is great :)

DaveC said:
ruckage said:
Another addition I would like to add is scrolling mazes though I would probably have to lose the animated pellets for those as it would put too much of a strain on fenix to scroll and animate 150+ pellets as well.
For what it is worth I was never a fan of scrolling mazes in Pac-Man games. Why? For the simple reason that if you can only see part of the screen at once you can't see where some of the ghosts are at all times. This means you will be moving along and ghosts will scroll on screen not giving a way out. This spoils the "strategy" in knowing the positions of all ghosts so you can plan your path. Some may call this scrolling more challeging but I just found it annoying in the past.

Maybe you could add intermissions like the original pac-man series? those were nice to have, a goal to play towards.

Anyway this current version is great :)

I do tend to agree with you regarding scrolling mazes but I had a few requests for them so thought it would be nice to add as an extra mode, all single screen mazes would stay and still be the predominant mode. I think the reason games like Pac-Mania were not as popular was partially down to the scrolling.

Intermissions will definately be added, I really wanted to get some in before the compo but as they fall into the 'Nice but not necessary' category I had no time to get them done.

Doesn't work for me, on boot it returns to GP2X main menù
The same problem occurs with Blingo
My firmware version is 2.1.1

PuLSaR said:
That's odd. Not heard from anyone else with that problem and the firmware you're using is the same as mine. Other than those games do any others have the same problem?

ruckage said:
PuLSaR said:
That's odd. Not heard from anyone else with that problem and the firmware you're using is the same as mine. Other than those games do any others have the same problem?

Yeah!
Sorry :blink:
It was a fault of my zip archiver, some files wasn't extracted to destination folder
Now either Blingo and Ruckman works perfectly!
And...yeah, great games!

How about a level editor? Would make great company for a great game :)

Also, does this version fix the joystick issue? On the last version it frequently moved upwards when I moved the stick left or right.

Squidge said:
How about a level editor? Would make great company for a great game :)

Also, does this version fix the joystick issue? On the last version it frequently moved upwards when I moved the stick left or right.
I did consider adding a maze editor and may still do in the future. The problem I have is an editor for the end user would need to check certain rules are adhered to to make sure levels are valid. I would quite like to have the editor built into the game.

The joystick issue you describe is not a bug I'm aware of, I have added ABXY button control in this release though so you could see if the problem persists using this control method.

ruckage said:
The joystick issue you describe is not a bug I'm aware of, I have added ABXY button control in this release though so you could see if the problem persists using this control method.
As Ruck-man approaches a junction I'm pressing the direction I want him to go but it doesn't register. It happens whether I'm using the joystick or the ABXY configuration.

My experience is that it appears to get worse the longer you play. I can zip through level one with the joystick and it'll only happen once but then it'll happen eleven times on level two. It's the same with the ABXY configuration although I'm not very good playing this way.

Back in 1992 I wrote a Pacman game in 8086 asm. I designed the control system this way: the user presses a direction key which is stored in a variable. The Pacman update code reads this variable and when the direction becomes available it is taken. There are many benefits to using this system :-
  • The user can look ahead because Pacman's next direction is already assigned
  • The user isn't required to keep a key pressed whilst traversing a junction
  • It adds precision to the controls
Regards

Thunor said:
As Ruck-man approaches a junction I'm pressing the direction I want him to go but it doesn't register. It happens whether I'm using the joystick or the ABXY configuration.

My experience is that it appears to get worse the longer you play. I can zip through level one with the joystick and it'll only happen once but then it'll happen eleven times on level two. It's the same with the ABXY configuration although I'm not very good playing this way.

Back in 1992 I wrote a Pacman game in 8086 asm. I designed the control system this way: the user presses a direction key which is stored in a variable. The Pacman update code reads this variable and when the direction becomes available it is taken. There are many benefits to using this system :-
  • The user can look ahead because Pacman's next direction is already assigned
  • The user isn't required to keep a key pressed whilst traversing a junction
  • It adds precision to the controls
Regards
Thanks for the feedback thunor.

I did use this control system originally but felt in the end it wasn't appropriate. The reason i think this is because if the direction is stored and you change your mind you can't simply release the joypad you have to physically press another direction to cancel your choice. It could be added as an option to work this way but i won't make it the sole control method. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has the problem of directions 'not registering' as I haven't encountered it and it was never mentioned by my beta testers. I will see if I can get the option added for storing pressed direction in the next day or so as it's already setup to add it quite easily.

I've uploaded a new version to the archive, hopefully it will be approved and available to download soon.

New features in 1.03
------------------------
Added a new control mode that can be found in the options menu. Setting control to 'memorize' means that you only have to tap a direction and as soon as Ruck-man is able to move that way he will. In normal mode a direction has to be held for ruckman to take a direction.

Hows that for a fast service ;) I'll post again when the download is available.

I've just played the new 1.03 several times using both control methods.

Firstly I tried the existing control method "normal". Previously I was experiencing an obvious unresponsiveness using this system but now I am almost willing to accept that this is joystick ineptitude on my part; I say almost. I'm wondering whether you have unwittingly fixed this by reimplementing the "memorise" method.

Next I tried the new "memorise" method. For me this is perfect. Navigating Ruck-man around a succession of corners highlights how much more efficient this system is.

Now I can play this through :)

Many thanks.

Thunor said:
I've just played the new 1.03 several times using both control methods.

Firstly I tried the existing control method "normal". Previously I was experiencing an obvious unresponsiveness using this system but now I am almost willing to accept that this is joystick ineptitude on my part; I say almost. I'm wondering whether you have unwittingly fixed this by reimplementing the "memorise" method.

Next I tried the new "memorise" method. For me this is perfect. Navigating Ruck-man around a succession of corners highlights how much more efficient this system is.

Now I can play this through :)

Many thanks.
No problem, glad it works well for you now. The code hasn't actually changed other than adding a line that tells it not to reset the last direction chosen if 'memorize control' is selected so I can't think why it was causing problems before. Always good to have options to customise a game to personal taste so I was happy to add it, especially as it was such a quick and easy addition.

Back