Noiz2sa

thebooboo

Still Fresh
Website
www.timsrecordlabel.com
(Relevant links and screenshots to follow shortly)

Japanese hardcore solo developer Kenta Cho is well-renowned on the indie-shooter scene and his website is packed with innovative and highly addictive free shooters, mainly for Windows. Noiz2sa is one of his earlier efforts and as such uses C and SDL rather than the OpenGL/D combination he has come to favour with later games such as Torus Trooper, making it a prime candidate for porting to consoles, and indeed ported it has been, firstly to the Dreamcast, and now, descended from that port, to the GP2X.

Upon loading up, you're immediately struck with how wonderfully stylised the graphics are. Drawing inspiration from hip, simplistic graphic design of recent times (most obviously Tetsuya Mutzuguchi's cult shooter Rez), everything in the game is composed of rectangles, other than the text which is in a "digital watch" style font. An obvious benfit of this for Kenta Cho is that it allowed him to minimise time spent on the game graphics while ensuring a highly polished look and feel, and it works beautifully.

Accompanied by techno music of varying quality, you're thrust into a frantic blaster reminiscent of Treasure classics "Radiant Silvergun" and "Ikaragua", with a default twin-firing, vertically scrolling configuration and no power-ups. Each level is a bewildering survival challenge against a barrage of bullets fired by the abstract enemies, and given real variety and challenge from their consumate coding in Kenta Cho's own "bulletML" markup language. Vast quantities of points-increasing bonuses drift down from destroyed enemies, making an ecstatic score-attack frenzy of the proceedings. After finishing off a boss composed of a larger rectangle orbited by smaller ones, it's level complete, and the subsequent challenge thereafter is to beat your high score.

This is a wonderfully complete and polished game, especially considering it's a free homebrew product. It's possibly hampered a little by the minimal, hardcore gameplay, which for me is best in short bursts, and the slightly varying framerate and occasional screen lock-ups, although this may be attributable to the GP2X's SDL libraries rather than the efforts of the original developer or porter.

In short, the best free shooter on the GP2X, and one of the best free homebrew games available for it overall. Miss it at your peril!

Score - 9/10

I want his other games now. Torus Trooper and Tumiki Fighters, preferably.

jbrodack posted on Jul 28 2006 at 08:43 PM said:
what about rrootage? it seems possible to port according to the wip in the wiki. but that wip made no mention of any actual progress or even beginning of a port.
You seem to be mistaken.

See http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/RRootagePort

It claims that while the game seems difficult to port, it should be fairly easy to port due to the reasons listed in the previously linked page.

Last edited by a moderator:
After a little bit of playing.. [ read 2 hour ] I said to myself,
would the R trigger button would be cool for the shooting.. and
have our thumb ready for pressing on the X button :p

So I'm asking you, do somone want my modded version or not ?

paxl13

THX posted on Sep 6 2006 at 03:48 AM said:
How do I install it?
You unzip it on your SD card!

- Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
That guy makes some of the best freeware games in the pc world. My personal favorite is RRootage (gives me a chance to play all my old favorite game styles, without playing the same level repeatably, plus its simple, nice looking, and its boss focus is pretty fun), so i'm pretty hopeful that it will get a port, or if all else fails in a few years when i actually do something useful as a cs major maybe i'll try my luck :p.

Noiz2sa is a fine game though, less shooter, more dodger. These games really do show off how simple a game can be and look fantastic.

Agreed, one hell of a game! Unfortunately, from what I gather, the rest of his games use OpenGL to some extent, Noiz2sa being the only pure-SDL - I may be wrong though.

- Alex

I don't think RRootage uses OpenGL, so it could probably be ported. I'd like to see it, but I don' t know if anyone's interested in doing it.

Back