Kim Chi Man

hwong3

Still Fresh
Kim Chi Man gp32_console is not going to break any records, but its quite a bit of fun. With that said, let me cover the basics:

Overview :p
kim_screen012.jpg

Generally, Kim Chi Man is a 2D platformer like any other, with lots of platform jumping and lots of button mashing (when fighting creatures on each stage - such as drink cups, hamburgers and frnech fries - apparently the arch enemies of Kim Chi Man and his spicy pickled friends - I believe you can play as a spicy pickled radish and some other root as well). There are three selectable characters, but they are all about the same. The basic premis to to go from the beginning to the end collecting lollipops, and other assorted items, then fight a boss character. I'll get into more detail below.

Graphics B)
Graphics are very nicely done with good scrolling backgrounds and very detailed and colorful levels. The animations for creatures and your player character could be better, at times they look almost choppy (particularly while punching or shooting), but it doesn't effect gameplay much. Each stage has a them which are sufficiently different to hold interest. Bosses are ususally a decent size, taking up around an eigth of the screen (and sometimes less). Nothing great, but well executed and really looks good on the BLU.

GRAPHICS = 8.5/10

Music and Sound :unsure:
Music is repetitive, but sufficient. It sounds like videogame music infinitely looped, with a little bit of variety. It's unoffensive, but also unneccesary.

Sound effects are simple boigs and bells. They almost sound a little choppy as if someone didn't take the time to smooth the transitions of sound effects - but there is no popping, so at least you have that going for you. Again, nothing to write home about.

MUSIC & SOUND = 7/10

Playability :)
This game has great playability. Its simple to pick up and play, won't fustrate as it has just the right amount of difficulty (and may even be a little easy for platforming veterans). Control is decent and relatively responsive. Unfortunately, there's a lot of platform jumping, and its easy to mis-time a double jump leaving you plumeting to your doom several times. However, theres no limits to continues and you can continue at any time at the stage you left off at (even after turning it off) with a full set of lives. So losing lives really isn't that bad.

In addition to the main game, there are a set of about 6 minigames. Each of these recreate a boss battle with a timer, just for fun, except for two. The top mini game on the list (for those who don't read Korean - and I don't) is a simple mini game where you run around dodging items from the sky while kicking certain items at a creature at the end of the screen. So basically, if you can kick enough stuff at the creature while dodging random items from the sky within a set amount of time, you win. The other cool non-boss battle mini game is my favorite. This is the last on the list of mini games on the menu. This one is a cross between Pong and Air Hocket. Basically, your charcater has a shield and goes up against progressively tougher opponents bouncing a ball back and forth. Behind each character are eight vegetables. If all the vegetables behind you get hit before you get all of the other person's vegetables, you lose, and vice versa. It's simple, but effective for a fun little minigame while you're waiting in line or what have you.

PLAYABILITY = 8/10

Overall
Kim Chi Man is a standard platformer with good controls and middling music/sound effects. It doesn't break new ground, but its a good diversion which showcases the GP32's colorful screen with nicely drawn graphics. The game itself doesn't really lend itself to replayability, but the minigames will keep you coming back for those times in which you want to kill time commuting or waiting in line. And for the 14,000 KW (about $13 US Dollars), you can download it from Joy GP at www.entware.com. You can also buy the card version in the box from Lik-Sang for $34.95.

OVERALL = 8/10 :rolleyes:

Ha Kung
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/hwong

Not at all. I've completed the game now and did not encounter any translation/ foreign language problems. Basically, collect all the items you see and make it from one end to the other (and sometimes up and around). I follow the screen to where I can go and usually it'll just end after I collect a certain number of items.

Just so you know heres the Main Menu Screen in English (effective transaltion, not direct):

Play
Continue from Save
Minigames

I have one correction about the minigames, apparently all of them are just recreated boss battles, including the Air Hockey meets Pong minigame. Apparently, that's the boss for Stage 5.

Stage 6 is a flying and shooting stahe, like a cute version of R-Type/Gradius. Very nice, but with a really difficult end boss! :D

Back