Release REICAST - Dreamcast Emulator

How hard is it to add a frameskip option? Does it have to added to the source or can it be ported in. I mean do you know how to add it (Pitseb) or do the people working on the source itself have to add it. btw im not pressuring anyone I'm just curious. And I know it was stated that it might not help much but it might be a fun option to play with.

I tried Capcom vs Snk2 and Virtua Tennis on my Rebirth at 950. Both are choppy and CVS 2 has funky (but recognizable) sprites but VT looked pretty good! 

and just select the default date?
It remembers that date and time.
I just learned that the reason its happening is because the dc_flash.bin isn't being written to after the date and/or time is changed.

EDIT: Here's some lines from its IRC channel which might fix the issue:

[19:49] <neko68k> not even sure where that happens for pandora... on android I had to add a call and change the nvram filename that the core write to

[20:05] <PsyMan> indeed

[20:06] <PsyMan> wait, actually

[20:06] <PsyMan> it's the same root problem

[20:06] <PsyMan> we don't exit properly

[20:06] <PsyMan> iirc

[20:09] <neko68k> ah

[20:09] <neko68k> saving nvram to disk for sure works on android though, its not in the binary on the play store though

[20:11] <PsyMan> ?

[20:12] <PsyMan> ahh, it's fixed?

[20:12] <PsyMan> which commit fixed that?

[20:16] <neko68k> I didn't push it to master

[20:16] <neko68k> https://github.com/reicast/reicast-emulator/commit/21a19c024b9c25d3b80fa583a544090bad7104a2

[20:16] <neko68k> those first two

Last edited by a moderator:
How hard is it to add a frameskip option? Does it have to added to the source or can it be ported in. I mean do you know how to add it (Pitseb) or do the people working on the source itself have to add it. btw im not pressuring anyone I'm just curious. And I know it was stated that it might not help much but it might be a fun option to play with.
it already had frameskip i think. the pandora is just too slow to handle everything at this stage.

Ps2 and Gamecube too. :)

Everyone ready? Pyra! Pyra! Pyra! Repeat after me: Pyra! Pyra! Pyra! Christmas 2014! Christmas 2014! Christmas 2014! :D

Well, if Reicast gets the same steady development as ppsspp, next Christmas we'll be playing DC games fullspeed in our Ghz Pandoras ;)

Legendary! I can see myself spending a lot of time on this if it works properly. Will test when I get home from work and see how it goes.

Thanks again!

Well, if Reicast gets the same steady development as ppsspp, next Christmas we'll be playing DC games fullspeed in our Ghz Pandoras ;)
even on the current ppsspp many games are still too slow on pandora.
besides, ppsspp was not so optimized when it first came out, this is totally different for this first release of reicast.

Yeah maybe psp and dreamcast for sure on the pyra and maybe a barely running ps2 emu.

Gamecube was pretty powerful so its a no go by all accounts.

and just select the default date?
It remembers that date and time.
I just learned that the reason its happening is because the dc_flash.bin isn't being written to after the date and/or time is changed.

EDIT: Here's some lines from its IRC channel which might fix the issue:

[19:49] <neko68k> not even sure where that happens for pandora... on android I had to add a call and change the nvram filename that the core write to

[20:05] <PsyMan> indeed

[20:06] <PsyMan> wait, actually

[20:06] <PsyMan> it's the same root problem

[20:06] <PsyMan> we don't exit properly

[20:06] <PsyMan> iirc

[20:09] <neko68k> ah

[20:09] <neko68k> saving nvram to disk for sure works on android though, its not in the binary on the play store though

[20:11] <PsyMan> ?

[20:12] <PsyMan> ahh, it's fixed?

[20:12] <PsyMan> which commit fixed that?

[20:16] <neko68k> I didn't push it to master

[20:16] <neko68k> https://github.com/reicast/reicast-emulator/commit/21a19c024b9c25d3b80fa583a544090bad7104a2

[20:16] <neko68k> those first two
Ok, that's very usefull :)

I'll look into it.

About the question on frameskip. I am not sure it can be usefull. I tried some experiment with over/under clocking the SH4 CPU (which is 200MHz as base speed), but I haven't found a value that improve anything. So I'll take a look at frame skip, just to see...

*EDIT* : Ok, I have the nvram saved now. I fixed the exit of the emu, so reicast has a chance to save the file. I'll will work on few things more and try to upload a build 03 today...

=D

Im so excited...

Incoming runs quite good ... just until I try to turn the camera around. (toward the base) =P

It's because you got killed by enemy fire (literally) :)

Joking aside,  yeah, runs pretty good there.  I hope drkIIRaziel keeps working his magic to improve it on the Pandora as he will get a shiny 1GHz Panda soon :)

I also get SGX crashes, at least with 4.03.002.

I just tried with 4.10, and it seems more stable... I will publish a build 03 soon I think.

Back