Release REICAST - Dreamcast Emulator

I have a serial adaptor for my dreamcast from back in the day and have experienced the slow data transfer speeds, but it does work.

I always wanted the broadband adaptor but have never been able to get one (at a reasonable price).
Yes its very expensive this Broadband Adapter.

Have you a good Link to buy an DC to SD Adapter?

sorry I don't know, I think I got mine from lik-sang (before sony forced them to close) though I may be wrong.

it looks like this:

dreamcast-coders-cable.jpg

This emu should work great on the Pyra. Someone made a homebrew thingie for the dc that replaces the gd rom drive. I forget the details but there is something about it over at dreamcasttalk

I have one of those dreamshell dongle thingies ordered from china where you can stick in an Sd card, but never had the time to figure out how to make it work ... may be I will revisit it again someday...

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a schematic somewhere that shows how to wire up the serial port to an SD card slot - you can either search for a compatible serial port plug, or just cut a slot on the DC case and solder the wires to the inside terminals of the serial port.  It's really quite a simple schematic, with all the clever stuff to make it work in dreamshell or whatever app.

(Short version: Saves don't work...is it possible to fix?)

So, if I understand this correctly, Reicast was simply ported to the Pandora, right? And if so, that means there isn't really anything the "porter" can do about bugs and features and such, until the "developers" of Reicast update it, correct?

Aaaand...if this isn't the case, and features can be added...

You know what? Screw it! I'm just gonna say it, so far, this is AMAZING, and the framerate is considerably better than I would've imagined it would be on the Pandora, but the biggest, worse bug I noticed, is that even though the games seem to be saving to the VMU just fine, the saves appear to instantly get corrupted, because each time I run the emulator again, I have to start a new file. Is there any plans on getting this fixed? Or anything I can do in the meantime?

(Short version: Saves don't work...is it possible to fix?)

So, if I understand this correctly, Reicast was simply ported to the Pandora, right? And if so, that means there isn't really anything the "porter" can do about bugs and features and such, until the "developers" of Reicast update it, correct?

Aaaand...if this isn't the case, and features can be added...

You know what? Screw it! I'm just gonna say it, so far, this is AMAZING, and the framerate is considerably better than I would've imagined it would be on the Pandora, but the biggest, worse bug I noticed, is that even though the games seem to be saving to the VMU just fine, the saves appear to instantly get corrupted, because each time I run the emulator again, I have to start a new file. Is there any plans on getting this fixed? Or anything I can do in the meantime?
Well Ptitseb did put a bit of effort on the Pandora version, including performance enhancements... Honestly I'm not having issues with save games, but I typically only play Soul Calibur and it seems to be saving my progress, so I haven't spent too much time trying other games. 

VMU saves in Sonic Adventure work fine for me...
Hmm...that's odd. That's one of the games that I was testing with. And so far, after about 3 or 4 tries, the save got corrupted 100% of the time. It even happens if I switch to the second VMU slot. In that case, maybe I'm doing something wrong. As a matter of fact, simply accessing it, even without saving (unless it autosaves, which is actually quite likely come to think of it) causes corruption. technically speaking, I'm not sure if it's corruption that's happening, but it seems likely, because I can't access my last used VMU card (yes, the entire card, not just individual files on it) after restarting the emulator, unless I completely delete the data from the appdata folder.

Wow, that's just...strange. It happened so frequently for me, (like I said, 100% so far) that I simply assumed it was a common, known, unresolved bug. I guess I'll test it some more, see if it still happens. Could it somehow be related to the BIOS files or something? Because other than downloading them and putting them in appdata where they belong, (I can't remember the exact directory) I can't think of anything else I did. It's the only variable I can think of. Unless the "Sonic Adventure.cdi" file is a bad dump. I don't know, any suggestions?

Actually...should I start this as a new topic in support? Just to keep this more organized? If we end up going off on a tangent here, I'd rather not clutter up useful information in off-topic sources...

strange behavour. Did you try to wipe your appdata/reicast folder, just in case?
I tried deleting some important files (such as the VMU saves themselves) so that the emulator itself could recreate them, but haven't completely deleted the entire folder. I'll try that now.

Could it also be a card format issue? Is it a FAT32 card?
Oh, good point; I didn't even think of that! I'm on a 128GB NTFS SD Card, which is anything BUT FAT32, haha. Anyways, I have another SD Card in the second slot that's FAT32, so let me try that.

Okay, I'll try both of these things at the same time, and post back my results...

Edit: Okay, just tested it, it works fine now. Between needing to wipe the data, and using a different SD Card, one of those was the problem. (Most likely the SD Card though.) So thanks guys, it works now!

NTFS? Interesting.

I tested on ext2 & Fat32 (lightly for the VMU I must say, but it seems to works ok on my side), but not on NTFS.

Any specific message in the logs also.

A bit off topic but the download counter on the repo for Reicast is strange. Is sudenly show more the 34K+ download ?! Weird. The pnd must have been linked to some Android download I guess...

Looks very promising! I had read the finalised r7 release was almost done, wasn't expecting to see an update on the Pandora so fast though!

Back