Reality Check - Shipping Date

God Ginrai posted on May 22 2009 at 09:42 AM said:
lol. Did you draw that?

-God Ginrai
no shooped it from 4chan lol

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who took a break from these forums, I can personally attest to how well it works. Time is FLYING compared to when I used to F5 this board all the time.

So with that, I would just like to say I agree with everyone.

1. Don't dwell on anything OP team says. (Monk, Post #93. Funny stuff)
  2. Be patient. (Whatever that means to you. Buy something else or just wait)
  3. Realize that waiting just makes the device reliable.

Other then that I don't think there is anything *to* do. I don't even think a refund could happen. We've been told before that the first batch won't make any money for OP. So your only option = wait.

Once again, I highly recommend leaving these forums and only watching the unofficial blog for now. When the device gets in everyone's hands then this place will be swirling with good times.

Just my 2 cents. and with that. I'm off...WOOSH

[*]Realize that waiting just makes the device reliable.
[/LIST]

Other then that I don't think there is anything *to* do. I don't even think a refund could happen. We've been told before that the first batch won't make any money for OP. So your only option = wait.

Once again, I highly recommend leaving these forums and only watching the unofficial blog for now. When the device gets in everyone's hands then this place will be swirling with good times.

Just my 2 cents. and with that. I'm off...WOOSH
I see it this way: Whether you believe what Craig and Co. say or not, you should always expect an unknown delay to happen. Because whether they just happen to take things slow, or a delay actually happens, it's probably going to take longer anyways.

-God Ginrai

michaeljustman posted on May 22 2009 at 11:15 AM said:
RenegadeChic posted on May 22 2009 at 02:48 AM said:
Monk posted on May 22 2009 at 09:21 AM said:
Well one of the supposed reasons that it isn't out is because they want to do it RIGHT, not quick. For which I have a certain amount of sympathy/support.
{snip}

Get 'em while they're hot!

i reckon theres a whole wealth of people who will jump on board when they realise this isnt vapour. second batchers, especially if theres credit card ordering, will definitely be there.
Not to mention the second batch will probably go with a lot less hitches, because they'll have been through the process of getting them together before.
Well, yes, it should go a LOT smoother and faster, but I think the combination of credit card orders (some feeling of having a secure chain to yank the money back at any stage) combined with the "proof of the pudding" (well HE got one and so did SHE so they're really real!) has got to be the hope for Pandora becomming succesful. IMHO. YMMV. PCMCIA.

. I persoanlly despair of emoticons to indicate sly winks and suchlike as too often I've seen them used to excuse abusive behaviour, so while I try to use them I can't say I have any faith that the system represents the true intentions of the poster often enough for it to be a vluable method of communication :(
Trying to get Linux and Windows working together on my Netbook was fun, in the odd spare moment, and it's a great distraction from the forums - as should my continuing dabbling with Linux (training myself for Pandora's arrival). This board going down when it did actually helped me to focus energies elsewhere - I'm all for board flakiness at present!

Ta,

. This board going down when it did actually helped me to focus energies elsewhere - I'm all for board flakiness at present!

Ta,
I took out a near 1000 page manual on Unix from my library. Apart from the epic scale it's much better than any Linux guide/documentation/help/book that i've used before!

ashdjones posted on May 23 2009 at 09:35 PM said:
I took out a near 1000 page manual on Unix from my library. Apart from the epic scale it's much better than any Linux guide/documentation/help/book that i've used before!
Heh, it's funny how you can try book after book after book before you find one that just meshes with the way you think/work... I'm taking a much more laid-back laymans approach to the Linux thing and thus far it's been going pretty well, spread out as it is between the many aspects of modern daily life. I can't help but wonder quite why we're going to ahve a GP32-type file site rather than a Linux-style "repository", but either way we should have tremendous "off-the-shelf" fun with the minimum amount of user know-how required. Which suits me nowadays!

Monk posted on May 25 2009 at 12:42 PM said:
I can't help but wonder quite why we're going to have a GP32-type file site rather than a Linux-style "repository", but either way we should have tremendous "off-the-shelf" fun with the minimum amount of user know-how required. Which suits me nowadays!
I think it's because single files work better with removable storage (no conflicts, split dependency trees or version problems). I don't doubt that someone will create an elegant solution to get the best of both worlds, but for now I think this is the right choice in terms of benefits vs. complexity.

Maybe we can play guess the PCB while we arewaiting for the Pandora:
Which device do you think this is from?
97264806.jpg

- My first thought was a GB rom (possibly with extra chips in it) but thats probably by far too complex for that and the connectors are the same length everywhere and not split in the center :p
- Second thought N64 rom, but same problem

Is it a Jaguar cartridge? The pins look a bit like this
jagcart.jpg

On the other hand it's a lot more complicated. Then again, the above is not a game cartridge.

BINGO!

It is a Jaguar unpopulated Cartrige Prototype for a Jaguar CF-Card Reader.

Ok, that was a hard one ;-)

Monk posted on May 25 2009 at 05:42 AM said:
I can't help but wonder quite why we're going to ahve a GP32-type file site rather than a Linux-style "repository", but either way we should have tremendous "off-the-shelf" fun with the minimum amount of user know-how required. Which suits me nowadays!
Because a repository needs a special program to access it. It might make it easy to install stuff directly on the Pandora, but not everyone will appreciate that. A file site, on the other hand, is accessible by any computer with a browser (and even some without) to which you can save the downloaded file to anywhere on the SD card of your choosing. I would hope that copying a single file from a Download directory to an SD card (or even straight onto the SD card) is not so far out of the average users grasp as to make it inaccessible. Alternatively, by using a file site, you can simply create a program with a user friendly UI which treats the site as its repository, giving you the best of both worlds.

WizardStan posted on May 25 2009 at 04:56 PM said:
Alternatively, by using a file site, you can simply create a program with a user friendly UI which treats the site as its repository, giving you the best of both worlds.
For this purpose it would be nice to have a way to retrieve the application list and information in a friendlier form. Maybe a separate URI for the data in xml form? Of course the same information COULD be parsed from the HTML, but that way changes in the layout could break programs and so on.

WizardStan posted on May 25 2009 at 09:56 AM said:
Because a repository needs a special program to access it.
I can download angstrom package with a browser. I can even search for a package with my browser. Even Apache dirlist do the job.
wget, lynx, firefox, internet explorer, chrome can do this for you.
And dont say me that you won't be able to extract this : is a simple bz2 file containing gzip files. Even 7z (windows) will open this.
Any linux box should have no trouble openning it :)
If managing package is too hard for some, you'll just need an ipkg frontend.

sebt3 posted on May 25 2009 at 10:24 AM said:
I can download angstrom package with a browser. I can even search for a package with my browser. Even Apache dirlist do the job.
That's just an apache front end to the repository, kind of the reverse of what I already suggested: a web front end to a repository, as opposed to a repository front end to a web file list.
To have both a repository and web list would be the divine solution, but the original question was why a file list INSTEAD of a repository, implying one or the other. If you can only have one or the other, my argument is the web list is superior.

Guys, take a look at Lift.

You can have multiple frontends/templates (XML, webservice, XHTML, PDF, RSS, WAP/mobile, and anything else you can think of that's tag based and/or Java-compatible) while still accessing the same data through it's separation of content and display system. And then I REALLY mean separation, and not like the JSP hackish separation system, or the PHP data-access-wherever-you-like model. The same server, all in one package, tens of times faster than PHP, with compiled code, the ability to cluster the whole thing, typesafety, compatibilty with virtually any database system, etc. And it's really really easy to use (provided that you speak Scala of course).

I could probably whip up a frontend/XML listing and a GUI like the one used for the Ångström repo in no-time. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if the Ångström browser didn't already use Lift.

BTW, there's no reason to stick with the current webinterfaced file-archive model; it seems to be very out-of-date. No reason at all.

Back