Real Eta Please!?

jb0yx said:
TrashyMG said:
Oh and for the spelling / grammar Nazis out there F- off.
ya konw, I hraed a rperot ocne taht the sepillng of ecah wrod colud be cmoleptely off as lnog as the frist and lsat leettrs wree coecrrt and it wolud sitll be 99% udnersantdable.

idneed

Last edited by a moderator:
Alerino said:
ya konw, I hraed a rperot ocne taht the sepillng of ecah wrod colud be cmoleptely off as lnog as the frist and lsat leettrs wree coecrrt and it wolud sitll be 99% udnersantdable.

isnt that strange...what works perfectly well in your own language (reading words with swapped letters inside) takes a considerable amount of efford to read in a still very common (to me at least) but foreign language.

Oh well what was the topic?

TrashyMG said:
jb0yx said:
TrashyMG said:

idneed
Off topic:
It actually only works when letters being swapped have similar size, and only in context. The 'n' and 'o' in "know" can be swapped and the word understood as you pass over it in a sentence, but the 'd' and 'n' in "indeed" are too different for your brain to make the immediate connection, especially without context.
The only reason I know this is because the report was first made (or at least made internet popular) during the one semester I took an intro to psych class, and someone asked about it. We spent the rest of the class analyzing word and letter patterns and how the brain interprets partial letters, which conveniently helped me a little when it came time in my AI class to write a character recognizing AI.

On topic:
what the heck were we talking about again?

WizardStan said:
TrashyMG said:
jb0yx said:
TrashyMG said:

idneed
Off topic:
It actually only works when letters being swapped have similar size, and only in context. The 'n' and 'o' in "know" can be swapped and the word understood as you pass over it in a sentence, but the 'd' and 'n' in "indeed" are too different for your brain to make the immediate connection, especially without context.
The only reason I know this is because the report was first made (or at least made internet popular) during the one semester I took an intro to psych class, and someone asked about it. We spent the rest of the class analyzing word and letter patterns and how the brain interprets partial letters, which conveniently helped me a little when it came time in my AI class to write a character recognizing AI.

On topic:
what the heck were we talking about again?

Can I make an amendment to the types of people that should F- off?

TrashyMG said:
Can I make an amendment to the types of people that should F- off?
I think that's fair. :p

A little help here, I'm trying to get my refund right, but I'm having a lil trouble
See I actually spent $372.57 USD according to my bank
11/18/09 -372.57 GOOGLE *OPENPANDORALTD
But I'm only getting refunded $340.XX USD
Could this be due to my TV-out being added later or have the exchange rates really change that drastically?
...I want my 30 bones back :(

ThaDSman said:
A little help here, I'm trying to get my refund right, but I'm having a lil trouble
Could this be due to my TV-out being added later or have the exchange rates really change that drastically?
I'm pretty sure it has to do with the the USD to euro conversion, something similar happened to me once before but it worked in my favor at the time

And now rapidly coming on-line the volcano Katla!:

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/stodvaplott.html (current seismograph)

as it has in all three known Eyjafjallajökull eruptions. And Katla eruptions are 100x as powerful as those of Eyjafjallajökull.

From: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article7070239.ece

"Eyjafjallajokull has blown three times in the past thousand years," Dr McGarvie told The Times, "in 920AD, in 1612 and between 1821 and 1823. Each time it set off Katla." The likelihood of Katla blowing could become clear "in a few weeks or a few months", he said.

Of course, the next question anyone with even the tiniest bit of brain rattling around in their skull (which often doesn't include reporters or their editors as is apparently the case in this instance) should have asked is, "And what was the duration of past Katla eruptions?"

Well, I found the answer here:

http://iceland.vefur.is/iceland_nature/Volcanoes_in_Iceland/katla.htm

and the Katla eruption durations listed varied from 13 to 120 days.

ThaDSman said:

It's currency conversion, and possibly exchange rates. I paid something like 375...but maybe it is related to the tv-out cable, I don't know.

Gruso said:
I paid about $450AUD in 2008. If I was refunded now I'd get about $350AUD back.

Pfft, money. It's all pretend anyway.

This is one of the reasons that really keeps me hanging in there. Cancelling now would not only mean I lose my dream machine but possilbly a good chunk of change for my trouble. Some how, the wait there doesn't seem that bad.

Even at a worst case scenario of 120 days, UPS isnt going to sit on a delivery that long. They'll find an alternate route or team up with another courier to circumvent the issue or risk a huge loss of business.

Prometheus said:
Well, it is 4am... ;)

:eek: O, I didn't know what timezone yall were using, its 10:04 pm here in the US.
Thing is...she hasn't replied all day...Wheres my homie Jaquelyn!?

valhalla said:
ledow said:
Airlines should be insured against such things

Acts of God aren't usually covered by insurance.

As for the economical stability of airlines, we've already heard of a couple of them going bankrupt and stopping all of their planes as soon as they land. Of course it's not a sudden thing, people in the area know that they can expect it, but travelers have been stranded because of this. Such losses may just be the last drop that kills an already shaky airline.

Not that this is going to influence cargo transport, it's more a problem for people.
But it is a volcano causing this. I thought those were from the fires of hell. this means it is SATAN causing this. There is no provision for "acts of beelzebub" so no dice on dodging insurance, pay up!

Yeah, can't the bloody English use a better time zone? :p

It's 1.20pm where I am, it does get confusing trying to figure out what time & date it is everywhere else. At one point I wanted to set up some clocks on my desktop for Europe, China and Canada but that would have been a little too obsessive.

ThaDSman said:
The exchange rates have changed
According to http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/
372.57 US = 249.717 Euros on 11/18/09 and
249.717 Euros = 337.170 US today.

crade said:
ThaDSman said:
The exchange rates have changed
According to http://www.oanda.com...ency/converter/
372.57 US = 249.717 Euros on 11/18/09 and
249.717 Euros = 337.170 US today.

...stupid, weak, American money...
cool converter, does it tell the future too? ;)

Back