Please Make All 10K Cases In One Go

Nation.A.List

This discussion started in the thread about the new case pics but I genuinly feel this needs its own thread.

I have copied over the initial discussions from the other thread.

Nation.A.List said:
I think that they should just go ahead and produce all 10K. We are told that it takes a while to get the machine up to speed and producing the correct quality so stopping it at 1K when its may be running fine seems daft and it would only take a few days more to knock out the extra 9K. Having more than one production run doesn't make good sense, and after all if the first 1000 are no good they will have to be sent back, so you might as well send back 10K.
mindlord said:
^ I agree. Especially since some other order might "take over" the machine and then they have to go through the recalibration bit all over again... and mess it up.
Nation.A.List said:
Good point about the job slot. How pissed off would we feel if the first 1000 cases were pukka and the next slot in the queue was a few weeks down the line!
zounder1 said:
I disagree completely. The first 1000 will be a production run that will establish what is an acceptable product in fit and finish. Once you have that benchmark you can tell the factory that any units not meeting the quality of the first batch will not be accepted and, more importantly, not paid for. Maybe there will be a few tweaks required after the first 1000. Then another batch of 1000 will likely be made. Repeat the process until you hit a final production quality - then that is used as the benchmark going forward.

Cranking out 10,000 without that benchmark is just asking for trouble. So I completely agree with the 1000 run.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 to probably none of those people are actually engineers and know what goes into production runs. You really don't want to risk building 10000 of them just to find out they don't even fit together properly due to some shrinking or some other issues. A test run of 1000 is needed.

(Simply put, I agree with zounder1)

I wonder if they have really paid for all of the cases already, was that ever confirmed? I know they had to do a contract for a minimum of 10,000 cases but that doesn't mean they already paid for them. When my company has a contract for a job it is still only paid for as it ships which is usually 3-4 deliveries (i.e 3-4 invoices which total the contract amount). In fact it would be a bad move imho to pre-pay for something like this. They could just send crap and say "oh well, thats as good as it gets."

OpenPandora LTD may be hoping for the hype of the first 1000 finished and shipped pandoras to create new pre-orders to help pay for more cases. Money problems could also be part of the reason they went without the silk screens and moved the operation to UK. I'm not criticizing, you've got to do what it takes to get the job done, and I'm personally in it for the long haul.

^ The "paid up front" stuff was posted on the German boards.

If you think about those 1k, it makes sense in several ways. If they are not good enough and need rework, they can just tweak those first 1k by hand and send them out, while the mould company may tweak quality of the rest. Piling up all 10k, while they can't assemble them that fast anyway, cause the boards need to be tested and 2nd/3rd batch are still up in the air, wouldn't make more sense than leaving time for tweaking just in case.

yea, I totally agree with that train of thought, I was just questioning the validity of the pre-paid 10k cases and offering money (or lack there of) as a partial reason for the way some things are going down.

Won't 1,000 at a time keep the assemblers busy anyway? Also, a shipment that large might come with an import tax or increased tax if there already is one.

Also there is the problem of the mold company doing runs when they have time, if the OP team put in a request for a really big run the company might put it off and put it off until they have time to do a run that large. In the end wanting a huge run might leave the team twiddling their thumbs waiting for the cases.

second exodous said:
Also there is the problem of the mold company doing runs when they have time, if the OP team put in a request for a really big run the company might put it off and put it off until they have time to do a run that large. In the end wanting a huge run might leave the team twiddling their thumbs waiting for the cases.
Considering the overhead time of setup, I think the factory would want to avoid multiple small runs, and since that's what OP have been asking for so much, if they suddenly asked for the final 9000 they'd probably run it pretty quickly so they can get rid of such an annoying customer. :p

EDIT: This is of course speculation as a completely uninformed punter. :)

MonkeyChops said:
I wonder if they have really paid for all of the cases already, was that ever confirmed?

"Confirmed" in as much as the "rumour" was stated by an OpenPandora team member (ED, I believe).

And yes, some of us were incredulous that they paid the Chinese factory beofore even seeing acceptable quality samples. But there ya go. Whether they've REALLY paid for it would depend on ED's word. I assumed him to be telling the truth, personally, as he doesn't seem as shifty as some other folk.

Back