Eta For End Of Batch 1?

Do pardon me, but are you claiming that there's an "information vacuum" because you feel that that tool is not particularly useful?

There certainly isn't a vacuum - even I know what's up, and I'm not even checking all that eagerly for it. :p

djaychela said:
Prometheus said:
djaychela said:
to being really peed off with the total information vacuum - I don't want to be following people on twitter, etc. But clearly I'm in the minority there.
You don't need to do any of that. This facility has been around for months, and is not a hidden item. ;)
It's not a particularly useful one, either.
I waited 600 days to get my first Pandora. Now I'm waiting on more, at least one backup for myself if my current unit holds out until batch 2 arrives. Recently I've had to lease it out to my girlfriend, she gets more Pandora play than I do. But I stay on top of the news. Really, your griping is humorous at best. If this frustrates you, I suggest Tvland.com to pass the time. Start in the 60s and work forward, you'll get your Pandora and feel like Buck Rodgers!

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Prometheus said:
Do pardon me, but are you claiming that there's an "information vacuum" because you feel that that tool is not particularly useful?

There certainly isn't a vacuum - even I know what's up, and I'm not even checking all that eagerly for it. :p
It's fairly simple, it's been asked for a thousand times. People want two figures - how many units have actually been made and sent to customers, and their place in the queue. I've read all the BS as to how "counting the units produced slows things down", but that's utter bollocks, otherwise you don't know who you've sent one to. Those two simple figures, and all this BS goes away - everyone knows where they stand. As for the "information resource" above, I'm unsure as "It's done. ", "Looks like you found 'em ", "How the heck did you get through the first dungeon (the tower).", is much help with knowing the ETA of something that was paid for 2 years ago, perhaps you can help me decode this strange language? Or could it be that it's just an aggregator of ED and craigx's posts, so therefore isn't that useful?

djaychela said:
It's fairly simple, it's been asked for a thousand times. People want two figures - how many units have actually been made and sent to customers, and their place in the queue.
The former has been answered multiple times in the last two weeks. There will shortly be 900 units out in the wild, once the soon-to-be-built next 200 go out. The latter, well, many people have had estimates, and they've not always proven to be 100% dead-on - it may well be that it's a bit difficult for the two people (Jacquelyn and Debs) who handle the e-mails for Craig's store to provide that information to people.

As for the "information resource" above, I'm unsure as "It's done. ", "Looks like you found 'em ", "How the heck did you get through the first dungeon (the tower).", is much help with knowing the ETA of something that was paid for 2 years ago, perhaps you can help me decode this strange language? Or could it be that it's just an aggregator of ED and craigx's posts, so therefore isn't that useful?
I certainly can. However, you seem to be unaware of what this aggregator actually covers (I'm guessing you don't use it much?), so I'll explain that first: It scrapes not only Craig's and ED's posts, but also the posts of MWeston and mfk (Fatih), as well as all Twitter and YouTube feeds from these folks, and any news posted on both the official and unofficial blogs (I think that's all of it!). I figured that you may want to know this, since you said that you didn't want to follow anyone on Twitter and suchlike. :p It's a very handy tool.

Now, to business. Right now, for example, there's a snippet that says "We're building them, that's what's been happening.", attributed to Craig. Mousing over this reveals that it's from a thread regarding the 200 units that are being made right now, and as I'm sure you can guess, clicking it will take you to that post. You can also rule out irrelevant items this way if they don't interest you. Most things that appear on the scraper are pretty self-explanatory as to whether they're relevant or not even without mousing over them, though.

It's also well worth bearing in mind that the team, like everyone else, also come here to talk about things they find fun, as well as Pandora-related stuff. That their non-Pandora postings get caught up in the fan-made aggregator isn't their fault - it's just a side-effect of scraping their posts. There's no way around it, really.

I don't really get the queue "estimates", if they don't know where you are in the queue, how do they know when to send you your Pandora?

I'm just putting two and two together here, but going on something Craig said in another thread today, units aren't sent singly or daily, but in batches - I'm just guessing, but it probably makes more sense to give a "number-to-number" estimate than a "you are here" one partly for that reason.

EDIT: It was in this thread, just to provide a source for my guessing. :p

emcee said:
I don't really get the queue "estimates", if they don't know where you are in the queue, how do they know when to send you your Pandora?
They know were you are, they have a list. They just don't have the time to count exactly were you are in the queue. So they say a rough estimate like you're in the 450-500, or something like that. But they can also make a mistake so you can't be 100% sure you're in that region. So basicly you're getting youre pandora in a true order, don't worry about it.

I would suspect that it is. But what's a better use of their time? One, or possibly two, people tracking down where in the list each individual order is whenever somebody asks (which I'm going to guess occurs fairly often) and potentially being kept from dealing with other customer service issues, or just giving out rough estimates?

That's the thinking I've applied to it, myself, and it makes sense to me. :p

Prometheus said:
I would suspect that it is. But what's a better use of their time? One, or possibly two, people tracking down where in the list each individual order is whenever somebody asks (which I'm going to guess occurs fairly often) and potentially being kept from dealing with other customer service issues, or just giving out rough estimates?

Would have been cool if an online spreadsheet was created in the beginning with status's etc. ie., shipped with date against an order number etc. Would have saved them much time and LESS time than has allready been spent answering all the (whats my place in the queue?) questions etc. Cant see a problem with privacy with just order numbers open to public etc.

I can see an instant problem with it. "I'm order number [blahblahblah], and I need to cancel/change my address urgently", etcetera... :p

Prometheus said:

But if the list is numbered, why would it be any easier or quicker to look at it and give the customer a rough estimate, than it is to just give them a specific number?

emcee said:
Prometheus said:

But if the list is numbered, why would it be any easier or quicker to look at it and give the customer a rough estimate, than it is to just give them a specific number?

I don't know what kind of list/system they have. I'm just speculating here. Let's say they have a excel spreadsheet with names and adreses in order. And what if 50 people cancel every week. You can't just delete them from the list you need to save them for a while until the money transfer is complete. So maybe you mark them in some way. Sure you can make a list that automaticly sort the cancelled ones out. But if you get 200 email a week asking for a specific order number you don't bother with an exact figure, especially when you know that some will cancel anyway so the numberorder will not be static. You just give an approximate answer, and most people will be fine with that.

Maybe most, but clearly not all. And this would all be a moot point if there was just some sort web-based system for checking your position in the queue. Or better yet an actual list, so customers can see their position in relation to orders that have already been shipped or canceled (other orders could be represented with Xs for privacy reasons).

Would knowing your queue position get you your Pandora any sooner? No, but for those who gave their money nearly two years ago, expecting their Pandora in a few months, it might be helpful to see something resembling a finish line. It might be the difference between canceling and not canceling.

Of course, I'm not speaking for myself here. Up until just over a week ago, I had a Pandora. The LCD cable failed, but I'm not waiting on OPT to repair it and send it back. I'm also not waiting for another cable to be sent to me. I'm actually just waiting for confirmation that I even can order a new cable.

Not being able to answer a simple yes or no question in under a week is a sign of a problem. Either that or I'm just being willfully ignored.

Just curious: Did you send them an e-mail, or did you just send a PM to Craig? If the latter, try the former - Jacquelyn and Debs are pretty speedy.

Prometheus said:
Just curious: Did you send them an e-mail, or did you just send a PM to Craig? If the latter, try the former - Jacquelyn and Debs are pretty speedy.

Both. I sent a PM to Craig on the 14th. Then I sent an email on the 16th. On the 18th I received reply to my email, from Jacquelyn, saying she would talk to Craig. That's the last I've heard.

Back