Elwing said:
TrashyMG said:
Personally I like this approach.

#!/usr/bin/python

from random import *
day = randint(1,355)
day = str(day)
print "The Pandora will ship in %s days." % day

yep, but with randint(1,355) returning any int from 1 to 255 as long as it is 61

python rand.py
The Pandora will ship in 317 days.
[root@Trashyserver ~]# python rand.py
The Pandora will ship in 171 days.
The Pandora will ship in 53 days.
The Pandora will ship in 301 days.
The Pandora will ship in 102 days.
The Pandora will ship in 40 days.
The Pandora will ship in 165 days.
The Pandora will ship in 132 days.

seems to have a larger range than 255..

Last edited by a moderator:
TrashyMG said:
Elwing said:
TrashyMG said:
Personally I like this approach.

#!/usr/bin/python

from random import *
day = randint(1,355)
day = str(day)
print "The Pandora will ship in %s days." % day

yep, but with randint(1,355) returning any int from 1 to 255 as long as it is 61

python rand.py
The Pandora will ship in 317 days.
The Pandora will ship in 171 days.
The Pandora will ship in 53 days.
The Pandora will ship in 301 days.
The Pandora will ship in 102 days.
The Pandora will ship in 40 days.
The Pandora will ship in 165 days.
The Pandora will ship in 132 days.

seems to have a larger range than 255..

hum, yep typo...
should have been:
yep, but with randint(1,355) returning any int from 1 to 355 as long as it is 61

but hopefully the delay does result in all units (PCB's, cases, keymat) being produced more closely - by that I meant is that we should get rest of 2900 odd units, cases should all be made with PCB's coming in (okay all the shit needs to be shipped but at least it will be arriving in UK for assembly).

Yeah the first 1000 will probably get delayed but hopefully for nothing more than 1-2 weeks

ledow said:
Airlines should be insured against such things

Acts of God aren't usually covered by insurance.

As for the economical stability of airlines, we've already heard of a couple of them going bankrupt and stopping all of their planes as soon as they land. Of course it's not a sudden thing, people in the area know that they can expect it, but travelers have been stranded because of this. Such losses may just be the last drop that kills an already shaky airline.

Not that this is going to influence cargo transport, it's more a problem for people.

1adam12 said:
I've already gone on three trips abroad that I intended to have the Pandora for, but didn't. I have another big trip coming up at the end of May, so if we're not shipping by mid-May then I have to be done. I'm sad about it, but I can't wait any more.

Same for me. I am due to fly transatlantic for the fourth time since ordering.
Only thing is, I am due to fly on Monday, and if it's canceled, I'll lose so
much money (cars/accommodation etc) that the price of the pandora will be spare change.

B-ZaR said:
Elwing said:
valhalla said:
ledow said:

then no problem, no god = no discharge...

Did you read the article? "Act of God is a legal term[sup][1][/sup] for events outside of human control, such as sudden floods or other natural disasters, for which no one can be held responsible."

of course, but where do you think the god in that term came from at first? I find quite strange that some country still mix religion with politics and law...

Elwing posted on 19 April 2010 - 07:54 AM said:
of course, but where do you think the god in that term came from at first? I find quite strange that some country still mix religion with politics and law...

Your preaching to the quire.. heh.

Trust me when it comes to real world politics, they seem far from the idea separation of church and state that was taught when I was in school.

valhalla said:
ledow said:

As for the economical stability of airlines, we've already heard of a couple of them going bankrupt and stopping all of their planes as soon as they land. Of course it's not a sudden thing, people in the area know that they can expect it, but travelers have been stranded because of this. Such losses may just be the last drop that kills an already shaky airline.

Not that this is going to influence cargo transport, it's more a problem for people.

IIRC the banks were supposed to be insured too... modern business, especially biug business, is morally bankrupt. Most "under-insure" if only because modern insurance is ALSO a modern business. Can you imagine if insurers insured airlines against "Acts of God" and then went bankrupt because God keeps acting up?

Elwing said:
B-ZaR said:
Elwing said:
valhalla said:
ledow said:

then no problem, no god = no discharge...

Did you read the article? "Act of God is a legal term[sup][1][/sup] for events outside of human control, such as sudden floods or other natural disasters, for which no one can be held responsible."

Me too, but a term is a term. In this case it's even a good one, because for ages all random events that nobody has (allegedly) been responsible for have been accounted as works of a deity. It does not require believing in any such entity to find the term a good analogy. I find the term more historical and cultural than religious.

1adam12 said:
I've already gone on three trips abroad that I intended to have the Pandora for, but didn't. I have another big trip coming up at the end of May, so if we're not shipping by mid-May then I have to be done. I'm sad about it, but I can't wait any more.

You can save the suspense and cancel now. You won't get your Pandora by the end of May.

B-ZaR said:
Me too, but a term is a term. In this case it's even a good one, because for ages all random events that nobody has (allegedly) been responsible for have been accounted as works of a deity. It does not require believing in any such entity to find the term a good analogy. I find the term more historical and cultural than religious.

It's probably very human and nothing religious...If something bad happens, blame it on the first person/being/deity that is either not there or does not object being the reason.

So mankind reasoned: When I said: Paul did it he's beaten me up. When I said god did it I was not struck by lightning which means I must have had a point. Case closed.

Poor god. Theres probably only one person who takes the blame more often for critical mishaps: Murphy.

EvilDragon said:
Well,. while it is not known when the volcano will stop, I'm pretty sure UPS and the other delivery services will find a workaround by delivering via Germany / France to UK in worst case, don't you think?
Or are you really thinking UK isn't getting ANY shipments anymore for the next two years? ;)

First, let UPS handle out this chaos (I guess the Express packages have a higher priority), then let's see when they will tell us when everything will be shipped.
Could mean a week delay in the shipments, but, well, this is no small issue for air traffic and delivery services here.

They can fly it to the Netherlands tommorrow (thats when Schiphol will open) and then take the package by ship/train to England.

TrashyMG said:
wtf is a quire

Monk said:
I think SPECTRE did it :)
bkMXm.jpg

Attachments

• bkMXm.jpg
    bkMXm.jpg
    503 bytes · Views: 114
im enjoying the peace myself, not a plane in the sky here, nice blue sunny skies without the usual plane trails zig zagging through them...

I wonder what causes more problem for our ozone layer - a week of busy flight traffic, or a week of erupting volanic ash?

anyway, i hear that some of the plane companies already plan on getting back to a 50% service asap, perhaps tomorrow at 1, we'll see i guess.

you can be sure it wont be long though, not while these companies are losing x-amount-of-millions each day

atomicthumbs said:
TrashyMG said:
wtf is a quire
A mispelling of choir.
"Preaching to the choir" is a phrase which means that you're trying to convince people that already agree with you (so there's no need to continue to try to convince them)
It literally refers to a preacher in a church giving a sermon to the choir of that church, the belief being that the choir are the most devout of the congregation and therefore the last people that need to be preached at.

WizardStan said:
atomicthumbs said:
TrashyMG said:
wtf is a quire
A mispelling of choir.
"Preaching to the choir" is a phrase which means that you're trying to convince people that already agree with you (so there's no need to continue to try to convince them)
It literally refers to a preacher in a church giving a sermon to the choir of that church, the belief being that the choir are the most devout of the congregation and therefore the last people that need to be preached at.

No it's actually it's a real word.. why my built in spell check didn't go off. Shows how religious I am for not nowing the proper spelling.. And to me Quire is more phonetically correct.

Quire:

–noun
a set of 24 uniform sheets of paper.
Bookbinding . a section of printed leaves in proper sequence after folding; gathering.

also scrolling down from the Dictionary I found I saw this...

quire 2 (kwīr)
n. & v. Archaic
Variant of choir.

Oh and for the spelling / grammar Nazis out there F- off.

TrashyMG said:
Oh and for the spelling / grammar Nazis out there F- off.
ya konw, I hraed a rperot ocne taht the sepillng of ecah wrod colud be cmoleptely off as lnog as the frist and lsat leettrs wree coecrrt and it wolud sitll be 99% udnersantdable.

Back