Release Quake2 Nanogl

Interestingly the Pandora is able to run Quake2 with full antialiasing at 800*480 without much of a hit.

The lower res = same FPS is an odd one, it might be related to vsync, something in the driver, or even a limitation of the FP on the Pandora, we hope to have some answers pretty soon, oh and also Quake3.

'icurafu' said:
I think back then, it was point filtering to make the card run ok. Bilinear and trilinear hardware support was there, just not so fast.

Anyway, I never got the GL version of Quake to run on the Virge because it never had OpenGL support. But I used this with a Citrix 686 200, which was at its knees most of the time.
I had an S3 ViRGE - 4mb graphics RAM on a 166mhz Cyrix processor. Definitely didn't have any form of 3D support though, which is odd - even Wikipedia states that it was a 3D accelerator, but the ViRGEs we worked with under windows had no 3D acceleration at all, just standard 2D.

Unless there was more than one version of the ViRGE, that is :)

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
'lulzfish' said:
"Hey Laurent, you don''t like OC? Enjoy getting ripped off when you buy a new PC!"

Hey, Butterman!
.. Please explain your comment, I didn't quite understand it.

I personally keep my Core 2 Duo at the lowest stock setting, 1 Ghz, because I don't like it to have an unnecessarily high temperature. It's 51 degree celsius now, and I think the fans are on low. At the full 2.16 Ghz, it gets up into the 60s and the fans turn on high and become annoyingly loud.
I'm sorry. 1Ghz?

You're trolling me, aren't you?

No, I honestly didn't understand what you meant by 'getting ripped off when you buy a new PC'

And my Core 2 goes anywhere from 1 to 2.16 GHz, and I usually leave it at 1 GHz because I don't care to have it any higher.

Right now it's on Automatic because my virtual machine is compiling some stuff.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
'craigix' said:
..oh and also Quake3.
It's amazing that nobody seems to have commented on this yet :blink:

Really looking forward to seeing that Craig. Cheers for letting us know that we won't have to wait much longer to see it running :D

Im trying I really am!

Seeing this stuff is great, Pickle. Keep up the good work.

And keep the updates rolling in :)

'Pickle' said:
'Tripmonkey_uk' said:
'craigix' said:
..oh and also Quake3.
It's amazing that nobody seems to have commented on this yet :blink:

Really looking forward to seeing that Craig. Cheers for letting us know that we won't have to wait much longer to see it running :D

Im trying I really am!

I hope your using the cleaned up bug fixed ioquake version of Quake 3 (it's identical to Quake 3, just fixes things ID left in, and removes punkbuster) :p

'Dunny' said:
'icurafu' said:
I think back then, it was point filtering to make the card run ok. Bilinear and trilinear hardware support was there, just not so fast.

Anyway, I never got the GL version of Quake to run on the Virge because it never had OpenGL support. But I used this with a Citrix 686 200, which was at its knees most of the time.
I had an S3 ViRGE - 4mb graphics RAM on a 166mhz Cyrix processor. Definitely didn't have any form of 3D support though, which is odd - even Wikipedia states that it was a 3D accelerator, but the ViRGEs we worked with under windows had no 3D acceleration at all, just standard 2D.

Unless there was more than one version of the ViRGE, that is :)

D.

There were a dozen varients, but they were all the same gpu. S3 milked that one from the highend all the way to the onboard.

Either way, they all had HW acceleration. just not OpenGL, but it was rare to find games with directX support back then. (dx4?) I remember forsaken would turn my PC into a console, and a few other games had support but still ran slow.

Sorry for the offtopic. If there is not difference between resolutions, would there be a difference between 160bit and 32-bit?

'craigix' said:
Interestingly the Pandora is able to run Quake2 with full antialiasing at 800*480 without much of a hit.

The lower res = same FPS is an odd one, it might be related to vsync, something in the driver, or even a limitation of the FP on the Pandora, we hope to have some answers pretty soon, oh and also Quake3.
Sounds like there is no speed increase when running the game in 480x240 Res (and scaling up simply with the built in function of the LCD...)?
I just mention the 480x240 because this still should look OK with some AA maybe, and also should increase FPS, but first, the Quake Games have to run true widescreen (Quake 3 supports custom resolutions so it should be very easy. :) )

Is there any boost when rendering at just 400x240 without using the hardware doubler? That is, actually rendering to just a quarter of the screen? Can you do that?

Looking good.
MSAA can be done in the onchip buffers, so it doesn't suffer the IMR framebuffer reading overhead.

You might be right about the VSYNC, By default eglSwapInterval is set to 1 (one screen update per video update). After a quick glance at the s60 source code (which i presume this based off).... i can see no mention of the swap interval.

Try adding "eglSwapInterval(glDisplay, 0);" after eglMakeCurrent() in the function GL_Init().

'fusion_power' said:
'craigix' said:

Sounds like there is no speed increase when running the game in 480x240 Res (and scaling up simply with the built in function of the LCD...)?
I just mention the 480x240 because this still should look OK with some AA maybe, and also should increase FPS, but first, the Quake Games have to run true widescreen (Quake 3 supports custom resolutions so it should be very easy. :) )

There is no need to render at anything less than 800*480 because it runs fine, we were just hoping to see some silly 100+ frame rates at lower resolutions.

All the quakes support wide screen, so they all run at 800*480.

That's weird, I always figured it would go really high. Can the game not run faster?

'Username' said:
That's weird, I always figured it would go really high. Can the game not run faster?
The fillrate doesn't seem to be much of a bottleneck on resolutions this low (800x480 could be considered low for the SGX hardware :) ) It's like you don't gain much fps on lowering your desktop PC's resolution from 1024 x 768 to something like 800 x 600 or even 640 x 480.

This is a very GOOD thing, meaning we can use that extra fillrate for something else :) (cough shaders! cough)

terrific results :) congratulations
it must be superb to play quake2 on 800x480 with antialising :p

but one question has come to mind right now: couldn't you clock higher than 750mhz? (no intent to cause a mess here, only asking)

'.Gogeta§§J4BR.' said:
terrific results :) congratulations
it must be superb to play quake2 on 800x480 with antialising :p

but one question has come to mind right now: couldn't you clock higher than 750mhz? (no intent to cause a mess here, only asking)
We haven't had voltage scaling in the kernel since the days of using an old TI kernel on the rev1 board. It's complicated but it has something to do with some things being broken in .28 that work in .27 and so the guys still use .27 for now so certain features still aren't there.

Basically, the core is at 1.2V which is what TI recommends for 500MHz. Anything above that is gravy. :)

Emulators run at up to 800MHz and I guess Quake2 only works up to 750MHz. (*)

(*) Subject to change at a moments notice on any further batches of processors! :p

'MWeston' said:
Emulators run at up to 800MHz and I guess Quake2 only works up to 750MHz. (*)
(*) Subject to change at a moments notice on any further batches of processors! :p

And I guess programs that will make use of the DSP will overclock even less, no?

'Laurent' said:
And I guess programs that will make use of the DSP will overclock even less, no?
Without any actual experience using the DSP core, I can only ask why it would. The DSP core is separate from the ARM core. Why would it matter? Using NEON could affect overclocking. I can see how that makes sense but not with DSP. As long as the bridge between the ARM and DSP is divided down to a normal clock speed I would speculate that each one doesn't really care what the other is doing.

Again, I can only make guesses as the DSP is uncharted territory on Pandora (as far as I know no one has looked at it yet). I don't think it gets much use yet on Beagle does it?

Back