Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
:D 800x480 with sound 689 frames, 21.6 seconds: 31.9 fps

Video : CODE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HysmLjxGXP4

Last edited by a moderator:
ah someone's up :)
running at normal clocks, which I think is 500 Mhz and 55 mhz for the cortex. So it can run faster.

Video is uploading as we speak. It contains the demo benchmark and the a most of the 2 demos in normal speed. The video is ok, but seeing it on the real thing is nice. The 800x480 is amazing.

Awesome, it's up!
CODE

Now I just need to get DJWillis or Notaz to help me poke that register to get the SGX clock back up to 110MHz!

Nice work!!!

Are you going to try Quake 1 too? How ambitious is Quake 3? :D

Sensational considering it's at 55mhz and 800*480!

Out of curiosity I wonder how fast it would go at 320*240? ... With 110Mhz! :D

Looks like the 800*480 is going to work really well for 3D, I guess it looks really sharp running at that res?

Ah Quake, we need more we need more we need more!

'craigix' said:
Sensational considering it's at 55mhz and 800*480!

Out of curiosity I wonder how fast it would go at 320*240? ... With 110Mhz! :D

Looks like the 800*480 is going to work really well for 3D, I guess it looks really sharp running at that res?

Ah Quake, we need more we need more we need more!
Sorry, but I'm not impressed at all. 30fps are the minimum for first person shooter and the demo itself shows some little hang-up. If Q2 runs @30fps, do you all think Q3 will be actually playable at that resolution??
Is the CPU clock affecting fps that much? I though that GPU is the most important thing for videogames...

Since this is the first test with no tweaking at all, going via nanoGL, that speed at 55mhz at 800*480 is superb. It will get much faster.

'Gruso' said:
That 55mhz -is- the GPU clock. It's running at half speed. ;-)
'craigix' said:
Since this is the first test with no tweaking at all, going via nanoGL, that speed at 55mhz at 800*480 is superb. It will get much faster.
Cool stuff, thanks for the info!
Q2 up and running means having a huge amount of awsome mods to play with! :D

if Q engine will be ported directly to GL ES, can this be more fast (like 2FPS more or 20fps)?

To run Q3 at really good speed to be playable, we need not less than 60fps.

Well if nanoGL is translating everything from OpenGL to OGLES, then there will probably be a large speed increase when it's ported to straight OGLES. I will guess, with no evidence to back myself up, that it will get up to 50 or 60 fps once the translation overhead is out of there.

I have seen Q3 (320x240 medium texture size) on Nokia N95 (OMAP 420 at 333MHz with Power VR MBX) and it run quite nicely.

CODE
http://fr.truveo.com/Quake-3-Arena-N95-8GB-HQ-Video/id/292231011

I'm sure you will get to see Q1 and Q3 in the coming days together with various tweaks, resolutions and GPU speeds.

Just to explain to people about the resolutions, we are maxing it at 800*480, but you could get far far faster speeds right now at say 480*240 (the PSP res) and it may well look almost the same on the LCD to an untrained eye.

But as Exophase said, it's always best to start at the top and optimise, not compromise.

'Pickle' said:
:D 800x480 with sound 689 frames, 21.6 seconds: 31.9 fps

Video : CODE
Damn. This is awesome. I didn't thought it will be that fast at 55MHz. B)

Please do a re-test when you'll have SGX clocked at 110MHz. I wonder how does it scale... :)

'craigix' said:
I'm sure you will get to see Q1 and Q3 in the coming days together with various tweaks, resolutions and GPU speeds.

Just to explain to people about the resolutions, we are maxing it at 800*480, but you could get far far faster speeds right now at say 480*240 (the PSP res) and it may well look almost the same on the LCD to an untrained eye.

But as Exophase said, it's always best to start at the top and optimise, not compromise.
That sounds all good and everything, but the Quake 3 HUD and UI were designed for a minimum resolution of 640 x 480. So text will become unreadable when you want to change settings or controls, or look at the scoreboard or text chat with a lower resolution :p

The HUD can remain in the higher res. We can use high and low res on the same screen, it's just doubling up for the lores rendering.

However we might get slightly faster FPS again if we did actually use the LCDs lower res mode.

These are things we will try out and report back on.

hmm, im actually surprised some of you guys found reasons to moan.
You know ive only had the board 2 days and im was trying to get things running. Again this is a the base clocks. Im not even using neon yet which should help with fp.

craig: I got the pm, mweston actually have me the details on the sgx clock change. I think we need to hear from notaz, according to mweston the pandora version of this command is named differently and its not included in any of DJWillis's images.

I will try to get something going with quake 1. I think i might start fresh with the original quake sources.

Keep posted I will try to get more benchmarks today.

Back