Release Quake2 Nanogl

Awesome work Pickle! Just having the Q3 engine on Pandora is cool, I know a lot of mods would require a recompile to work on Pandora, but it also means we could make new Pandora only mods :)

I'm sure more than myself and MDave have played with the Q3 engine in the past. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
yodaofborg said:
Awesome work Pickle! Just having the Q3 engine on Pandora is cool, I know a lot of mods would require a recompile to work on Pandora, but it also means we could make new Pandora only mods :)

I'm sure more than myself and MDave have played with the Q3 engine in the past. :)
Thanks!
Dont forget cpasjuste too, he kind of took off and ran with quake3, I think its better because of it.

I made a video of q2 last night with some fmv and game play in the first 2 levels. It should have been up by now, by it errored out during the transfer.

'Pickle' said:
Since q2 is playable, im contemplating making another video that isnt a demo. Would anyone be very interested to see something like that or was the demo video enough?

Welcome to the Internet - where "enough" is NEVER enough... ;)

It's seem Pickle had some time to do a vid of Q2. There's only some problem with X bumping on the screen
CODE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F34GxKdIE6s&feature=channel_page

Thank you for this vid Pickle

Now I want my Pandora more than ever. I need Quake in my pocket now.
Will analog nub support be added when you get your Pandora, Pickle? Thanks for the video! :)

That was rockin'. Runs so smooth! Was that at full resolution?

'DasFool' said:
That was rockin'. Runs so smooth! Was that at full resolution?
Do you think Pickle would settle for anything else? :D Yep, running at full 800x480. It's going to look brilliant.

It's not good for me too watch all these new videos showing what the Pandora can do... I soon can't take this anymore... I want it. I want it now!

Thanks Pickle for the video!

Well there is some nub support already but its not that great, I have some nubs in the mail so im hoping to get that resolved.

Its full resolution, sorry for the X flickering, it coming from the console when i hit keys. Any motion blur is also from the camera.

This got me thinking of Half Life, IIRC it's based on the Q2 engine. Would a port be possible and would it be legal?

Hmm, I wonder if I should dig up Half Life Generations from my basement...

Oh hell yes, that's looking great. Good job.

Half Life is based on Quake 2 in the same way that a Ferrari is based on a go-kart. They've both got similar basic parts, but the former is way more advanced. Ok, so that analogy is a huge exageration, but still, the point is that to get Half Life, you need to start with the Quake 2 source and add, remove, and rebuild a lot of it. While Quake 2 might have gone open source, the things that Valve changed to get to Half Life have not been made open source, and likely aren't ever to be.

Pickle, when you get those nubs in, I would REALLY like to see a video of you using them. Thanks for the update with the mouse and keyboard. When I first saw the mouse compared to the screen, I was like..."Why does the screen look so small."

I keep forgetting the Pandora is the size of a DS lite

'WizardStan' said:
Half Life is based on Quake 2 in the same way that a Ferrari is based on a go-kart.
If you're going to use a car analogy, you might as well keep it engine-based. Half life (and many other games) use the quake 2 engine, and the engine has been open sourced. However, just like with cars, an engine by itself doesn't go anywhere. You need all the other parts that make up a car to drive to the store, and you need all the other (closed source) parts that make up Half Life to play the game.

So no, there will be no Half-Life on the Pandora unless Valve ports it themselves.

Back