Pyra christmas update :)

I am still failing to see the point for a dock. what would be the adavntages? a dock for a cripled phone makes sense but I think the pyra already has all that one would need.

I would love to have a docking station with the Pyra one day. Being able to just come home, plug it in and have all my work ready on a bigger monitor with keyboard and mouse ready. Maybe add more out-put options and more USB's. It would be sweet.

I intend to have the Pyra as my primary, perhaps only PC, which I carry with me. So I will end up most likely to have it attached/detached once a day. So dock is essential.
All you would need to do is plug in a USB hub (or nothing if using wireless/bt keyboard and mouse), and HDMI and you're ready to rock. I don't think I would miss one...

Plus a dock would likely require an additional custom port on the Pyra to merge power/USB/HDMI in one that's easily pluggable... Wouldn't it?

Although a dock with extra cooling and software triggered overclocking might have been neat.

All you would need to do is plug in a USB hub (or nothing if using wireless/bt keyboard and mouse), and HDMI and you're ready to rock. I don't think I would miss one...
My guess is that the dock would need 2 male connectors plugged at once: USB (Power, HUB [, SATA]) and HDMI.
Although a dock with extra cooling and software triggered overclocking might have been neat.
Afaik, the 1.5GHz is the maximum (regardless of voltage), so you could only switch/disable the power governor (to reduce "lag" on load-switching) and keep it cool to ensure the CPU won't throttle - no idea if it will overheat (at 100%, with NEON and/or GLES).

1.5 GHz is the fastest on spec. Some units may clock higher, especially if extra cooling is provided, as the rated clock frequency is over a wide range of operating conditions.

you already id ;-)
-power
-audio
-the integrated eSATA adaptor (at least I wouldn't want to root that through another USB hub)
Plus a dock would likely require an additional custom port on the Pyra to merge power/USB/HDMI in one that's easily pluggable... Wouldn't it?
Why would I do that, if I could plug them all in a dock?

you already id ;-)
-power
-audio
-the integrated eSATA adaptor (at least I wouldn't want to root that through another USB hub)
I'd route audio through USB or HDMI.

Why would I do that, if I could plug them all in a dock?
I guess he means something like the DELL docking stations which use an additional connector at the bottom instead of the back-side connectors. It has additional ports on it (like SATA for CD drive).

I intend to have the Pyra as my primary, perhaps only PC, which I carry with me. So I will end up most likely to have it attached/detached once a day. So dock is essential.

I understand the desire for a single system, usually because setting up syncing and replication is a pain.
But at what point are you better off with a raspberry pi, or a second pyra that you just transfer your sd cards, or set up something like fssync. If you go with software syncing, you could save some of your ports some wear and tear.

I really like the Dell or Lenovo docks, but they tend to break after a few years of regular use.

Last edited:
How am I better off with that? I have to limit myself to microSD (because that's what the raspi has) and have to fiddle around with adaptors to get the swap done, I have to update another system, the raspi is horrible when attaching a lot of cables (sticking out in literally in all directions)., no sata for extrnal storage. OK there is a ethernet RJ45 port on the raspi (but that is an USB to etehrnet any way IIRC, so that could be in the pyra dock too).
So I still don't see an advantage to a pyra dock.

I want the dock so I don't have to reconnect and disconnect my setup at work or at home for the Pyra. Its very convenient and doesn't waste time and when you organize cables well, keeps everything out of the way and out of sight. A dock would be a nice thing to have.

I want a dock with some additional processing power so when I dock my Pyra, I can double the power of the Pyra similar to the new Alienware laptop with an external desktop gpu box or something like that ... This way, more incentive for me to use the dock at home.

.... or you transfer the data using w-lan, USB zero modem kables,....

I will never understand how people can see a product or service they don't want and instead of just ignoring it they have to argue why it shouldn't exist.

Back