Pyra christmas update :)

Hi all :)

First things first, Merry Christmas to all community members !

@EvilDragon : would you have any more details regarding the future docking station ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

Thanks for the Update, seems like February /March will be pretty Expensive 2Months whit DragonBox Pyra and Nintendo Switch..
I think I could wait until my Number 28 is ready
The first few Months of the Year are allways the shortest..

happy xmess everyone from me too!

thanks for the update, so pyra will be ready for my birthday (date is confidential for privacy reasons, of course ;) ), yay!
also special thanks to juliano for checking the updated cpu-pcb!!!
so ed, hns and all at gc, thanks again for the hard work and have some good food and rest now, you really deserve it!

cheers!

And I'm planning to create a basic mainboard without keyboard or nubs.
Talking about multi-layer and design-times, wouldn't it be easier to just not populate the parts that are not required?
Just a very simple board where you plug in a CPU board and have USB, SATA, HDMI etc. connections so you can use it as a miniature PC (like the Raspberry Pi).
Sounds awesome. Do you have any ideas about pricing? The main reason for rpi's success (over industrial SBCs) is the price.

Wow, a PCB without keyboard and nubs. Pyra Phone...

EDIT: Oh, happy xmas :p.

Last edited:
Is this correct?

1st week of January: Design of PCB is done and prototype run will be initiated:
3rd week of February: Prototype PCB's will be done and Main PCB's for mass production will be done, as well as the cases and keymats. After test and everything works (fingers crossed) the order will be placed for the mass production CPU PCB
4th week of March or 1st week of April: Mass production of the CPU PCB will be done, assembly can begin
2nd week of April: People start receiving their units
As I read those 'this done with this lead time' statements to mean it'll take at least that long, and any complications will start to push some of those dates back. But at the moment the only known unsolved issue is on the CPU board, and I think I recall ED saying the prototype orders may well go out with glitchy CPU boards to begin with, so it may not block those going out at least.

I was slightly surprised that ED said he'd ship units to paid prototype pre-orderers before helpful devs that might be more use in finding and solving issues like the current CPU board glitch. But I guess it's probably more important to complete outstanding fully paid contracts, than sending out free units.

I'm also keen on the idea of a SBC (or more accurately a two-board computer) build of the Pyra. The mainboard can probably be made a little smaller without having to have a full set of keyboard contacts on it, and I guess that build can probably forego the cellular chip, but maybe an actual ethernet port would be more suited to that build (alongside built-in wifi). Once people start to see the work done by the Pyra devs and community, more people might want in to the project like they did with the Pandora late in the day, and if that can be an even cheaper way in it might be a popular option.

I was slightly surprised that ED said he'd ship units to paid prototype pre-orderers before helpful devs that might be more use in finding and solving issues like the current CPU board glitch. But I guess it's probably more important to complete outstanding fully paid contracts, than sending out free units.

30 prototypes are enough for both (otherwise we wouldn't even have some left to auction ;)) and there's nothing the devs can do regarding the CPU board, as it's not a software issue.

Merry Christmas everyone !

Thank you for the great update and all your hard work, ED :D

Classics take time and no need to rush the Pyra in 2017

Steady tortoise wins the race :happy:

Wow, a PCB without keyboard and nubs. Pyra Phone...

EDIT: Oh, happy xmas :p.
Same to all!

ED is referring to a SBC (OMAP5EVM/IGEP5/BeagleBoard/Bone/RasPi/...) format
where you connect a keyboard and mouse through USB and a monitor through HDMI.

But a Pyra Phone could be interesting. And doable by reusing most components
(e.g. display+touch module, CPU board(s), connectors, software, but not the battery)
of the Pyra by designing a different main board.

What would be expectations for such a device?

Thanks your news. I guess we will soon get our Pyra.
It's hard made them out and send them to us.
[doublepost=1482738488,1482738036][/doublepost]My personally want to a docking station than a basic mainboard. Because I don't like two PC, it make things complex.
I just need one Pyra go out or plug in it with a docking station at home.

(e.g. display+touch module, CPU board(s), connectors, software, but not the battery)

For me the Pyra would be more useful than a Pyra Phone, and it would be all I need when away from a proper computer if calling and texting worked well. The main benefit for me with the Pyra is the keyboard.

If I was willing to give up the keyboard, and trying to guesswhat others might want I come up with two devices.

The first is a gaming phone, with physical dpad and face buttons, and possibly shoulder buttons. For traditional portable gamers and retro gamers this might be interesting, but not sure how many would actually buy it (may depend on price).

The second is more like a typical smartphone. Linux will be a boost here for those of us that are into that. I don't know which touchscreen would be better (are we looking at people coming from the major manufacturers, or people interested in Linux and this hardware for what it is?), as it would be the main method of input.

For both of these we know they will be thicker than flagships from Samsung and others. I don't see any reason to try to pretend to compete with them, so I am interested in what others have to say about this. If there is real interest maybe we should make a dedicated thread.

All day battery life, with some web browsing and calls, is important to me. It would be nice if I could stay connected to irc at all times with it, however I don't think that is really practical yet, especially since there is no keyboard. I prefer the gaming version, although I doubt I would get to play many games if I had it. A single external speaker should be fine if we can use a headset (wired for me, although Bluetooth is probably wanted by many). A camera is often expected on mobile phones now, so one or two of those should be considered. The other sensors, like a gyro and such, probably need to be included. Switches to physically cut power to certain things (wifi, 4G, etc.) might be valuable to some of us.

I know you didn't ask this, but I would be most interested in a phone handset or tablet as a new home for old CPU boards if we ever get new ones. I have a handful of things that would be nice (e-ink screen), however I don't want to get too far out there.

Three words: Fairphone, Yotaphone, Replicant.
/Id est/ ethical, modular, easy to repair, dual-screen e-ink && truly libre secure system.

Let's be realist, let's ask for the impossible.
Bring us everything the other brands refuse us.

It's Xmas, I'm allowing myself to dream. Feel free to join the party. ;=)
Santa *does* exist and will bring us everything we asked for since we've all been very nice and kind
(well except maybe for some threads about keyboard mapping or licenses ...).

The Pyra's conception is already impressive on modularity.
(BTW, what about sending a prototype to IFixit to get 10/10 ?
It could certainly bring some eyes on the Pyra.)

The ethic is better than the Pandora (case made in Greece ...)
but I guess low quantities supply chains makes it hard to do even better.
Never seen any piece of information about conflict-free minerals within Pyra hardware.
Wasn't a main goal anyway.

Replicant is being ported to GTA04, it will be a perfect fit with the Neo900.
But I can barely imagine the amount of work|time to port it to the Pyra hardware.
(Ow ... Didn't I forgot to mention security by strong modem isolation ? My bad.)

Today's mobile devices biggest issue is autonomy.
E-ink low power can definitely be of some help here.
(I really hope to see some e-ink mods for the Pyra come to life).

Offering choice between several types of screens,
on a dual screen capable bare frame would be a great idea.
Project Ara seeming to be on hold for the moment ...
Some will of course want a camera module ...

I never thought about the Pyra as an ubiquitous hardware platform.
I believe Gumstix allow that kind of adaptive capacities
but not with end user finished products to my knowledge.

So I'm just throwing crazy ideas on the board.

supertramp-dreamer-am-13_42%.jpg

Let's sort out what is worth being done from what would be too big a work.

5511097-origpic-3e1861.jpg_0_0_100_100_300_307_75.jpg

Same to all!

ED is referring to a SBC (OMAP5EVM/IGEP5/BeagleBoard/Bone/RasPi/...) format
where you connect a keyboard and mouse through USB and a monitor through HDMI.

Yeah, I understood the SBC format, that's whty I said something about a "fat" design :p.

Why not battery? Yes, maybe it is a little big but in case there's no other available, Is not possible to use it?

For me, having a real "free" phone is fundamental: I am very (VERY) tired about the non-privacy we have with devices and (worst) software on mobile phones. First of all, as you know, you NEED to have an email attached to your store account. The only useful thing with that if to have a "memorandum" of what software you had and, in case of format that's very useful but that's the only good thing you have. The rest of stuff (you web history, your conversations, your localitation...) is, from my point of view, a violation of your choice freedom. Yes, nowadays the software will ask you if you want to share your localitation and that stuff (only in some cases, of course) but sometimes if you decided to not to share, you can't use the application.

From the hardware "design" I think that maybe it's a good idea not only make it thiner if it is possible (and what I am going about to say is a little less realistic) but change some connectors for it mini/micro version in order to win more space.

About the design, I would happy with something near to nowadays mobile phone design. The Pyra screen is "ugly" or maybe is more correct to call it "outdated", but something similar to Nokia Lumia would be perfect from my point of view.

Why not battery? Yes, maybe it is a little big but in case there's no other available, Is not possible to use it?
Probably because it would break the "brick" form factor (you can't grab AND use it with one hand, if it's too thick).
For me, having a real "free" phone is fundamental: I am very (VERY) tired about the non-privacy we have with devices and (worst) software on mobile phones.
That's why I'd love to use the pyra as a phone-replacement (probably with a (wireless) headset).
change some connectors for it mini/micro version in order to win more space.
Obviously, these connectors make no sense for a phone, but they do not matter for size. Battery + 2x Plastic + Modem/Antenna/SIM + Board + Buttons/... is the lower-part thickness. Full-size USB seem to be "outside" of the battery area, full-size SD is thinner than the modem.

EDIT: Modern phones have thin batteries, missing/cut-out plastic (between battery and PCB; for thicker components) and the display where the pyra's buttons are.

Last edited:
My plan was originally to use my Pyra as a Phone, and as Musik Device (and as Pandora whit lot more power)
But during the Waitingtime I bought an IPhone 6s which is now my Phone and my Musikdevice ..
So the Pyra will be my Pandora successor whit lots of horse power.. but I can use it also as phone ..

Back