PSX CYCLE 4.0
PSX CLOCK 100%
Real FPS on screen: 24
Real FPS [ on my eye :D ]: 8

Almost playable.

Fighting Force -> Freezing / not work [ on epsxe worx ]
Die Hard Trilogy -> Freezing / not work [ on epsxe worx ]
Moto Racer -> Freezing / not work [ on epsxe worx ]

BTW. i dont see hlide in credits in this psx4all edition, is he workin on this project ?

Should I have RAM fixes enabled on default?
I tried ff7 with those settings, 60fps yes according to counter, feels more like 13 tho, and turning off sound during game results on sound being frozen, creeped me out when i turned it off during the battle loading sequence.

Aladdin : Nasiras Revenge -> Freezing / Not work

Strange , all games i tested with this new build freezes when its trying to use GTE [ 3D games ]

Aladdin / Die hard trilogy / Moto Racer / Fighting Force -> all freezes on jump from 2d [ loading screen ] to 3d [ main game ]

BTW. im using your last test 3 build...

Suikoden -> works on a standard config [ 250 / ON / PSX CYCLE:3.0 / PSX CLK:90% ] with 29 fps [ real, on screen ] / 15 fps [ real, on my eye :D ]

Hey ZodTTD, i think there's some problem with GTE emulation because, in next few games [ baby felix / bogey dead 6 / ] emu stops or freezes right before jump in 3D view.

Also theres some problems with some 2D games [ the screen refreshing routine [?] has got strange behavior, and sometimes refresh correctly sometimes not. for example in game do don patchi screens is turning to black for some time ]

I think previous versions of psx4gp2x plays games a slightly better [ in compatibility meaning ]

Hmm! I thought I fixed that bug, I will double check this. Thanks for the testing StreaK.

It could be due to that extra register usage I added. It could be related to the GTE in this case.

If you notice black-screens, its due to the frameskip or PSX CYCLE setting not being 1.0 and PSX CLOCK not being 100 (the actual timing settings). Quick fix is to change to those settings or turn off frameskip (set to 0/1).

Just tried with Tales of phantasia with the translation patch applied, all i get is a white/grey screen & my GP2X locks up terribly, anyone else wanna try?

StreaK: Did any of these games crashing in Test 3, work in previous Test build?

You know, maybe something implement into the next version would be a settings import for games where people can take the settings that they found best for emulator and export them so we could load them onto our gp2x in order to get the best performance with out the need for trial and error, or maybe just a wikipedia entry with the best settings for each individual game. Just a thought. I'd be willing to work and contribute to this area if people were interested enough.

Have you guys tried Blast Radius? Quite playable at default settings, and with cycle/clock tweaking I'm sure it'd be incredible!

Nice work Zodttd!

I set my GP2X clock to 280, and turned off sound, and the real frame rate in Crash Bandicoot 2 was 25-28 fps. It was pretty cool.

The game did end up crashing eventually.

Where are the PSX Cycle and Clock settings that people are talking about? I figure they'd help.

zodttd said:
StreaK: Did any of these games crashing in Test 3, work in previous Test build?
No. I checked only 2 games on previous build [ DHT / Moto Racer ] and also hangs. Soon i'll check more

But ths thing is very strange 'coz, for instance "klonoa door to phantomie" and "Bushido Blade 2" works on Test 3 AND also Using GTE to show 3D graphics. So maybe its a small bug in some procedure in GTE that is usable only in those games -> Aladdin / Die hard trilogy / Moto Racer / Fighting Force -

What you think ?

Last edited by a moderator:
novaslogic said:
You know, maybe something implement into the next version would be a settings import for games where people can take the settings that they found best for emulator and export them so we could load them onto our gp2x in order to get the best performance with out the need for trial and error, or maybe just a wikipedia entry with the best settings for each individual game. Just a thought. I'd be willing to work and contribute to this area if people were interested enough.

I guess command line parameters would be a good idea for this and a script that pulls them from a 'community database file' - of course these values may be dependant on what overclock you can manage(?).
Anyway, defintiely a good idea for the future - don't think zodttd would want to invest time in this (yet).

Last edited by a moderator:
Some more tests... (all tests done at 280Mhz, ram tweaks on, no sound, no interlace)

Batman Foverver : (PSX Clock 100% Cycle 1.1) Game runs for a small amount of time, you can get ingame, if PSX Cycle is set any higher than 1.01 the screen flickers on and off. After about 1 minute into the game, it hard locks the GP2X. Frame skip makes all menus flash.

Crash Bandicoot 2 : (PSX Clock 50% Cycle 1.1) Game runs at about 5/6FPS, increasing Cycle again makes the GFX flash on and off, but does seem to boost speed a little, increasing frame skip gets a v rate of 35FPS, but the game still seems to run 5/6FPS, lowering the PSX clock below 50% also caused graphical errors. Too slow to be considered playable, and crashes not long after launching.

Final Fantasy 1 : (PSX CLock 100% Cycle 4.0) Game runs OK, albeit a little slow (40/50FPS, should be 60FPS IIRC) frame skipping does not work for this title, so needs to be disabled, might benefit from lower PSX clock speed during fights, but ran OK at defaults to be playable.

Finger Flashing : (PSX Clock 100% Cycle 4.0) Never played this game before, so I have no clue what I'm supposed to do. It does run, but it is slower than full speed IMHO (30FPS) - frame skip does work with this title also, so maybe this game could be made full speed with more tweaking. Lowering PSX CPU and Cycle did not seem to make any difference until PSX CPU 20%, at which point the game hard locked the emulator.

GTA 1 : (PSX Clock 100% Cycle 2.1) Game runs too slow, some might be able to tolerate its slowness and call it playable - I guess you can play it - but personally it would need a little more speed to be OK. Saying this, emulation seems to be at least accurate. Lowering the PSX CPU gives some strange results, including *warping* the characters around the screen. Frame skip works with this title, so with more polish, could become playable.

Gundam : (PSX Clock 40% Cycle 2.1) Game runs OK, not sure about full speed, but is playable. Frame skip seems to work OK with this title, and emulation is also accurate. Lowering PSX CPU gave biggest boost to frame rate, so this one does not make much use of the PSX's CPU. Pity this game sucks just a bit :) as it also has the potential to be full speed.

Ridge Racer : (PSX Clock 40% Cycle 9.0) Frame skip breaks the Galaga loading game, making it look like the game is not loading (took me a few tries with differing cycles to spot this) once ingame, frame skip can be enabled. The frame rate counter reads over 90FPS! But this is obviously wrong, looks more like 5 to 6 FPS to the eye. Pushing the Cycle count up seemed to give an extra 1 or 2 FPS, but the game, although accurate, is way too slow to be playable.

Ridge Racer Revolution : (PSX Clock 40% Cycle 9.0) Same as above, even down to the Galaga game being broken :)

Side by side : (PSX Clock 100% Cycle 4.0) Game ran quite fast! Not quite full speed, but a lot faster than Ridge Racer. Almost playable (but not quite)! Frame skip seemed to also work for this game. Pausing the game froze the emulator, but apart from this, emulation seemed accurate. More tweaking could get higher frame rate, but changing CPU and Cycle once the game has loaded freezes the emulator, making finding good settings hard.

Tony Hawks Pro Skater : (PSX Clock 100% Cycle 1.1) Frame skip does not work for this title, and it runs very slow. FPS counter reports 20FPS ingame, but it looks more like 5FPS. Lowering PSX CPU slowed down the game, I doubt this game will ever be playable.

More to come next time I am bored ;)

Using T3 executable.
Tried Diablo again, seemed a touch faster however when I entered a dungeon I was starting to get some funky drawing happening, like random lines being drawn on top of everything. Shortly afterwards it crashed.

Little Big Adventure still crashes after the intro movie. :(

Tried Final Fantasy 7
240 :( with RAM tweaks
1.1 cycle
10% clock

I think enabling sound mucks up the speed, it was going damn slow when i tried it with sound and now it's actually running fine...
Walking around seems fine
Battles seem quite slow, despite the 115 VS and FPS its reporting... Real is 8.9.

and it just crashed after winning on 1st battle...

FF7 doesn't crash for me, though 10% clock may be too low, should try 20%. The 115VS explains that. It could also cause crashing by being so low. Battles are fine for me as well.

New version coming soon. Not sure how much better it will be. :p

Back