Psx4gp2x Dynarec Status Update

mth411 said:
Emulazone: Also, how bout you work on some gp2x game, you don't need to code (there are simple games engines like fenix)... Rather than suggest someone stop what they are working on and do something for you.
You assume that I want them to work on something for ME? I just wanted to know if the people pursuing this were actually pursuing it to get a good emulator out of it. I'm new to the whole "GP2X" scene and so I naturally have questions about projects like this. So it's a test of personal skill on the part of zod, fine then. Just wanted to get some clarification on it. :p

You guys fly off the handle too easily, a bit clicky if you ask me. :eek:

nubie said:
Alex. said:
emulazione88 said:
Honestly, what can we expect AT BEST from a PSX emulator on the GP2X? I hear different stories left, right and centre and sometimes I wonder if perhaps the time of the PSX emu developers could be better spent on something that has more potential for full speed emulation. Don't get me wrong, it's very exciting watching things progress but I wonder if it's all for nothing.
Ooh, another bossman! :rolleyes:

Define "worth nothing", it is to test zod's personal skill.

If you want full handheld PSX emulation, get a PSP with a bad optical drive and load PSX games through the memory card slot.

...never said I wanted full PSX handheld emulation, just wanted to know if that was what you guys were gunning for, and whether you thought it was actually possible with this 3D acceleratorless machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if you think we "fly off the handle"... The problem is that we are defensive of the devs since we would like them to keep devving!
There are a lot of people that newly join the forum and then post something like "Gyah... hurry up and update emulator X already!!! I will die if I don't get an update now! Get back to work slacker! You don't have time to have a life! Your ass is mine now boi!" ... ok so I got a bit carried away, and their grammar is normally about ten times worse than that, but you get the idea...
But yeah there was a thread where Zod and U-nai said basically a "playable" emulator could be possible. You should be able to bring it up with a search. The last version I tried seemed to be running at half speed on FF7.

PokeParadox said:
But yeah there was a thread where Zod and U-nai said basically a "playable" emulator could be possible. You should be able to bring it up with a search. The last version I tried seemed to be running at half speed on FF7.
I think if a developer does not believe in its own product he would stop it. Obvious it is more difficould as expected but there are proceedings in every new release. At time we have a nearly error-free psx-emu working on some games at decent speed (ff9 is really nice to see on gp2x!!). half speed, full speed :blink: never mind as long it´s playable!
Most reported bugs have been fixed in the same month, sometimes in the same week, zodttd and co update this emu more frequent than Microsoft Windows. This is homebrew, who expect more?? ;) . In my opinion every additional game running on the gp2x is an enrichment. This emu offers some playable psx-games to the community by now.
Not bad for a tech demo. :D

PokeParadox said:
Sorry if you think we "fly off the handle"... The problem is that we are defensive of the devs since we would like them to keep devving!
There are a lot of people that newly join the forum and then post something like "Gyah... hurry up and update emulator X already!!! I will die if I don't get an update now! Get back to work slacker! You don't have time to have a life! Your ass is mine now boi!" ... ok so I got a bit carried away, and their grammar is normally about ten times worse than that, but you get the idea...
Yeah I can totally understand that, the PSP community is evidence enough of the idiots that lurk about the place >_>.

I ain't like that at all, don't worry. :)

@psx4alldevs

after extensive testing with psx demos (i prefer them because the content is static ie same everytime)

i think i found a bottleneck. 2d and 3d routines pretty much gives same performance for me but it,s when gourad shaded scenes comes into play, that the framedrops occurs for me

i listed on paper effects that is visible when scens in demos are rendered and the framerate and for me it seems that it,s the gourad shading who causes the framedrops
(maybe someone who tests games can try to see if im on to something here)

i wrote down effect visible when framedrops occurs on paper and then took the effect who occurs in all of the framedrop scenes

I also noticed a slowdown which i thought was related to gourad shaders, but was promptly berated and told by a none dev that there are no gourad shaders in this emu. The FF VII fight scenes are gourad shaded, imho, and they are the slowest (besides FMV) part in the game, older emu's disabled them entirelly to get full-speed, so I know its somehing that can be disabled without compatability issues cropping up. (just dunno how to do it myself of course)

The FF7 fight scenes at running at around half speed just like the rest of the game. They update less fps on an actual PSX. I think it's 30fps for fullspeed walking around and 15fps battles. 60Hz is just the screen refresh.

I get near fullspeed on most none fight parts in FF VII with no sounds, PSX clock @ 28% and GP2x clocked to 280Mhz (on some parts its actually reaches 30fps, and in the lift in the reactor sectons, actually exceeds 30fps)

I've never seen a fight scene above 7FPS with more than 2 chars on the screen, and even with just cloud onscreen, never above 9. I already knew the fight scenes were ran at a lower FPS :)

Nice to see that work on this emu still continues :), I am sure that none of the people working on it would waste their valuable time if they didn't have hopes for it to be reasonably usable. I'll give it a spin as soon as I find some spare time.

Keep up the great work Mr.zodTTD, ( and team ) B)

Hey i've been away for a while, but I just noticed that Castlevania SotN works again!!

well, sort of... the sprites are all garbled :) but it's running pretty good if you manage to get ingame :)

Which version of the emulator do people find is working best. The newest or one of the older ones?
Ive noticed that people have had a game working on an earier version that suddenly had problems with newer versions.

Cant wait to see the progress of this one.

Great news! (for me anyway) I got C&C red alert and Dune2000(PAL) working!

Just on an off-chance that PocketIso was messing up my ROM images, I tried the uncompressed .bin files, and they worked!

C&Cs menus are not visible (I had to boot it up in a PC emu to know what button sequence to press to get in-game) but once in game everything was looking good. :)
Dune2000 was almost the opposite: the menus were visible and looking good, but unfortunately it's unplayable in-game because of severe graphical corruption which does not allow me to see the actual map(you can only just see about 5% of a flickering screen at the top). :(

Since I'm not one to give up on psx...

I found out if you replace psx4gp2x's mmuhack.o with the mmuhack.o from PicoDrive's latest builds, you'll get a good performance increase.

Testing Wipeout 1 with a 266MHz overclock, a low ~20 underclock value, and sound off I believe it'll run at 60 FPS (Vsync) with 15-16 frames drawn a second. This seems to be what the game runs at on actual hardware as well, so some might call this fullspeed.

The performance increase seems across all games as the blitter is much faster now due to a working mmu patch. So if someone wants to test FF7 or their games and see a few more FPS, go for it. :)

I have the psx4gp2x source up right now so I'm looking for anything new to fix. Other than that I'm trying to get FBA Plus to display it's goodness.

I just caught a really dumb way of improving dynarec performance. In almost all reg ops I was using a conditional to store MIPS R0 which only contains zero, as a reg mapped ARM register. Its never needed and makes a huge waste. Lets see how much it helps by removing it. :p

So all these hopscotching across every emu that might be even vaguely desirable, was all a clever ruse to get the Boys at Sony off your back ?? :blink:

Great news all the same...

Nice Zod, I replaced the mmuhack and I think I see a little speed improvement :) I think the biggest issue is that most games runs at acceptable framerate, but just work too slow to be enjoyable. Thanks for a great emulator either way!

I don't know if I'm dreaming, but I think replacing the mmuhack from picodrive to UAE4All improved it as well!!

Back