Psx4gp2x V0.1.2 Test 1 - Playstation 1 Emulator For Gp2x

novaslogic said:
You know, maybe something implement into the next version would be a settings import for games where people can take the settings that they found best for emulator and export them so we could load them onto our gp2x in order to get the best performance with out the need for trial and error, or maybe just a wikipedia entry with the best settings for each individual game. Just a thought. I'd be willing to work and contribute to this area if people were interested enough.
I could create an app for Windows to making *.ini [ or something similiar ] files with optimized games settings for psx4gp2x [ if ZodTTD decide to implement some "external settings mode" ]

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds awesome -- StreaK

Finaly some freetime after the busy day's.
So i'm gonna make some movies from games running.
Zodttd like to see that :)

zodttd said:
FF7 doesn't crash for me, though 10% clock may be too low, should try 20%. The 115VS explains that. It could also cause crashing by being so low. Battles are fine for me as well.

New version coming soon. Not sure how much better it will be. :p
:( it just doesn't like me, 1.1 and 20% gave me a flashing screen (or a continously blank screen), up to about 25% if I recall correctly - and it oddly freezes sometimes whilst just raising or lowering clock and thingy (even if the numbers are above 30% etc).

oddly enough, just tested quickly again
the main menu (new game or continue menu) at 1.1 is blank at 20-23%, flashes at 19%, but is viewable at 18%, flashes at anything between 24-31, 32 is viewable.

Having the options in the actual menu before launching the game (I'd imagine) would fix some crash/freeze issues, that only I seem to get.

Battles seem really bugged at these settings.

edit--
240, 1.5, 24% seems quite playable, and doesn't appear to be crashing :) it still feels a bit slow to me though, despite again 78 VS and FPS, maybe FF7 just plays slower than what I expect.

Just giving the old version a try with the clock and cycle settings, and it seems to actually be running better than the new version for me - although its clearly skipping frames it's actually running at good speed, whereas the new version runs smoother, but clearly not the right speed.

Even the emulator menu seems to run better than the newer one (the cursor moves faster).
Once launching the game, the old one loads almost instantly, but the new one takes it's time at "loading bios".
The piracy message seems to take ages on the new one, not as long on the old one.

Am I doing something totally wrong? Maybe the new one works better with the other bios you mentioned?

I've made a little compatibility test with latest build and 08042007 build with a powerslave / exhummed game:

PowerSlave [ 3D game similar to doom ]:

Test 3: -> OC:250 / RAM:ON / FramsSkip : 1/2 / Psx Cycle: 2.5 / PSX Cycle 100%

08042007 build: -> OC:250 / RAM:ON / FrameSkip:1/2 / PSX Cycle: 2.5 / PSX CLOCK: 100%

Test 3:

Game speed: Alnost perfect
Game behavior: All menus invisible, texures flickering, textures turns to black
Movies in game: stable 28 FPS, visible
Main game [3D]: stable 25-26 FPS
All game screens: stable 30 FPS / menus not visible

08042007 build:

Game speed: Good
Game behavior: All menus and options visible, Textures normal
Movies in game: stable 4.90 / 5.00 FPS, visible
Main game [3D]: stable 5-6 FPS
All game screens: smooth and visible screens / 16FPS

Download movie with both tests: http://www.mediafire.com/?8s79t0j41bi

i'm having trouble ripping my psx games. Can someone tell me how to rip them with magiciso?

I tried ripping by using Make image from CD Drive, and made a bin file, but it didn't work. The program just stops at "Loading BIOS"

Blast Radius [ 3D game similiar to Wing Commader 3/4 ]:

Test 3: -> OC:250 / RAM:ON / FramsSkip : 1/2 / Psx Cycle: 2.5 / PSX Cycle 100%

Game speed: Perfect 30 FPS [ real smooth ] + with sound
Game behavior: All menus and options visible, Textures normal
Main game [3D]: fu*.*ing awesome speed -> 30FPS [ real smooth ]
All game screens: smooth and visible screens / 30 FPS
Overall: 100% playable game with SOUND

Download movie - blast radius in action on psx4all TEST 3 -> http://www.mediafire.com/?3wbcg3myx3s

quadomatic said:
i'm having trouble ripping my psx games. Can someone tell me how to rip them with magiciso?

I tried ripping by using Make image from CD Drive, and made a bin file, but it didn't work. The program just stops at "Loading BIOS"

Maybe you don't put the correct bios in the psx4gp2x folder? google it..

StreaK said:
BTW. i dont see hlide in credits in this psx4all edition, is he workin on this project ?
In fact, this version uses some code i wrote but not something i will brag about to be frank but i should be in the credits the next time (zodttd ;P). It is true i intended to use the second cpu of gp2x but technically you need to make a kernel module for linux to help the communication between both cpu through interrupts, which is insane to debug and my gp2x tends to drain energy too fast to such an extent that i prefer not to develop UPON it.

By the way, I'm mostly working on yapse4all now.

2 PSX emu's for me to test? I'm going to be spoilt! I didn't get my gp2x for PSX emulation, and never actually expected to see games such as FF7, Abes oddesy and the likes run as fast as they currently can.

[edit]

More and more tests! All ran at Clock speed 280Mhz, Ram timings on, with no sound or interlace unless otherwise stated. Test 3 build.

Air Combat : (PSX CPU 100% Cycle 4.0 FS 0/1) Frame skipping did not work on this game (models flashed, menus missing) but it ran so well once in game it did not require frame skip! The emulator was reporting 61 REAL FPS, and it looked that way to the eye also. I decided to try this with sound on, in menus, it was playing slower than it should, but once in game it was surprisingly accurate. I'm shocked!

Bishi Bashi 2 : (PSX CPU 70% Cycle 4.0 FS 0/1) Another practically full speed title, although this time its not so surprising. I again tried with sound on, and although it sounded mainly OK, it lagged at times, causing the GP2X to sound like it was screaming for me to stop :) Frame skip also did not work with this title, but again, there was not much need for it.

Bomber man : (PSX CPU 100% Cycle 4.0 FS 1/2) Ran at about half speed (30FPS) regardless of settings. Increasing PSX cycle reported more FPS to the counter, but visually it stayed slow. Frame skip worked with this title, but again, seemed to offer little benefit.

Castlevania - Symphony of the Night : (PSX CPU 100% Cycle 1.2 FS 1/2) VS and fps were stable at the above settings at 38. It was skipping frames, and ran a little slow, but seemed OK without sound. I have never played this title on an actual PSX, so maybe you just are really supposed to move that slow? I should do a few videos, but my camera is AFK :'(

Pocket Fighter : Blank screen, tried several Clock and Cycle settings, and although something seems to be happening (whatever is happening is happening at 43FPS), the screen remains blank. Maybe a bios issue, will try a few later.

Resident Evil Directors Cut : (PSX CPU 80% Cycle 4.0 FS 0/1) Speech does not work, but sound is OK, just a little bit slow at times. Mainly the game play is much faster than any other release AFAIK, but not as fast as the frame rate counter was reporting. After a couple of cut scenes my characters head became invisible! In areas with lots of chars the frame rate drops badly, and although frame skipping worked, it did not seem to offer any improvement. More playable than before, but in areas with lots of actors, eugh.

Tekken 3 : All I get is garbled graphics, and then the emulator freezes, could be my dump, will obtain another and try again.

Tobal 2 : (PSX Clock 40% Cycle 2.0 FS 0/1) Runs too slow to be considered playable, but it is emulated accurately. Game runs nowhere near reported FPS and neither frame skip or interlace work with this title. Tested it in both Tournament and Quest mode.

----

One thing I have noticed, is that frame skip does not work for a lot of PSX titles, so maybe it should be disabled by default? Its current default is 1/2, and this setting seems to cause a lot of issues like flashing graphics and textures, or blank screens. If you are experiencing any of these with a game, turn off frame skip!

hlide said:
StreaK said:
BTW. i dont see hlide in credits in this psx4all edition, is he workin on this project ?
In fact, this version uses some code i wrote but not something i will brag about to be frank but i should be in the credits the next time (zodttd ;P). It is true i intended to use the second cpu of gp2x but technically you need to make a kernel module for linux to help the communication between both cpu through interrupts, which is insane to debug and my gp2x tends to drain energy too fast to such an extent that i prefer not to develop UPON it.

By the way, I'm mostly working on yapse4all now.

Is it only you working on yapse4all or is Zodttd helping you? Will it be released for the gp2x and maybe pandora? What are your plans?

cowai said:
Is it only you working on yapse4all or is Zodttd helping you? Will it be released for the gp2x and maybe pandora? What are your plans?
1) Actually, Zodttd has two projects which take his time : psx4iphone and GPSPhone. He can access my sources, so he can be inspired to update his psx4all sources. He should also help me when time comes.
2) i plan to make it working on psp (i got one), itouch (i got one) and pandora (i'll buy one). There is no reason there is no port for gp2x, but i sense gp2x is too limited for what i expect. Anyway, i'm pretty sure zodttd will port yapse4all on it.

quadomatic said:

try using isobuster. i believe zoddt said something in the past about magiciso not making proper iso images (i could be mistaken though)

hlide said:
cowai said:
1) Actually, Zodttd has two projects which take his time : psx4iphone and GPSPhone. He can access my sources, so he can be inspired to update his psx4all sources. He should also help me when time comes.
2) i plan to make it working on psp (i got one), itouch (i got one) and pandora (i'll buy one). There is no reason there is no port for gp2x, but i sense gp2x is too limited for what i expect. Anyway, i'm pretty sure zodttd will port yapse4all on it.

Sounds good :D

Do you think there will be two psx emulators to the pandora (psx4all and yapse4all)? or will you two work together on one?

Two many questions? :p

Hlide and I have been sharing code for awhile now. I'd like to work together on yapse4all. Should go well. :)

Here's a test build of v0.2.0 Test 1:
http://www.zodttd.com/psx4gp2x/psx4gp2x_0_2_0_t1.zip

What this version is all about:
1. This is a test to show that the slowest settings on this psx4gp2x are still faster than previous versions. :p
2. I set the PSX CYCLE to 1.0 and the PSX CLOCK to 100 by default. This means the FPS counter will 100% be accurate at this setting. It also means things will go slower. A quick speed up can be had by setting the PSX CLOCK to around 20 or set the PSX CYCLE to around 4 or 6. ;)
3. Frameskip has been set to off by default. Turn it on and see performance can go way up depending on the game and what clock settings you use.

#1 is kind of a joke. I really want to know what settings work best for certain games. If anyone cares to try this build out, please let me know.

I did increase performance quite a bit in this release. Might be worth a try. :)

cowai said:
Do you think there will be two psx emulators to the pandora (psx4all and yapse4all)? or will you two work together on one?

idealistically, both. ;P

indeed, psx4all is an old but working emulator which is pretty fast to port on any ARM machines. When yapse4all was launched, it was on our intention that both Zodttd and I worked on it. Yapse4all being written from scratch, it takes much more time since we are trying to get something more efficient and still portable on MIPS and ARM machines.

hlide said:
cowai said:

idealistically, both. ;P

indeed, psx4all is an old but working emulator which is pretty fast to port on any ARM machines. When yapse4all was launched, it was on our intention that both Zodttd and I worked on it. Yapse4all being written from scratch, it takes much more time since we are trying to get something more efficient and still portable on MIPS and ARM machines.

It is so nice to hear that you two work together, and not competing :)

Is mmuhack.o being loaded and used correctly? I'm asking because I stuck Open2x on my GP2X, and now I get "Error, MMUHACK.O not loaded correctly" but then after a few seconds the emulator starts, and I get the same or very similar results as when the mmuhack is loaded.

Will test the new build later (in a normal firmware).

[edit]

Heres a couple of really bad quality vids, but you should be able to see how well or how not well these two games perform.

GTA : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3-PD-Po95A

Air Combat (Sound is recorded too fast with the CrapCam) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2lJFHen9TQ

Back