Psx4gp2x Beta Testers Thread

Ok things to fix so far:
- It's been reported that only loading save state 1 works. Not sure about saving states. I'll have to make sure these are working, but if not I think I know why. Oh yeah
***OLD SAVE STATES MIGHT NOT WORK WITH THIS RELEASE.***
Almost forgot to say that.
- There is a problem with reading memory cards within games when using underclocking. I can probably fix this. For now the fix is to raise the clock all the way up to 33MHz, it usually will continue running from there.

As for some solutions to problems:
- For 1:1 pixel ratio, or at least the best image the GP2X can output:
Use interlace 0 by turning off HW scaling in the interlace usage part of the menu. Then use Volume Up to switch interlacing to 0.

I can't wait to try this out. I have my batteries charged and games ripped :D

Saving on slot 1 works fine too.

Legend of Mana runs fullspeed 55-75 or so FPS with 10MHz on everything except movies. I wonder how it would fare with sound on?

Overclock at 275mhz
default settings

-Striker 1945: underclock at 18mhz
Vsinc: 43
fps: 27
playable

-destruction derby2: 33mhz
crashes at the title screen.

-pocket fighter: 33mhz
black screen.

-Castlevania SOTN: 33mhz
crashes at the konami screen

-marvel VS street fighter: 33mhz
black screen

-battle arena toshiden: 33mhz
Vsinc: 17
FPS: 5

I tried Civilization II.

Overclock 266. Underclock 10

Vsinc 60 Framerate 30 Inter 1 Progresive ON

Overclock 250. Underclock 10

Vsinc 30 Framerate 15 Inter 0 Progresive OFF.

I have one question. Could you explain me the different image setting?

I dont now how influence the game HW scaling or progresive or interlacing.

Thanks.

:D Okay, I tested Soul Reaver (Legacy of Kain) PAL

Image: *.dat (burn at once)
Clock: 275 MHz

Hardwarescaling:
The Intro (not pre-rendered) runs at 3-7 FpS VSync: 17-23

Interlacing:1 progressive scan : off
the same

Interlacing:0 progressive scan: off (best Quality)
3-5 FpS VSync: 14-17

Interlacing- modes above 2 are not really usable

some glitches (maybe fog or lighteffects in background)
emulator doesnt load the first fight-scene (the same like epsxe)

looks nice!!!

I tried Civilization II.

Overclock 266. Underclock 10

Vsinc 60 Framerate 30 Inter 1 Progresive ON

Overclock 250. Underclock 10

Vsinc 30 Framerate 15 Inter 0 Progresive OFF.

I have one question. Could you explain me the different image setting?

I dont now how influence the game HW scaling or progresive or interlacing.

Thanks.

hardwarescaling: not every line is rendered, but the hardwarescaler scales the image to fullscreen
progressive off
interlacing1: every second line is rendered, others are black
interlacing3: only every third line is rendered ....

progressive on: blacklines are changed by rendered lines of the next frame (like Pal-TV)

the best quality is: interlacing:0 progressive: off
other settings save resources

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
Could anyone try out Star Ocean 2? I would but my cd broke :(

For me it runs extreamly fast and well, but crashes when it starts a new game. Sorry.

I also tested Tactics Ogre which ran well. 30fps on 4mhz with everything perfect. Extreamly playable.

Once again Tales of Destiny 2 ran well, as reported with last beta, with a small speed boost by underclocking to 4mhz to 10mhz.

For some reason, Allied General can't show it's menu when interlaced. Otherwise it works well, except some strange control issues.

Non-compressed IMG file, 266 MHZ, No interlace, CPU at 4mhz. Would be playable if the controls were working.

Azure Dreams has terrible graphical glitches, works at about 10-17 FPS, 4 mhz, no interlacing. Vsync from 60 to 125, menu had a framerate at 70 or so. :)

My tv capture is also funky, was there a fixer or somesuch? Heh, tv-out fixer indeed works... Then it works again, and again... Making the picture bigger and bigger. I wonder if it can be set to fix the picture only once? 120 seconds just ain't enough to play...

Some sort of log feature would deffinately help to determine functionality...

Well, did a video of Darkstalkers. If you have bandwith to burn, here's 4 minute, 20 MB clip of Morrigan, controlled by me, getting pwnd by some vampire dude. Note, my philosophy in fighting games is "bash bash bash!, you'll hit something...", and my choice of warrior tends to be based primarily on size of their bust, (which, come to think of it, would favor the bulky muscledudes more than anyone...) or, let's say, the depth of their cleavage. :)

Here's just 30 seconds of ingame, that's the important part, eh? About 3 MB's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67x6L_5pGnc
Here we have menu, a bit of selection, intro, and whole round of... well, fighting, which I happen to lose. (First round of DS, I've played, ever... :) ) 25 MB's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MET1XhNHTiY

266mhz, UC 4mhz, non-interlaced, ingame from 20 to 45 FPS, vsync from 90 to 169 or so.

Driver 2 PAL wont work for me at all. nothing shows. Neither does Sim City 2000 PAL.

Worlds Scariest Police Chases NTSC
Runs at about 15fps on every setting that i have tried. nothing seems to make a difference

RPG Maker NTSC has too many graphical glitches to be played.

Will try more games later but taking ages to convert the disks to be used

Final Fantasy 6 PAL runs really well until the menu where it just freezes

Zodttd, wouldnt some sort of automatic underclocking be possible? like it clocks down one step, compares if fps got higher if yes it clocks down one step more, and so on.
Should work quite good i think.
Also i noticed that it dosnt seem to work to switch on hardware scaleing while ingame, it either sclaes to much or not at all.
Oh and quite a few games are now realy playable with underclocking, raiden project gets 20-30fps and feels smoother than ever.

Legend of Mana (NTSC) [.z compressed, ripped without movies]

Interlacing:0 Progressive: Off @ 320Mhz (PSX Core underclocked to 1,8Mhz)
===================
On the startscreen:

VSincRate: 86
FrameRate: 40

HW scaling @ 320Mhz (PSX Core underclocked to 1,8Mhz)
===================
On the startscreen:

VSincRate: 125
FrameRate: 60

Crashes after the "Select your weapon" screen

HW scaling @ 310Mhz (PSX Core underclocked to 11Mhz)
===================
Ingame:

VSincRate: 71
FrameRate: 23

I think it's fully playable then :) (I wonder why lights or the character sprites on the character select screen are only brown oO)

Edit: Wow, with interlacing 3 + progessive on i get 41fps ingame :)

Beta 1.8 is a great release, the game loadtime compared to the one of the last official release is incredible! Keep up your amazing work!

any chance o any one pm me the link I have pm 'ed zodttd but he must be off coding

Thanks icarafu, shame it doesnt work, its one of the best rpgs ive played

Bobafeet- I have the same problem, Zodttd sure isnt there. Any link to the emu would be much appreciated

Just tried Bloody Roar 2 PAL while overclocking @ 250.
Interlacing=1
Progressive= ON

Get around 3-10fps during intro videos
Get around 12-18fps during the menu
Freezes after character selection

Zodttd wrote:
Be sure to post results of games in the beta tester thread.
This is a private beta, in the sense that I don't want it made public to news sites as an official release yet. There's still bugs in the GPU that need to be fixed. If someone in the Beta Testers thread isn't getting a reply from me after they PM'd me with Beta 1.8 in the subject, it means I'm currently away. So feel free to PM them the beta link as long as they PMd me first. I know it's weird, but it should be ok.

So I guess it'll be okay to pm you the link

Back