Psx4gp2x Beta Testers Thread

PokeParadox posted on May 14 2006 at 03:32 PM said:
Jarska333 posted on May 14 2006 at 01:27 PM said:
Try with Dscaler. What card do you have, btw?
It is Dscaler that I'm using primarily. And I have tried to use VirtualDub(Mod) and Nandub to capture, but it keeps crashing. >_> I dunno why since it worked last week.

ADS Tech VideoXpress is my card (it's actually a USB 2.0 adaptor with the inputs)

The usual: Be sure to get the latest drivers and such. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just tried filming a video using my Digital camera... but it was out of focus, and all over the place as I try to control the GP2X and keep the cam on the screen. So not worth while at all. The best I can offer at the moment is screen shots. Although I obviously intend to sort out capture card problems.

xinfernoofdantex posted on May 14 2006 at 03:35 PM said:
would any beta testers like to try out FFT or Legend of Dragoon?

FFT has been tested, refer to page 3 of this thread. :)

icurafu said:
Final Fantasy Tactics
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OC - 270
INTERLACE - 1
PROGRESSIVE - ON
VSYNC/FPS
14/14 In Menu
25/25 text introduction
35/10 background image changing
17/11 Render rotating balcony at start
12/12 Ingame
16/16 ingame after first complex balcony scene.
20/10 fight scene (Falls to 5fps at the lowest for just an instant while massive spell is cast)

Any idea when this will get a public release ? as i really want to try this oh and where can i send a donation because i think they really deserve it !!!!

Hi everyone! Great testing so far. I really appreciate it.

I'm thinking of making Beta 2 public, as soon everyone will be in the beta (my PM folder was filled 100% in a few hours). ;)

If I make beta 2 public, I'll be sure to make the post explictly say it's a work in progress open beta, and not a release, just in case sites want to put it frontpage.

I got something cool working guys/girls/babies with fire coming out of their eyes/... Texture caching is now working! What does this mean? Well I now convert all the GPU color conversion process when written to the framebuffer. The GPU handles everything in RGB565, and texture's are loaded once only, then just pointed to from cache, holding more textures than the framebuffer. The cool thing is, instead of wasting cycles doing per pixel color conversion on blit, now it's not needed, and on 1:1 aspect ratio (no scaling) I can use a load multiple / store multiple ARM instruction to load and save 20 pixels at a time instead of 1 or 2.

This seems to add 3 or more frames per second to games. I'll optimize it to get more in a bit. Beta 2 might be coming fast.

Current beta testers: Are there anything that would need to be fixed for beta 2 besides the following:
- Wavey lines in textures. Unai will have to fix when he gets a chance.
- Missing polygons in games such as FF7. Also up to Unai.
- Progressive Interlacing making things ugly in a bunch of games. If things look ugly, just turn it off. ;P

I can test Civ 2. I'll give it a go in a little bit.

Time to optimize...

Okay, altough i got the beta, i had too much to do to try it out right away.

Now i´ve tested a few games.

Final Fantasy Tactics

OC - 290
Interlace - 0
Progressive Off
Vsync 24
FPS 11-14

Chrono Cross

OC - 290
Interlace - 0
Progressive Off
Vsync 20
FPS 4 (running demo)
-crashes/hangs when entering new game. I think this is due to the lack of an odd/even bit hack in the GPU core, because on epxe on the pc it is the same without the hack)

Grandia

OC - 290
Interlace - 0
Progressive Off
Vsync 20
FPS 4-6 ingame, faster in battles.
- image seems to ´be shifted to the left, the most left 10 pixels are displayed on the right. Some Texture errors.

Also what´s up with the interlacing? it speeds up the emu quire a bit, but it looks horrible, esp. on high settings.

From what i´ve seen so far most games seem to run twice as fast as before. Gives me hope to get some of them running at a playable speed.

Fishbong posted on May 14 2006 at 08:25 PM said:
Chrono Cross

OC - 290
Interlace - 0
Progressive Off
Vsync 20
FPS 6 (running demo)
-crashes/hangs when entering new game. I think this is due to the lack of an odd/even bit hack in the CPU core, because on epxe on the pc it is the same without the hack)

I also tested Chrono Cross (see my test list P3 of this thread.) And I used ePSXe to get passed the title screen crash and save a memcard save. Would it be possible to add the ePSXe hack to fix this crash?

EDIT:
@Vimacs: Yes but normal compression only, I haven't tried maximum.

@ZodTTD, I think there are still some other minor bugs in the gpu that need fixing, but I'm guessing that unai and his testers are aware of them. I guess we'll see if they're still there in the next beta. :)

has anyone got jo jos bizarre adventure or bushido blade 1 or 2 ? to see if they work now . i couldt get bushido blade to work on 0.36 and jojo only got the the start screen.

Vimacs: To be honest, I haven't tried ZNX compression, only Z. It very well might not work. :x

I'll add back the odd/even fix to the emu. It was there originally, but I removed it to optimize things. Hopefully it will work next beta. If not, it will be easily fixed after that. :)

*** NOTE ***
Interlacing will look distorted with PROGRESSIVE interlacing, as it draws the "inbetween" lines from the past frame with the current frame, leaving any jump in movement between each line. Were working on getting this to look better. Some games look ok with it, but most are horrid. I'll make it OFF by default next beta.
To turn OFF PROGRESSIVE, press the A button in the menu system.
I suggest leaving ON INTERLACE if it doesn't bother you, as it should give more FPS by a good amount in some games.

Unai seems to be busy lately. I haven't heard if he's fixed any more bugs. I sort-of made him mad it seems, since I was bugging him about optimizations I was trying to make to the GPU. So hopefully he's ok with everything and is just busy with work.

I might release Beta 2 soon, as I would like to see if texture caching helps in any games. I would like to fix ZNX compression if needed for beta 2 as well. Thanks for the heads up Vimacs.

Back