Psx4gp2x Beta Testers Thread

Even so, it's remarkable watching these videos and seeing how PSX emulation is running really well on the GP2X, it's even playable in some. That is something truly amazing, and I never realised how so until I watched these videos.

Now I wish I hadn't sold my PS1 games :)

Jarska333 posted on May 17 2006 at 05:46 PM said:
But the main use for 2X is on the road, using batteries or rechargeables. Too high OC gives wrong impression of emulators current capabilities, on the actually sensible mhz's.

Not really... I am clearly stating that I am overclocking, so there are no false impressions. I vaguely remember someone implying that for every 10MHz you overclock, you got an extra fps. With that being said you can subtract 8 fps the video fps' if you want a rough approximation for "normal" clocked GP2Xs.
Anyways it's each to their own... I wanted to give that emulator as much power as my GP2X would muster, so that's what I did. If you don't want to overclock your GP2X, then don't... it's as simple as that.

Last edited by a moderator:
nickspoon posted on May 17 2006 at 02:06 PM said:

Well, maybe you didn't sell them...

On a serious note though, and forgive me for going slightly off topic but since overclockling came to light in the thread, I have a little question concerning OCing: does the speed to which one can OC a GP2X depend entirely on luck (as with usual processors, some go to higher speeds even while being the same model/rated speed), meaning, maybe the one I get will only overclock stably up to 220 MHz while other people's could go up to 350?

Paulo Becker posted on May 17 2006 at 07:09 PM said:
nickspoon posted on May 17 2006 at 02:06 PM said:

Well, maybe you didn't sell them...

On a serious note though, and forgive me for going slightly off topic but since overclockling came to light in the thread, I have a little question concerning OCing: does the speed to which one can OC a GP2X depend entirely on luck (as with usual processors, some go to higher speeds even while being the same model/rated speed), meaning, maybe the one I get will only overclock stably up to 220 MHz while other people's could go up to 350?
luck+power source for anything above 260

yep, thats right. i can't even OC to 230 without it crashing instantly. though if you have a low overclock ability like mine get some good thermal pads and just stick them over the processor and you'll get an extra 20-30mhz out of it

moz posted on May 17 2006 at 03:14 PM said:
luck+power source for anything above 260

By power source do you mean that A/C Adapter thingy? I'm definitely considering getting one along with my GP2X order already.

Paradox posted on May 17 2006 at 03:14 PM said:
yep, thats right. i can't even OC to 230 without it crashing instantly. though if you have a low overclock ability like mine get some good thermal pads and just stick them over the processor and you'll get an extra 20-30mhz out of it

Hmmm thermal pads. Is there enough room for that? I'm always afraid to bust videogame consoles open =/ Guess I'll at least wait till the warranty period is over to do that :) Thanks for the helpful replies guys. I'm really warming up to this community.

ocdist.gif

ok, just whipped this up in excel :)

it's based on the claims made in the "highest overclock thread". there's not enough data there for it to be very accurate, and bear in mind that a lot of people probably didn't play long enough at these speeds to find out how stable they were. but many of these are stable.

paradox, that puts you in the tail section i'm afraid!

rokdcasbah posted on May 17 2006 at 04:23 PM said:
it's based on the claims made in the "highest overclock thread". there's not enough data there for it to be very accurate, and bear in mind that a lot of people probably didn't play long enough at these speeds to find out how stable they were. but many of these are stable.
Coolness. If it resembles the Bell curve, it's probably accurate. I just hope I don't end up in the negative deviation area ¬_¬'

i think that theoretically it probably should, but there are various inaccuracies with the way i've done this. it could be better if i had more data and if the set of criteria were stricter.

but really, who cares :) 275 seems to be the sweet spot for most people. i was surprised that it was not 266, though there's a lot of those as well. keep in mind that people are more likely to pick clock speeds that don't make their screen look like crap (the lcd & cpu frequency are based on the same clock).

rokdcasbah posted on May 17 2006 at 09:32 PM said:
but really, who cares :) 275 seems to be the sweet spot for most people. i was surprised that it was not 266, though there's a lot of those as well.

And that would be on batteries, Accus or on Power adapter? I'm getting crazy because my unit goes only to 255 on 2x2500mAh Energizer accus

UPDATE

Metal gear Solid 1
- Graphics: --
- Speed: --
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbHgNcbbaxc
- Crash after menu screen

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1
- Graphics: --
- Speed: --
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LvZn0wCfDU
- Crash in loading screen

Breath of Fire 3
- Graphics: 100%
- Speed: 7-12 FPS ingame
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoBiM-I8fy0

kardasan posted on May 18 2006 at 12:19 AM said:
but really, who cares :) 275 seems to be the sweet spot for most people. i was surprised that it was not 266, though there's a lot of those as well.

And that would be on batteries, Accus or on Power adapter? I'm getting crazy because my unit goes only to 255 on 2x2500mAh Energizer accus

It depends on the voltage, not amperage. Your accu's are 1.2 volts, I'd assume, they all seem to be. A battery bought from store, non-rechargeable, is 1.5 volts. More volts, more stable overclock. Though, 4.5 volts might just fry your 2X.

Jarska333 posted on May 17 2006 at 05:31 PM said:
kardasan posted on May 18 2006 at 12:19 AM said:

It depends on the voltage, not amperage. Your accu's are 1.2 volts, I'd assume, they all seem to be. A battery bought from store, non-rechargeable, is 1.5 volts. More volts, more stable overclock. Though, 4.5 volts might just fry your 2X.

I thought the gp2x has a voltage regulator, making the voltage always correct (within reason, its not going to fix 120volts).

The only current worry is that Sony are bringing out a PS1 emulator for the PSP, and since CDs don't really fit into it, I'd imagine there will be a little extra money going into Sony's pockets in the form of PS1 games for the PSP. They're not going to like a rival handheld offering free PS1 games, even with lesser framerates..

In other words, enjoy the videos on YouTube but be careful who's around.. *checks behind plant*

Back