Psp Has Arrived

Axeman

Axemeister
Website
Visit site
All I can say is...

WOW!

I got myself ready for a letdown, but this thing has exceeded ALL my expectations. Cosmetically, its a thing of beauty, technologically its a thing of beauty and the games I've got (wipout pure and Lumines) are both absolutely great!

This was worth the wait and then some.... If homebrew takes off on this baby, then there'll be no stopping it.

No - scratch that... there'll be no stopping it anyway.

I owned a DS for a month and recently sold it. Gotta say, the DS PALES in comparison to this piece of kit. Being someone who's owned both, I can really vouch for that. Nintendo are VERY lucky that they had a head start on this thing, or their asses would be grass right about now.

All aspects of this device, icluding screen, build quality, ergonomics, sound quality, number of uses and all the rest of it, are light years ahead of Nintendo's offering. I'm no Sony fanboy (this is the first piece of Sony games kit I've actually bought), and also no Nintendo fanboy, so this opinion is totally unbiased.

Anyways... gonna carry on playing now - just had to shout my joy to the world :D

Axeman posted on Apr 17 2005 at 10:39 PM said:
All I can say is...

WOW!

I got myself ready for a letdown, but this thing has exceeded ALL my expectations. Cosmetically, its a thing of beauty, technologically its a thing of beauty and the games I've got (wipout pure and Lumines) are both absolutely great!

This was worth the wait and then some.... If homebrew takes off on this baby, then there'll be no stopping it.

I owned a DS for a month and recently sold it. Gotta say, the DS PALES in comparison to this piece of kit. Being someone who's owned both, I can really vouch for that. Nintendo are VERY lucky that they had a head start on this thing, or their asses would be grass right about now.

All aspects of this device, icluding screen, build quality, ergonomics, sound quality, number of uses and all the rest of it, are light years ahead of Nintendo's offering. I'm no Sony fanboy (this is the first piece of Sony games kit I've actually bought), and also no Nintendo fanboy, so this opinion is totally unbiased.

Anyways... gonna carry on playing now - just had to shout my joy to the world :D

Easily the best bit of kit Ive seen in a while. Ive not been this excited about a device since the Amiga 1200. Its awsome. It will revolutionise handheld media. Get one - its by far the best hand held entertainment device out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Axeman posted on Apr 17 2005 at 10:39 PM said:
All I can say is...

WOW!

curse my 2 pound an hour job.

ive never seen a console like this, get a response that it does....

99% of the people who bought them, have had to declare the love for them as soon they get to sit down and play em....

i was just the same..... fantastic peice of kit.

now only if somone donated me a 2gb duo stick

All aspects of this device, icluding screen, build quality, ergonomics, sound quality, number of uses and all the rest of it, are light years ahead of Nintendo's offering.

No mention at all of the games when comparing to Nintendo. Nice.

No offence to anyone, but this is going to get old, fast. When I got my GP32 I was in love with everything about it. Ditto with my PDA, then I realised it was only useful as a note dictator. My iBook, first awesome and novel, is now just an every day tool. My DS blew me away but now it's just a regular handheld with some cool mini games.

I refuse to listen to the words of anyone proclaiming their opinions, either love or hate, about a console they have only just gotten hold of. They can't be trusted.

The voice of reason! Its quite true, although I love my gp32 to bits now that I know what I like I don't have to experiment with it any more. My usage of it has gone down from every day to whenever I actaully want to play a specific MD game (drMD is pretty much the only thing I use at the moment, although phandy is pretty cool)

[edit] I'm not sure if that made much sense, but I'm now into my 72nd hourwithout sleep, so don't judge to harshly:)

there is some justice about the psp hype... 7 of my friends own it, 3 of them also havin DS. Now all 3 wants to sell their DS...

think i would have bought one too, but i shudder to think of the $$$ in buyin the games. there's a whole chunk of snes rpgs which i haven't played or completed, so will be stickin with gp32 for quite a while... :)

I can't wait to get my hands on a PSP, I've had a DS and was reasonably impressed but not blown away.

The DS will fail to deliver once a few WarioWare games have been released, as they will no doubt take up every possible combination of touch screen and mic interactivity leaving it as a map screen for everygame brought out afterwards...people will get bored.

PSP will succeed on the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it front' by continuing the trend of upping the specs and changing the dates on the Fifa titles.

Rico posted on Apr 18 2005 at 09:49 AM said:
No offence to anyone, but this is going to get old, fast. When I got my GP32 I was in love with everything about it. Ditto with my PDA, then I realised it was only useful as a note dictator. My iBook, first awesome and novel, is now just an every day tool. My DS blew me away but now it's just a regular handheld with some cool mini games.

I refuse to listen to the words of anyone proclaiming their opinions, either love or hate, about a console they have only just gotten hold of. They can't be trusted.

Good point, but I'm old fashioned I guess... I still look at the GP32 while a game is running and think "F$*# Me!" It still impresses me after the 2.5 years of owning it!

The PSP and GP32 are really different for me. I don't compare them at all, different types of games, and one won't replace the other. The GP32 is all about retro and HB and PSP is like a portable PS2 with good and expensive games. I still use both.

I have a DS though and you can compare them as they are both closed commercial systems. All I have to say is Nintendo is in trouble with the DS, the PSP just blows it away in every respect from power to games. 2 screens is a nice gimmick, but I prefer one large screen to two little ones. Sorry Ninty your dominance in the portable world is in jeopardy, better get out the next GB soon..

About not mentioning the games...

Lumines, Wipeout, Dark stalkers, Twisted metal, Untold legends (Portable hack and slash RPG goodness) Dynasty warriors, Mercury, And if you can look past the card thing (Which I can't) Metal Gear Acid. (and there's some sports titles but I never list those.) And soon medievil. (which I loved playing)

This seems like a solid lineup to me, and games are still coming out.

I WANTED a DS at a time, I honestly did. But after watching the DS section shrink instead of grow (the entire DS section was just the end of a gamerack here, not the side of it, the end of it.) I kinda lost intererest. And unlike neo geo pocket color there were no "must haves" before it shrank.

I will still get a DS if the new mario game isn't some genre warped stylus-nazi (YOU MUST USE THE STYLUS) creation. And is a nice fresh revamped classic styled mario game.

Honestly I think the card thing is getting a worse rap than it deserves. I finally got my PSP yesterday and I have both Tony Hawk and MGS, MGS is easily more fun for me so far. It's Bacially Advance wars with one (later 2) Units that have multiple functions based on your deck and uses stealth tactics. I thinkthe way the rules have been explained in the past makes it seem more difficult than it really is.

Rico posted on Apr 17 2005 at 11:49 PM said:
All aspects of this device, icluding screen, build quality, ergonomics, sound quality, number of uses and all the rest of it, are light years ahead of Nintendo's offering.

Right...

Well ok then - if you put it like that.

I owned a DS, and after a day of having it, I was starting to think "should I have got this thing?". I looked at the selection of games, and to be honest nothing except Mario 64 atracted me. I felt the same after a month, except that I was hardly using it by then because I was bored with Mario (good as it is) and sick of the kiddyness of it all. I'm also tired of seeing the same old shite on the shelves with the prospect of anything else coming out soon that will attract me being quite slim (and yes, I did try other games in the shop). All-in-all it simply didnt 'do it' for me.

Roll on a month later - I get my PSP. After a day of having it, I'm thinking "Blimey! I'm really glad I took the plunge and went for one of these things.". I'm currently trying to select what further games I'm going to buy from the decent selection of games that are now around, and am really enjoying playing what I have. The idea of selling it hasn't entered my head, and probably nw wont for a very long time.

That's my two first day experiences compared. Sorry Rico, but the PSP easily comes out on top in all ways INCLUDING games. I'ver had more fun in one day of owning my PSP than I had in the month of owning my DS. Using the thing is simply more enjoyable and jaw dropping, but the games are also there to back it up.

I know the novelty will fade, but in all ways I can see, the PSP is ahead of the game. As for trusting people's opinions, that's up to you. All I can say is there are very few people who are selling their PSPs, and plenty who are offloading their DS units.

The point I'm trying to make is that I know I'm excited about it, cos it's a new toy, but in the end, its the games that count, and I know after a few hours whether they're worth the effort. These ARE worth it, and will be for a long time to come, as long as they keep churning out the quality.

Getting old quickly? Nah.

Getting bored of people whinging? Yes ;)

Happy with my choice? Most definitely.... :D

Axeman posted on Apr 18 2005 at 05:35 PM said:

Right...

Well ok then - if you put it like that.

I owned a DS, and after a day of having it, I was starting to think "should I have got this thing?". I looked at the selection of games, and to be honest nothing except Mario 64 atracted me. I felt the same after a month, except that I was hardly using it by then because I was bored with Mario (good as it is) and sick of the kiddyness of it all. I'm also tired of seeing the same old shite on the shelves with the prospect of anything else coming out soon that will attract me being quite slim (and yes, I did try other games in the shop). All-in-all it simply didnt 'do it' for me.

Roll on a month later - I get my PSP. After a day of having it, I'm thinking "Blimey! I'm really glad I took the plunge and went for one of these things.". I'm currently trying to select what further games I'm going to buy from the decent selection of games that are now around, and am really enjoying playing what I have. The idea of selling it hasn't entered my head, and probably nw wont for a very long time.

That's my two first day experiences compared. Sorry Rico, but the PSP easily comes out on top in all ways INCLUDING games. I'ver had more fun in one day of owning my PSP than I had in the month of owning my DS. Using the thing is simply more enjoyable and jaw dropping, but the games are also there to back it up.

I know the novelty will fade, but in all ways I can see, the PSP is ahead of the game. As for trusting people's opinions, that's up to you. All I can say is there are very few people who are selling their PSPs, and plenty who are offloading their DS units.

The point I'm trying to make is that I know I'm excited about it, cos it's a new toy, but in the end, its the games that count, and I know after a few hours whether they're worth the effort. These ARE worth it, and will be for a long time to come, as long as they keep churning out the quality.

Getting old quickly? Nah.

Getting bored of people whinging? Yes ;)

Happy with my choice? Most definitely.... :D
ooh! admin bitchfight!

meeeeyow!

...i wish id waited.

The PSP is indeed a thing of beauty. However, the DS doesn't pale in comparision to it in my eyes. But when you first see the PSP you really do think "fucks me, is the screen THAT big?"

Meteos, Kirby and Mario are all must-haves really, it's just that the former two haven't arrived out of Japan yet.

Alpha2 posted on Apr 18 2005 at 04:14 PM said:
Honestly I think the card thing is getting a worse rap than it deserves. I finally got my PSP yesterday and I have both Tony Hawk and MGS, MGS is easily more fun for me so far. It's Bacially Advance wars with one (later 2) Units that have multiple functions based on your deck and uses stealth tactics. I thinkthe way the rules have been explained in the past makes it seem more difficult than it really is.

yup, mga is really a good game. first card turn based whatever game i've played, but i have to say it's very fun. it's not difficult at all, plus it's always good to play a game like this once in a while. i can see a real MGS game playing very well on the psp, too.

Fair play, but I think it's too early to be saying that one handheld blows the other one away ... for good. There's a lot of good DS titles in the works. To be honest, for me, after you get past the novelty of the screen, the actual games don't impress me. But you seem to be having fun and that's what counts.

Well done with the purchase. But don't be so quick to cast away a handheld that's nowhere near dead yet just because you sold it and own a PSP.

Rico posted on Apr 18 2005 at 08:39 PM said:
Fair play, but I think it's too early to be saying that one handheld blows the other one away ... for good. There's a lot of good DS titles in the works. To be honest, for me, after you get past the novelty of the screen, the actual games don't impress me. But you seem to be having fun and that's what counts.

Well done with the purchase. But don't be so quick to cast away a handheld that's nowhere near dead yet just because you sold it and own a PSP.

Oh blimey no!

It's not dead, and proably will have a damned good life. I'm just talking from my perspective here.

I would have sold it even if I didnt buy the PSP. Aint got anything against it as such, it just isn;t my cup of tea so to speak.

But the someone like me comes along who has had both a DS and a PSP for about 5 months now, and has played many of the games available for both (7 DS games I've tried so far, and 14 PSP games) and I still proclaim that I LOVE my PSP and that I consider to be far better than my DS (though I do also say that I do still like my DS and am just waiting for the great games to come for it), this is with me taking all the games I've played into consideration... not just saying ooooh the PSP's screen is so much bigger or whatever (though obviously I also think the PSP hardware is also superiour, what can I say I'm a sucker for that big beatiful screen and those gorgeous graphics). Sorry I just don't think there are more than a couple really good games for the DS as of yet, whereas only a few of the PSP games I've tried weren't really good games... but then I get shot down big time by DS fans and get accused of being a fanboy. Seems to me you guys refuse to listen to ANYONE who says the PSP is better, period.

EDIT: one thing I do defiantely disagree with is the PSP having a better build quality than the DS... the quality control on the PSP's is just not there yet, still so many issues with the PSP and out of three PSPs I've had personally they have all been affected by these issues, whether it be dead pixels, dust or scratches on the LCD or scratches on the faceplate, bubbles in the faceplate, sticking buttons, UMD doors that don't close properly...

whereas out of three DS's that I've owned only one had problems, a couple dead pixels, otherwise they are in perfect shape with no quality control problems at all.

Back