Ds Vs Psp

C

codeninja

While Nintendo targets casual gamer with their DS, Sony squarely aims at the hardcore early late teen to 20 demography. So, this battle will define where the "mass market" really lies. It seems the first round went to Nintendo, and it'll be interesting to see if Sony can make a come back.

Related to what I was talking about, check out the link below, it's amusing.
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/lo...ey/13522047.htm

An alternate viewpoint would be that the games released for the DS have simply been more fun and more numerous than those released for the PSP.

IMO, all the ds's games have been a complete joke (pacpix, warioware touched, yoshi's t&g, feel the magic, rayman, mr driller). With the exception of a few gems (castlevania, and animal crossing (to some)). TBH, neither system has really been completley kick ass the way it should be. Nintendo and sony need to work on their games, b/c im disappointed in both. My dissappointment in Nintendo Slightly outweighs sony's though :p

The only thing PSP has going for it is GTA, and I don't even like that game too much. They both need something really interesting to speed things up for themselves. I heard of a game coming out for PSP, don't remember the name though, but it definitely targets the casual gamer. It's a game where you're a blob and you can't jump or move, you have to tilt the earth to roll yourself around, and you can split up into smaller blobs to get around obstacles... Kind of an interesting concept, to say the least.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 31 2005 at 04:57 PM said:
IMO, all the ds's games have been a complete joke (pacpix, warioware touched, yoshi's t&g, feel the magic, rayman, mr driller). With the exception of a few gems (castlevania, and animal crossing (to some)). TBH, neither system has really been completley kick ass the way it should be. Nintendo and sony need to work on their games, b/c im disappointed in both. My dissappointment in Nintendo Slightly outweighs sony's though :p

pacpix, warioware touched, yoshi's t&g, feel the magic, rayman, mr driller = casual games.

castlevania, GTA = hardcore games

So, you fall into the category of hardcore gamer. :) I consider myself as a casual gamer with ocassional crave for hardcore games such as Zelda, Halo, MGS, and FF series, but whenever I see my 4 year old with her friends having a blast playing Kirby Air Ride, that puzzles me. I don't get it, but they surely have fun with it. I guess, I don't understand gaming market for 4 year olds. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony hasn't even targeted gamers. You have to have games on the system to target gamers. The only thing that they have targeted is the one who likes to watch movies on the go. While Ninty has had a truck load of games being flooded toward their system. <_<

There are some very good games out for the DS, Viewtiful Joe brings the same game experience and graphics that is seen on the PS2 & NGC. Viewtiful Joe Rocks my DS! :D I believe it sets a standard that action games that follow are going to have to live up to or surpass on the DS. I think Mario Kart, Castlevania, Super mario 64 Ds, Animal Crossing, Metoes, Nintendogs, the coming Metroid Prime Hunter among others are giving us an idea of what is in store. the recent before Christmas sells in Japan shows us what the gamers want,
Friday, December 30, 2005
Japanese Sales~ Dec 19th-25th
Hardware

1. DS - 597,628
2. PSP - 161,332
3. PS2 - 97,475
4. GCN - 36,646
5. GBASP - 35,764
6. GBM - 19,261
7. Xbox360 - 5,674
8. GBA - 906
9. Xbox - 141

The DS is just killing the market in handheld sales. The GBA and Xbox are done for.
Gamers want good games!! B)
Believe me! I want a PSP. There is just nothing on it to justify a $250.00 USD purchase! If it came with a game instead of a movie...hmmmm.. ;) The only thing so far that has caused me to look its way is the CAPCOM classic arcade collection. :huh:

codeninja posted on Dec 31 2005 at 07:40 PM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 31 2005 at 04:57 PM said:

pacpix, warioware touched, yoshi's t&g, feel the magic, rayman, mr driller = casual games.

castlevania, GTA = hardcore games

So, you fall into the category of hardcore gamer. :) I consider myself as a casual gamer with ocassional crave for hardcore games such as Zelda, Halo, MGS, and FF series, but whenever I see my 4 year old with her friends having a blast playing Kirby Air Ride, that puzzles me. I don't get it, but they surely have fun with it. I guess, I don't understand gaming market for 4 year olds. :D

Yes, they are casual. But also consider them to be quite childish, nevermind completely sucking ass in my eyes. But to each is own.

btw codeninja, you having hookas avatar is throwing me off ;)

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 31 2005 at 11:57 PM said:
mario & luigi 2, mario kart, sonic rush, meteos, nintendogs, electroplankton, advance wars ds, and mario 64 are the games i own and the games I think highlight the console best. I think the problem is, you have some bullshit aversion to 'children's games' and as such are not the kind of person the DS aims towards. If you can't see games for their gameplay instead of the art style or the subject matter, you should probably sell the damn thing and go back to the mostly shitty but 'adult-themed' games the PSP provides.

Rico posted on Dec 31 2005 at 07:49 PM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 31 2005 at 11:57 PM said:
mario & luigi 2, mario kart, sonic rush, meteos, nintendogs, electroplankton, advance wars ds, and mario 64 are the games i own and the games I think highlight the console best. I think the problem is, you have some bullshit aversion to 'children's games' and as such are not the kind of person the DS aims towards. If you can't see games for their gameplay instead of the art style or the subject matter, you should probably sell the damn thing and go back to the mostly shitty but 'adult-themed' games the PSP provides.
I love how everyone gets defensive during a console fight. :lol:

I said "i will probably be getting castlevania in the near future". As for the other games you named, they all suck (AND YES I'VE PLAYED THEM ON MY FRIEND'S DS) with the exception of advance wars, which was a good game in general. I dont have a "bullshit adversion" to children's games at all. In fact I own a few myself for my ps2 (and I just bought animal crossing ;) ). I just like when a game has some substance to it, and itnt just fucking rubbing a screen like a deuchebag repeatedly

You SHOULD expect me to get defensive when

a) you generalise most DS games as crap despite critical opinion to the contrary. Sure, you might think them as crap, but you should acknowledge that you are in the minority when passing judgement.

b) you, just now, made troll comments such as 'I just like when a game has some substance to it, itnt just fucking rubbing a screen like a deuchebag repeatedly' when

i) using the stylus does not preclude the game from 'having substance'
ii) many of the games mentioned do not use the touchscreen
iii) using the stylus is not inherently 'douchebag', you are merely emphasizing your fear of using what you regard as a children's handheld
iv) you're buying games like animal crossing which use the stylus heavily

I suggest some more effort into any other baseless insults you might make, so they don't turn out as pathetic as this one.

codeninja posted on Dec 31 2005 at 09:40 PM said:
While Nintendo targets casual gamer with their DS, Sony squarely aims at the hardcore early late teen to 20 demography. So, this battle will define where the "mass market" really lies. It seems the first round went to Nintendo, and it'll be interesting to see if Sony can make a come back.

Related to what I was talking about, check out the link below, it's amusing.
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/lo...ey/13522047.htm
why do you feel you have to share this information with us?

when we all know ngage ownz

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 31 2005 at 05:45 PM said:
btw codeninja, you having hookas avatar is throwing me off ;)

I wanted something new for the new year. Happy new year to everyone!

BTW I wish this thread doesn't turn into another DS-PSP-you-suck-war thread. I see they represent completely polar opposite spectrum of gamers, and want to see more discussion on which side of gamers would turn out to be the majority in coming years.

Peace, please!

I just stated my opinion and said "to each is own" when Rico flipped out on me and said i make trolling comments. They are my opinions, and if you get defensive over them that's just sad and pathetic.

AND I BOUGHT ANIMAL CROSSING FOR GAMECUBE, NOT THE DS.

And I have no dfear of using anything whatsoever. Games on the ds are childish to me and therefore i dont feel the need to play them. When a game comes out that I want, i will buy it. Not everybody likes what you like or vice verse. get over it and grow up. All my opinions are clearly stated to be OPINIONS, and no one's flaming or trolling or making fun of what you like at all.

some people think they're too "cool" to play "childish" games.....

How are mario & luigi 2, mario kart, sonic rush, meteos, advance wars ds, and mario 64 childish?

About the PSP:
well, it's sales represent it's number of fun games vs. ds very accurately. GTA for it is quite fun, as is mercury. The racers are fun if you're really into that, but one racing game is enough for me (and that racing game is mario kart :p ).

I'm interested in hearing what your definition of childish game means. Does it have to do with the art style? Or, the way game plays? In my book, childish games are more like casual games. There are not much *cool* thing about it, but casual fun that you want over and over. Pacman or Galaga would be a good example, in my opinion. There is nothing adult about the game, but there is something about them that makes me come back for more. No fancy graphics or complex plot line exist in those games and some may even call it dumb, but, heck, it's fun to me.

i think that childish games have to do with the gameplay, not the art style.

EDIT: I don't think that childish means that it isn't adult, however. I think that there are just "normal" games that can be appreciated by just about everyone, then there are childish games which are mainly geared towards young children and then there are "adult" games which are specifically geared towards an older audience.

More example that poped up in my mind for casual games is brain training game that's currently available only in Japan for DS. It's been sold more than a million copies in Japan and been in top 10 chart since June of 05! Anyway, I don't know Japanese, but I had been hooked on to find out my brain age every day, while all I did to find out was that counting how many blue circles are on the screen or what 3+5 is kind of dumb stuffs. There is nothing super cool about it or fancy about it, but I was so happy when my brain age improved from 80 to 24, one day!

deadlychicken22 posted on Dec 31 2005 at 08:27 PM said:
EDIT: I don't think that childish means that it isn't adult, however. I think that there are just "normal" games that can be appreciated by just about everyone, then there are childish games which are mainly geared towards young children and then there are "adult" games which are specifically geared towards an older audience.

Even in SNES era, FF4 and FF6 were pretty adult when it comes to the contents (it even talked about abortion), while the graphics was typical childish stuff. GTA while being a mature title for 17+ in the US, the majority who bought the game must be teenagers who wanted to be adults. Many other mature titles, if you take out gory contents or some cheesy sexually suggestive themes, they're not much more "mature" about them compared to mario games minus cute graphics.

deadlychicken22 posted on Dec 31 2005 at 08:27 PM said:

Even in SNES era, FF4 and FF6 were pretty adult when it comes to the contents (it even talked about abortion), while the graphics was typical childish stuff. GTA while being a mature title for 17+ in the US, the majority who bought the game must be teenagers who wanted to be adults. Many other mature titles, if you take out gory contents or some cheesy sexually suggestive themes, they're not much more "mature" about them compared to mario games minus cute graphics.
That's exactly what I mean. It isn't really the amount of blood or violence, it's the intellectual level that the game is on that determines its age group.

Again (and for the final time):

My perspective on the ds's games is that none of them I care for (that's improper english, but it's 1 in the morning an im all liquored up on 5 glasses of champagne :rolleyes: ). It's as simple as that. Im not saying anyone is right and anyone is wrong. it all comes down to personal taste. Im not playing my psp as much as I have been in the past either. I said this to psymastr a few weeks back and it's basically how I feel: When a hot zelda game or something else that I find fun like that comes out for the ds, ill buy it, no doubt. My gba collection speaks numbers about how I feel about handhelds in general. The last gba game I bought was minish cap, and I fuckiong loved that. Other than that game, there hasnt been anything I was interested in. I just wish we can have a mature conversation here about opinions and reasons behind them without someone starting with name calling and bs like that. Seriously, I know this forum can be immature sometimes, but for the most part the people i see here often can be mature individuals.

Rico, Im sorry of i offended you, so I think it's best if I stay out of this thread unless someone wants to say something directed at me that's worth responding to.

Happy New Years everyone. God im fucking drunk

Back