Gley Lancer

lubidog

This is worth it. After reading about it in the excellent new look retro gamer magazine, I downloaded and have fallen in love...

So there it is, all I have to say. I just want you all to play this Jap Only shooter. It is a thing of utter beauty! So go and *look* for it. Now....

Yes, "Gley Lancer"

Thanks.

You downloaded....tut tut you mean you don't have the original, bloody warez monkeys ;)

All you base are belong to us!

Come on you guys, Thunderforce 4 all the way.
I hope you heard that Lubidog! Lubidog, if you like grey lancer... Thunderforce 4 is going to float your boat. Grey lancer is the titanic compared to thunderforce 4 (also called lighteningforce 4) or Thunderforce IV.. I have all Original versions, all right here in my home :) I LOVE thunderforce 4!
The music really really is amazing in this game, especially the boss music!

The game is astonishingly hard, and i mean REALLY REALLY hard! If you need lives, just hold a and start at sega logo and you go to option screen, put ur STOCK SHIP to 0 and all of a sudden when u start the game, u get 99 lives! cool ey? your reward for being a crazy person ;)

Grey Lancer = 6 out of ten
Zero Wing = All your base are belong to us

THUNDERFORCE IV = My favourite and best shooter on the Megadrive :)

Seriously man, play it right to the end. If you can, play it on a console or an emulator first with BIG sound (or through headphones). also, you would need to put it on fskp 0 (overclock the cpu on 2x to 266mhz aswell) to really enjoy this, there is so much detail, you NEED the have it running smooth :)

I still remember the first time I played Thunderforce IV all the way through. It was, and still is, mind blowingly good. I have since played it through again and again. I had to really look hard and finally found it, when it first hit the shelves. It is worth every penny to own the cart. :D

:D I thought you might have been reading RetroGamer after seeing this title.

I still remember buying this from a good videogames import shop that used to be in Apsley. Over half my Megadrive games were imports from that shop, can't remember the shops name anymore.

Gley Lancer
Thunderforce IV - if I had to pick a favorite it would be this title but only just.
ZeroWing
Sagaia

I enjoyed playing all these games on my Megadrive. :D

To be honest, Thundeforce is on my card too! All downloaded from the original carts that my corrupt uncle bought for me*.

Am really looking forward to Thunderforce, but am gonna waste a few more hours on Gley Lancer first (just spoilt for choice!!!!). I stuck in a pair of headphones this morning and was just blown away by the soundtrack. The end of the third or fourth stage-this voice yelling "Danger Danger" in my ear while facing this massive beautiful monster!!!

So if Thundeforce can beat this, then I will be one happy boy! I had almost forgotten my love for shmups, but Mame and Galaxians reminded me! So let's turn this thread into a Shmups recco thread. Anyone have any other great games to share?

And am I the only one, or was the last Retro Gamer a great edition? If nothing else, for Gley Lancer....

Ah, this is a favorite of mine. Such excellent music, very fast gameplay, decent graphics, very inventive weaponry modes too. I like "Search" options the most personally ..

YES! Thunderforce will blow you away man. thunderforce IV that is :)

The first stage (sprite) is amazing. when you see it, you will know what i mean!!

Some shooters like this like just throw tonnes and tonnes of bullets at you and cal this gameplay.
Thunderforce IV throws ENEMIES at you! With most games like this, its standard to start in space.. or things like that. Big bosses?...

Did you say big bosses? Well!! try out thunderforce IV and let me know what you think. Hands down, next to streets of rage 2 thunderforce IV IS my favourite soundtrack!

I just love this game, i have played it SOOO many times now, completed it on mania aswell..

If you complete it on that level of difficulty, your score is MUCH bigger, and ths you get an ACE ranking at the end. go to the options screen at the end, and there are several more songs to listen to which are like remixes etc and some more original tracks!! :) happy time!!!

Some other games i recommend you try is ROCKETKNIGHT ADVENTURES! this has some gameplay elements similar to grey lancer etc etc. One of my absolute fave games also.

Also try out quack shot, simply amazing game :)

also give RANGER X a try, some big bosses in that... :)

Thanks, will try all these out!!! I'll let you know how I get on...

Just played Thundeforce iv! It is amazing!!! The parallax scrolling, the speed as you go down low, the feeling of being hugh in the air etc!

Yes, this is one great game!!!! I still recommend Gley Lancer, as it really builds up well!

But this Thunderforce game will keep me 'entertained'! Thanks!!!

lubidog posted on Feb 26 2006 at 07:02 PM said:
Just played Thundeforce iv! It is amazing!!! The parallax scrolling, the speed as you go down low, the feeling of being hugh in the air etc!

Yes, this is one great game!!!! I still recommend Gley Lancer, as it really builds up well!

But this Thunderforce game will keep me 'entertained'! Thanks!!!

You could also try Thunderforce III, Which is basically TF4 without the parallax and different levels. Still a good game though.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
NeoStuey posted on Feb 24 2006 at 04:48 AM said:
:D I thought you might have been reading RetroGamer after seeing this title.

I still remember buying this from a good videogames import shop that used to be in Apsley. Over half my Megadrive games were imports from that shop, can't remember the shops name anymore.

Gley Lancer
Thunderforce IV - if I had to pick a favorite it would be this title but only just.
ZeroWing
Sagaia

I enjoyed playing all these games on my Megadrive. :D

I feel that a few more could be added to that list. Aleste, Eliminate Down, Hellfire, and Verytex. That would round out my list of intense shooters for the MD. :) Out of this list, I would have to say that Gley Lancer and Thunder Force IV have the best bosses.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm. i LOVED TF2 and TF3 when they first came out (and, since..)

For some reason Thunderforce 4 just never appealed to me.. maybe by the time it came out shooters were feeling a little "stale" or just Genesis graphics in general were.. but overall the thing struck me as sort of sloppy in a way. Just not as tight and exciting as the preceding games. I will definitely give it more of a chance, as the other TF games have always been pretty much my favorite shooters ever..

Same with Gley Lancer, I never gave it so much of a chance to get deep into it, again I probably checked it out too late... but I want to spend more time with it.

Other games I remember fondly are Whip Rush as mentioned before (maybe it didn't age so well, but I used to have a blast with it!) - Gaiares (kind of a chore to play now, but again at the time - it was something else!)

Games I can still sit down and have a great time with are Aleste/Musha, by compile - likewise their other games (Blazing Lazers on Turbografx and Space Megaforce on SNES) are still just intense fun for me, shame the former never was properly emulated on GPEngine!!

I tried Thunder Force (II-IV) and Zero-Wing is much much better. All the graphics in the TF games are distracting, and the overall game feels tacky. Bah go play 1942 on NES.

- Alex

Back