More Psp News, If Ya Care

Octavious

Programer Guru! ...in the making
Website
www.retroportables.4x2.net
well, Its now confirmed, sony will ship .5 million units in Japan for the opening date of the 12th , a half a million more during first 3 months of '05 , and America and Europe will recieve a million each before end of March '05
so, that means an early 05 release date
cool
also, Sony is planning to make computer addons ( USB tenativley for now ) that will give off 802.11b if you dont want to go through the hassle of getting a network
they say it will act as a mini-network of 802.11b compat. devices and your computer only
so wireless will be more obtainable
Also, Sony spokespeople hinted to a possable upgraded PSP being released if finished soon enough with a more powerful version of same chip ( no more speed, kinda like having a faster Front side Bus tho ) and a differant chip archetecture ( <- spelling?? )

also also... EA Games plans to incorporate a feature in some games that allows play between PSP and PS2 consoles using the same game ( thats neat )

and finally, I think I seen it mentioned, but the PSP WILL have an upgradable firmware

thats all, just thought someone might want to see it

also, heres a nice article compairing the PSP and DS , showing some arguments settling hope

Posted By Josh on Sep 10 2004 

When Sony announced that they would be entering the portable gaming industry, fans began to compare the two systems because they thought they would be competing against each other. The fact is, that couldn’t be further from the truth.
Sony and Nintendo are going after two different types of gamers, just as they have been since Sony entered the gaming scene. If history has taught us anything, it is that Sony and Nintendo have two very different ideas of what they want to achieve; this may have been the reason for the separation in the first place (Sony was working on a project for Nintendo which eventually became the PlayStation).

Nintendo has set their sights on the younger gamer – from zero to 16 years of age. There is clearly nothing wrong with this approach, as they are still very much in the game, but that is a fact that some fans try to ignore. Nintendo makes consoles and portables in a variety of fashionable colors and are very durable against all kinds of childish abuse. The games are generally more youth oriented, even though they have tried to sway this image with some mature additions to their gaming line-up. Overall, the youth market is their main target, and they have captured it quite successfully.

Sony, on the other hand, is looking for the older gaming audience which has been growing rapidly over the past few years (16 to 28 year-olds). Besides very limited edition runs, their consoles come in one color: the original in gray and the sequel in black. The consoles are considered more on the line of electronics than gaming equipment. The widest variety of games can be found on PlayStation consoles, which attracts more customers than any competitor, including Nintendo. Sony has been eying the portable gaming market for some time, and has chosen now to embark.

This is not an offensive, as some fans are trying to define it, but rather an exploration. Sony isn’t necessarily trying to take market share away from Nintendo, so much, as to create a new market within the portable gaming scene. As with consoles, Sony is aiming for a completely different market than Nintendo has. Sure, some gamers who are looking for a different portable gaming experience may slip over, but Sony’s bread and butter will be new gamers who currently don’t portable game. It is a riskier approach, but one that Sony is sure to dominate.

Let’s first look at the Nintendo DS. First off, the DS is not a successor to the GBA, it is merely a place holder until the next generation of GameBoys is released in 2006. The graphics can be best compared to the Nintendo64, a 64-bit system which couldn’t compete with the already established PlayStation. The system looks durable, because it is durable. Many smooth plastic parts in a clamshell design to protect the two screens. And yes, those two screens do not add up to more than a “ain’t it cool” factor which will either lead to success or complete failure (think VirtuaBoy).

As per usual, Nintendo will be rolling out new versions of archaic series such as Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and Metroid. Nintendo has made a killing off of putting Mario is every scenario possible, so don’t think they won’t do it again with a new system. Mario DS, Mario Kart DS, Mario Paper DS, Mario Tennis DS, etc. – while these will no doubt be spectacular games, if you are looking for something different, you won’t find it here.

The PSP, on the other hand, is a little more dramatic. Its power will be very similar to PS2, a 128-bit system, and you can expect the games to look as good as or better than their current PS2 counterparts. The PSP will not be as durable as the DS, and will have to be treated as an electronic device (think Palm Pilot). That is reasonable considering Sony doesn’t expect children to be taking it out on the playground, as they see adults using it while on the subway or on a plane. PSP owners are looking for highly technical equipment, and that is what they will get.

For games, Sony has implemented a “no direct ports” policy, meaning that existing games on PS2 will not be allowed on the new system as a direct port. While this doesn’t mean that these games won’t make it onto the PSP, it does mean that you will see new features to create a new gaming experience. Sony is not only working towards bringing the best classic series onto the PSP, but also bring new series on to create a balanced library of titles.

These are clearly two different markets. Nintendo will be going after their core audience of diehard fans. Those individuals who have grown up with Nintendo as their primary portable gaming device will flock to the DS for a familiar gaming experience. Sony is creating a new market of gamers who have yet to own a portable gaming device. People who enjoy the experience that PS2 brings them will no doubt feel right at home on the PSP. So, these two devices aren’t competing against each other – they are going after two very different types of gamers.

~Octavious

Where did you find this info? Only a couple of days ago, Sony announced they would only have 500,000 PSPs at launch date, now suddenly it's 5 million? :blink:
Also, where did you find that article? It's mainly just plain not true.
Nintendo has set their sights on the younger gamer – from zero to 16 years of age.
Certainly not true for the DS. In Japan, maybe yes, but definately not in the US. They've launched a massive advertising campaign targetting primarily an older audience.

but Sony’s bread and butter will be new gamers who currently don’t portable game.
Again, not true. If anything, it would be Nintendo trying to get people who don't currently play portable games, with simple controls by touching.

And yes, those two screens do not add up to more than a “ain’t it cool” factor which will either lead to success or complete failure
Erm... what? Isn't that entirely this guy's opinion?

if you are looking for something different, you won’t find it here.
Something different is exactly what the DS's whole point is.

For games, Sony has implemented a “no direct ports” policy
Oh yeah, sure :D

Nintendo will be going after their core audience of diehard fans. Those individuals who have grown up with Nintendo as their primary portable gaming device will flock to the DS for a familiar gaming experience.
Again, not true at all, hence the multi-million dollar advertising campaign.

its .5 million not 5 million, read slower
.5 mil = 500,000
anyways, ur countering that with your opinion
I just thought people would like it
guess not, guess their to attached to their baby to see both sides of the pisture
I love the PSP, but I can see the inovation the DS brings to the game
by the way, how old are you?
how can you prove everything that you went against from the quotes? ya cant

~Octavious

Octavious posted on Oct 30 2004 at 11:44 PM said:
its .5 million not 5 million, read slower
.5 mil = 500,000
Sorry, didn't notice that.

how can you prove everything that you went against from the quotes? ya cant
What would you like me to prove? I get all my info from IGN and Gamespot, so it should all be there somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Octavious posted on Oct 30 2004 at 11:44 PM said:
I love the PSP,
You are in love with a console which hasnt even been released and you havent even used yet?

Talk about fanboyism.

I completely agree with the artcle. Thanks for the info Octavious. Interesting a new gameboy in 2006....

yeah the new game boy will be shown next e3 alongside the revolution. Ow and heres some more facts. for sony's 500,000 psps' there will be 2 million ds's in japan and for america's and europe's 1 million there will be over two million machines.

I too completly agree with this article, in fact I'd like to post it on another forum if it's okay with you, also the source would be cool to add.

PSP will make the perfet companion along side the GP32.

What's everyone's views on the Launch games? Anything the that stands out? I've ordered Tiger Woods since I like the console game and enjoy golf - but am just wondering if I've missed a Jap gem somewhere?

Kop_007 posted on Oct 31 2004 at 10:29 AM said:
PSP will make the perfet companion along side the GP32.

What's everyone's views on the Launch games? Anything the that stands out? I've ordered Tiger Woods since I like the console game and enjoy golf - but am just wondering if I've missed a Jap gem somewhere?

I saw the PSP launch line-up, and I'll be honest I didn't think much of it. I want Ape Escape damnit.

The PSP does look great, but in the article where it says the DS can't do anything new-what on earth can the PSP do thats new?

Show me the games and the controls and I will decide. Right now, I don't care about "what could be done somewhen".

Actually, I will -maybe- get one of those two handhelds, if one is hackable and can load warez and stuff. And I think most people in a forum like this will think so. - But noone would admit it openly.

as the ds uses gba carts as well as its new format, u could still use a flash cart, this is what i willl be doing, but of course the psp uses memory stick, so that could provide a possibility

ya, up to 2 gig is the biggest card made now
cant wait for emulators on there
anyways, you an use the article, its not mine
And the US and UK launches will have more games
21 at the launch for Jap right now, and more to come, then those will proly be in our launch
Ill keep looking for more info for yall
and to the guy who said im a fan boy, no, not really
You can apreciate the raw power of a handheld before it comes out
I mean really, you can love it beacause with a big company backing a product, you can be that there will be atleast 1 good game lol

~Octavious

I cant wait to get it myself. I do hope in the future that it's somehow cracked open.

Here is some more news for all you PSP fans.

Gimp: Take2 have confirmed a game is being made for PSP, but no details on what game.

Back