Ds Vs Psp

I am beginning to think that it is wrong to even consider comparing the PSP to the DS. The DS should be compared to the other handheld gaming systems in the market. The PSP is a Portable Media Player that just happens to play games. It is a new line of PMPs. I would like to see it compared in sales and also how it stacks up against other Portable Media Players. I would think that price wise it might have an advantage. From what I have seen, most sell for close to $400.00 USD and up. The advantage of those, of course, is the built in hard drive for media storage. I think we had preconcieved ideas of another handheld portable, like we have been used to in the past, as the PSP went to market. Our gaming cuture had twisted our minds into believing that we were going to have a powerful handheld dedicated gaming playstation in our hands. Some of us even foamed at the mouth in anticipation. What we have is a Portable Media Player! Not a dedicated game machine! If there were no DVD players in exsistance, and the PS2 hit the market with the capability to play movies on new DVD technology. We would have experienced probably the same emotions and the same problems comparing it to other gaming systems. Just a fews thoughts on the matter. B)

Darkman, I have to disagree with you on that. Sony marketed the PSP as a games device (that can play movies) from day one. It even looks like a ps1 controler with a screen on it. Even now most all their commercials are geared towards game play, like the line of "Nut" commercials. The only mention you hear of UMDs are on movie commercials: "...now available on dvd and umd". Most of my friends who own a PSP initially bought it for games, then later on bought a few movies after they got bored.
I could have possibly kept mine for movies, but i dont like the UMD format for reasons I wont get into here. I'd much rather buy the actual DVD, and take a few hours to convert to divx for play on a device such as the gp2x.

Just my opinion of course.
edit: BTW, calvin and hobbes kicks ass.

Darkman, I have to disagree with you on that. Sony marketed the PSP as a games device (that can play movies) from day one. It even looks like a ps1 controler with a screen on it. Even now most all their commercials are geared towards game play, like the line of "Nut" commercials. The only mention you hear of UMDs are on movie commercials: "...now available on dvd and umd". Most of my friends who own a PSP initially bought it for games, then later on bought a few movies after they got bored.
I could have possibly kept mine for movies, but i dont like the UMD format for reasons I wont get into here. I'd much rather buy the actual DVD, and take a few hours to convert to divx for play on a device such as the gp2x.

Just my opinion of course.
edit: BTW, calvin and hobbes kicks ass.

I really wish I could agree with you. I really do. I see the same commercials. But when I visit my local video game stores, all I see is a wall of UMD movies and 5 or 6 games. I visit local retail and discount stores and I see a glutton of UMD movies and 5 or 6 games. Maybe we are seeing the same pattern of marketing that they used on the PS2. Throw the system out there and maybe the movies will keep it floating until the games arrive. I hope that is it. I really want a PSP, but I have yet to see the games that grab me and make me want the system. (I did not buy my PS2 until I saw the games.) I know people that have the PSP system and are frustrated, because they do not wish to just watch movies and play poorly rehashed ported games that they have already played on the bigger console. I know this one guy who has not even taken his out of the box because he is waiting for the games. I do know of others that are waiting for those games and have yet to buy the system. But you do have to admit that this handheld is unique. I still think it is a Portable Media Player. That description is because it plays movies, music, & games. That is the way it is being marketed. Look at what comes in the box at purchase. Is it a game? Or is it a movie? They may be showing something different in the commercials, but they are doing something else when it comes to the packaging. And it is not geared toward the gamer. During its lifespan it will never be a dedicated game machine. And there are those who like the PSP for that reason. I am really waiting for the gamers package deal, the PSP that includes a game in the box. B)

Calvin taught me everything that I know about how to handle aliens. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't know what stores you've been going to, but every game store, every EB, Gamestop, Exchange, i've been to has tons of games and a few UMD's. But i do agree with you mostly. What they should've done is made the demo UMD have some playable demos. Throw in a couple of those and walla. But yeah, if you saw my PSP setup, its geared towards the movies than gaming, i got the thing that has the two big speakers on the side. I only have 2 games because, well, there's nothing for this system i want to play. I am very disappointed in the games, but i think they are getting better. Depending on what you like there are some very good games for it. To say your not taking out of the box because of the games is just dumb. Why would you pay full price for something and not use it and 2 years down the road when its half the price with twice the games pull it out. C'mon, we're not dumb here.

i don't know what stores you've been going to, but every game store, every EB, Gamestop, Exchange, i've been to has tons of games and a few UMD's. But i do agree with you mostly. What they should've done is made the demo UMD have some playable demos. Throw in a couple of those and walla. But yeah, if you saw my PSP setup, its geared towards the movies than gaming, i got the thing that has the two big speakers on the side. I only have 2 games because, well, there's nothing for this system i want to play. I am very disappointed in the games, but i think they are getting better. Depending on what you like there are some very good games for it. To say your not taking out of the box because of the games is just dumb. Why would you pay full price for something and not use it and 2 years down the road when its half the price with twice the games pull it out. C'mon, we're not dumb here.

The Game stores I'm speaking of were Eb games & Gamestop. I even drove into another city in a nearby state, same results. Maybe they are just different where you live. As for not taking it out of the box. The person bought it when it came out expecting certain type games.
I for one would like to see a Final fantasy different from any other release, and maybe a few other RPGs. I hope the Gradius collection makes it over here. Maybe I have not waited long enough. The first year of a game system can be the most dissapointing one of it's life span. Maybe I'm just weird, but I would never use a handheld to watch a movie. I don't think of one in those terms. I'm into gaming when it comes to a handheld. Later this year I will have some money saved for a new handheld. I am leaning, at the moment, way toward the GP2X in hope by then that a lot of the bugs will be worked out of the software. If enough of the type of games, that I am looking for on the PSP, are there, I might go for the PSP. But as I said I am leaning way toward the GP2X. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
The PSP is a hybrid and should be treated as such. It's not JUST for games, it's not just for movies, or even music for that matter. You dont have to watch movies on it but the option is there, I don't even listen to music myself. I did however convert my DVD of Ong Bak to MP4 and watched it on the train on the way home from work, then after it was finished I popped my game save Memstick in and played some GTA. It's multipurpose and it's fairly good at it.

Sony is a MEDIA company they produce something for almost every physical sense so it's logical they'd create something that could make use of the companiese resources.

I see a mixed bag in stores.. local gamestops have about 50/50 games and umds.. Now walmart on the other hand has mostly movies, with only a few games.
A few things contributing to the mass amount of movies to games:
The obvious lack of must-have titles.
Stores make a pretty decent profit off the UMDs, as compared to games.
I'm told that people are more inclined to make an "impulse buy" of a movie, as opposed to a game. People can look at a pile of movies, and either know what they want, or just grab one on a whim. The average person on the other hand usually wont just grab any old game without thinking it over a little more.

I think the bottom line is that Sony doesnt really care whether your buying games or movies, since they're making money either way. I know a lot of people bought PSPs expecting a games machine, so hopefully we'll see some more selection in the future.

well the wal mart by me sells almost every game available but yet there are still more UMDS, THATS BECAUSE THERE ARE MORE MOVIES THAN GAMES!!!!! Sears Grand..same thing..why??? BECAUSE THERE ARE MORE MOVIES THAN GAMES!!!, every major dept. store that sells PSP stuff has more UMD movies than games, why? BECAUSE THERE ARE MORE MOVIES THAN GAMES. But the stores like EB and GameStop are pretty even or have more games, why? BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE TRADING IN THEIR GAMES.

It has to do with the amount of games and the PSP will NEVER have more games than movies so you will always see more movies than games. If the PSP had a game released every tuesday when new DVD's get released, then this would be the greatest system ever, but it doesn't. its that simple.

If it had more games than movies it would be concidered a glut, no one would be able to keep up with the number of games released if that were the case and you'd have thousands of wasted dollars being spent by stores each week to stock more games than anyone could play in a reasonable time frame.

Moves = faster to make (3-6 months on the average) & faster to watch (2 hours at most on average)
Games = Take longer (generally a year or more) & last longer (10 to 40 hours playtime on an average action game.)

Back